What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Vicki C and @Misschief - I really love sour/sweet stuff so now the idea of a strawberry rhubarb pie sounds really intriguing

But then....just as I thought I might take a risk, I read @AliOop 's post and realized there is a good chance I'd end up poisoning myself. Which, all things considered would make a pretty hilarious obituary. I am, however, going to see right now if Amazon has some sort of rhubarb good that I can try so I get an idea.

Thank you!

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Vicki C and @Misschief - I really love sour/sweet stuff so now the idea of a strawberry rhubarb pie sounds really intriguing

But then....just as I thought I might take a risk, I read @AliOop 's post and realized there is a good chance I'd end up poisoning myself. Which, all things considered would make a pretty hilarious obituary. I am, however, going to see right now if Amazon has some sort of rhubarb good that I can try so I get an idea.

Thank you!
On its own, rhubarb is quite tart which is why it pairs so well with strawberry. It helps that they also share a season. And, yes, the leaves are toxic but the stems are not. That's the good part.

Zing

Reaction score
I have wanted to try some sort of rhubarb dish for a while just because I have no idea what it tastes like. I've never had it and I cannot find a single place in these parts that carries a rhubarb pie.
*Must. Not. React. Must. Keep. Poker. Face. Can't do it-*
WHADDAYA MEAN YOU'VE NEVER HAD RHUBARB??!! Rhubarb strawberry sauce? Rhubarb strawberry pie? Rhubarb cake? Rhubarb bars? Crisp? Oh, honey, so sorry for you. I tell all my neighbors, don't even ask, just pull all the stalks you want. Seriously, it's a tasty, tangy treat. Like celery in texture, cranberry in taste.

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHADDAYA MEAN YOU'VE NEVER HAD RHUBARB??!! Rhubarb strawberry sauce? Rhubarb strawberry pie? Rhubarb cake? Rhubarb bars? Crisp? Oh, honey, so sorry for you. I tell all my neighbors, don't even ask, just pull all the stalks you want. Seriously, it's a tasty, tangy treat. Like celery in texture, cranberry in taste.
LOL, after reading this post I feel pretty sorry for myself! there was a time when I tried like every diner, every pie shop, every smaller looking place that seemed like they might have something special like that, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Now I'm on a pandemic mission to get myself some rhubarb!

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today's adventures in soap dough- yesterday's rebatch had too much water and needed to dry out. Yesterday's soap dough was simply too soft and also needs to dry out. After much squishing, squashing, leaving to dry, putting them in the oven, and letting them dry some more, they're still a bit sticky. But, I pulled out my extruder, and extruded the dough into fine noodles. This is to help break up any chunks I may have missed and to help them dry faster. I've also corrected some of the shades with micas and with adding TD, which I'm pleased has worked rather well. So, hopefully tomorrow I can finally make the embeds and finish these two soaps.
Meanwhile, noodles anyone?

Attachments

Sudds

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty soap! I often forget to swirl the inside till after I have swirled the top. Makes me so annoyed! A few times I have successfully put the hanger tool gingerly down one side and managed to get in a little inside swirl anyway. Mostly I just leave it and call it good.
I like the top, it reminds me of tutti-fruity!

melonpan

Reaction score
It felt like an accomplishment alone the fact that I intercepted my partner preparing rice for lunch and I remembered to ask: "Can you keep the water from the 2nd wash of the rice?"
"Sure, what for?"
"There's this soap I want to try..."

48 hours later my first take on the double rice soap (instead of a triple one as I didn't have rice powder) has finished CPOP'ing in the oven. There's just a smallish crack on the top (possibly from the sugar?).
I've tweaked the recipe from my previous soba water one so I'm very curious to see if they end up different (except for the additives). They are just a few weeks apart so it will be interesting to compare the two.
I've set the end of the curing to 8 weeks so it will be a long one to wait for though!

Not much here but I did receive a Bulk Apothecary order and turned my curing soaps.
I never thought about turning my curing soap. Would this be to turn them upside down so the bottom gets more airflow too?

Attachments

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as a follow up, I searched Amazon and there is a bakery selling strawberry rhubarb pies for $48 per pie (shipping inclusive) if your wife ever wants to get in the market. I'm hesitating, but I'm sure by tomorrow I'll just buy the pie, even though I only want a piece, because the reviews make it sound like the best pie.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A cut of my ocean colored drop swirl.
Something about my recipe is taking longer to be able to unmold lately. The only thing I can think of is my new type of tallow. It’s softer. 🤷🏻‍♀️
could it be the weather?
Anyway... It turned out pretty. The top is super shimmery. But, it’s hard to tell in still pics.
Started prepping for a new set of pull throughs comparing my old recipe to a new modification. Should be interesting.

What % PPO of SL do you use?

Attachments

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's probably the best description of rhubarb that I've ever read.

Zing

Reaction score
I never thought about turning my curing soap. Would this be to turn them upside down so the bottom gets more airflow too?
I cure my soaps for 6 weeks. Every Saturday I turn them to a different side to maximize the time each side gets exposed to air. Turning is actually one of my simple pleasures. That and reaching under the towels to feel gelling soap. This passes for fun now, thanks to the pandemic.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
IMHO, rhubarb and strawberry is overrated. Now, rhubarb and blueberry...oh my.

violets2217

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turning is actually one of my simple pleasures
I often find myself mesmerized by my pretty swirled soap when I'm washing my hands or soaping up the loofah....

Anyway, so I am now using Soapmaker3 and have spent the last few days getting my recipes straight and inventory accurate. Which also included cleaning out and organizing my soaping supply area. I got to throw away my 1 bottle of neem oil & I enjoyed it! I was crusty and expired and still smelled horrid! I've come to the conclusion that #1 I have a lot of stuff! #2 soap making is not an inexpensive hobby and #3 (I already Knew this, but now it's verified in plain sight) I have way too much soap and stuff! According to the very accurate database... $130 in oils and lye & $430 in additives :rolleyes: 210 total products worth about $250... And I have 2 orders out there in the world to be delivered! And I figured out that I've gifted or donated over 100 bars of soap in the past year... I don't mind that at all! Very enlightening day!

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
I made my third (and final) attempt at yin/yang embeds a few days ago. It did not come out exactly how I had wanted it (yet again) so I cut away from the finished attempt sections that looked decent to embed in my slab mold. I will revisit the design in a few months after I've sufficiently recovered my ego.

For rhubarb pie fanatics, I give you toe best pie recipe you've ever had the pleasure to make (and eat!): Bluebarb Pie

I use a different pie crust recipe, but the filling stays the same.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For rhubarb pie fanatics, I give you toe best pie recipe you've ever had the pleasure to make (and eat!): Bluebarb Pie

I use a different pie crust recipe, but the filling stays the same.
This went right into my recipe folder - thanks! Occasionally the grocery store will carry frozen rhubarb; otherwise, I will wait impatiently until my friend's plant is producing again in the spring. I also asked her for a cutting so I can grow my own this year. She owes me since she never used any of her huge rhubarb plant till I taught her how to make rhubarb-applesauce in the crockpot, seasoned with cinnamon and sweetened with honey from her own bees. She and her husband went gaga over it.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
This went right into my recipe folder - thanks! Occasionally the grocery store will carry frozen rhubarb; otherwise, I will wait impatiently until my friend's plant is producing again in the spring. I also asked her for a cutting so I can grow my own this year. She owes me since she never used any of her huge rhubarb plant till I taught her how to make rhubarb-applesauce in the crockpot, seasoned with cinnamon and sweetened with honey from her own bees. She and her husband went gaga over it.
You're welcome! I think I need to make rhubarb applesauce next year. I use it in savory dishes, too. I made a chicken dish made with rhubarb and didn't tell my husband that it was the secret ingredient. He loved it! It disintegrates into the sauce and mellows as it cooks down. Skillet Chicken With Rhubarb Recipe

Last edited:

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have wanted to try some sort of rhubarb dish for a while just because I have no idea what it tastes like. I've never had it and I cannot find a single place in these parts that carries a rhubarb pie. Because I am not particularly good at pie making I don't want to try making it on my own because I'm certain I'd ruin rhubarb for myself and it could be very, very tasty. Oh well, just another thing on my bucket list.
Ya gotta eat it with sweet hot, runny custard to make it good. It's a very tart taste. Actually - hubby has a yummy pie recipe with strawberries and rhubarb.
Soapy thing: here's my Watermint and Clementine soap cut today. Disappointed in my drop swirl as the batter got thicker and thicker : (

Attachments

ResolvableOwl

Reaction score
Stress-testing my M&P-ification protocol for CP soap (left: original CP soap, right: fused with propylene glycol, xylitol, glycerol, and isomalt).

I start to like the clarity, yet I have to pay the price for the low palmitic/stearic content in a weird jelly candy-like texture. Palm and cocoa are not the answer, I'll have to ramp up hydrogenated canola even further next time.

And yes, those are lovely mini-chocolate bar moulds (4 g each)! 🥰

Attachments