What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It felt like an accomplishment alone the fact that I intercepted my partner preparing rice for lunch and I remembered to ask: "Can you keep the water from the 2nd wash of the rice?"
"Sure, what for?"
"There's this soap I want to try..."

48 hours later my first take on the double rice soap (instead of a triple one as I didn't have rice powder) has finished CPOP'ing in the oven. There's just a smallish crack on the top (possibly from the sugar?).
I've tweaked the recipe from my previous soba water one so I'm very curious to see if they end up different (except for the additives). They are just a few weeks apart so it will be interesting to compare the two.
I've set the end of the curing to 8 weeks so it will be a long one to wait for though!

Not much here but I did receive a Bulk Apothecary order and turned my curing soaps.
I never thought about turning my curing soap. Would this be to turn them upside down so the bottom gets more airflow too?

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_092023977.jpg
    IMG_20210124_092023977.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 24
*Must. Not. React. Must. Keep. Poker. Face. Can't do it-*
WHADDAYA MEAN YOU'VE NEVER HAD RHUBARB??!! Rhubarb strawberry sauce? Rhubarb strawberry pie? Rhubarb cake? Rhubarb bars? Crisp? Oh, honey, so sorry for you. I tell all my neighbors, don't even ask, just pull all the stalks you want. Seriously, it's a tasty, tangy treat. Like celery in texture, cranberry in taste.

Just as a follow up, I searched Amazon and there is a bakery selling strawberry rhubarb pies for $48 per pie (shipping inclusive) if your wife ever wants to get in the market. I'm hesitating, but I'm sure by tomorrow I'll just buy the pie, even though I only want a piece, because the reviews make it sound like the best pie.

https://www.amazon.com/Burgers-Smok...ywords=RHUBARB+pie&qid=1611485695&sr=8-3&th=1

A cut of my ocean colored drop swirl.
Something about my recipe is taking longer to be able to unmold lately. The only thing I can think of is my new type of tallow. It’s softer. 🤷🏻‍♀️
could it be the weather?
Anyway... It turned out pretty. The top is super shimmery. But, it’s hard to tell in still pics.
Started prepping for a new set of pull throughs comparing my old recipe to a new modification. Should be interesting.

What % PPO of SL do you use?

Attachments

• E1F2B963-4B15-4AF0-A9BF-C3A32F2CCFA1.png
    E1F2B963-4B15-4AF0-A9BF-C3A32F2CCFA1.png
    973.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 51C5F72E-D71F-4051-BC53-D3214F906E1E.jpeg
    51C5F72E-D71F-4051-BC53-D3214F906E1E.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 23
  • EBD601E8-E1C9-41C7-A93D-03005A8D7145.jpeg
    EBD601E8-E1C9-41C7-A93D-03005A8D7145.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 7B300CB9-33D0-40A5-A50F-FB63DB64FBE9.jpeg
    7B300CB9-33D0-40A5-A50F-FB63DB64FBE9.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 17
WHADDAYA MEAN YOU'VE NEVER HAD RHUBARB??!! Rhubarb strawberry sauce? Rhubarb strawberry pie? Rhubarb cake? Rhubarb bars? Crisp? Oh, honey, so sorry for you. I tell all my neighbors, don't even ask, just pull all the stalks you want. Seriously, it's a tasty, tangy treat. Like celery in texture, cranberry in taste.
That's probably the best description of rhubarb that I've ever read.

I never thought about turning my curing soap. Would this be to turn them upside down so the bottom gets more airflow too?
I cure my soaps for 6 weeks. Every Saturday I turn them to a different side to maximize the time each side gets exposed to air. Turning is actually one of my simple pleasures. That and reaching under the towels to feel gelling soap. This passes for fun now, thanks to the pandemic.

IMHO, rhubarb and strawberry is overrated. Now, rhubarb and blueberry...oh my.

Turning is actually one of my simple pleasures

I often find myself mesmerized by my pretty swirled soap when I'm washing my hands or soaping up the loofah....

Anyway, so I am now using Soapmaker3 and have spent the last few days getting my recipes straight and inventory accurate. Which also included cleaning out and organizing my soaping supply area. I got to throw away my 1 bottle of neem oil & I enjoyed it! I was crusty and expired and still smelled horrid! I've come to the conclusion that #1 I have a lot of stuff! #2 soap making is not an inexpensive hobby and #3 (I already Knew this, but now it's verified in plain sight) I have way too much soap and stuff! According to the very accurate database... $130 in oils and lye & $430 in additives :rolleyes: 210 total products worth about $250... And I have 2 orders out there in the world to be delivered! And I figured out that I've gifted or donated over 100 bars of soap in the past year... I don't mind that at all! Very enlightening day!

I made my third (and final) attempt at yin/yang embeds a few days ago. It did not come out exactly how I had wanted it (yet again) so I cut away from the finished attempt sections that looked decent to embed in my slab mold. I will revisit the design in a few months after I've sufficiently recovered my ego.

For rhubarb pie fanatics, I give you toe best pie recipe you've ever had the pleasure to make (and eat!): Bluebarb Pie

I use a different pie crust recipe, but the filling stays the same.

For rhubarb pie fanatics, I give you toe best pie recipe you've ever had the pleasure to make (and eat!): Bluebarb Pie

I use a different pie crust recipe, but the filling stays the same.
This went right into my recipe folder - thanks! Occasionally the grocery store will carry frozen rhubarb; otherwise, I will wait impatiently until my friend's plant is producing again in the spring. I also asked her for a cutting so I can grow my own this year. She owes me since she never used any of her huge rhubarb plant till I taught her how to make rhubarb-applesauce in the crockpot, seasoned with cinnamon and sweetened with honey from her own bees. She and her husband went gaga over it.

This went right into my recipe folder - thanks! Occasionally the grocery store will carry frozen rhubarb; otherwise, I will wait impatiently until my friend's plant is producing again in the spring. I also asked her for a cutting so I can grow my own this year. She owes me since she never used any of her huge rhubarb plant till I taught her how to make rhubarb-applesauce in the crockpot, seasoned with cinnamon and sweetened with honey from her own bees. She and her husband went gaga over it.
You're welcome! I think I need to make rhubarb applesauce next year. I use it in savory dishes, too. I made a chicken dish made with rhubarb and didn't tell my husband that it was the secret ingredient. He loved it! It disintegrates into the sauce and mellows as it cooks down. Skillet Chicken With Rhubarb Recipe

Last edited:
I have wanted to try some sort of rhubarb dish for a while just because I have no idea what it tastes like. I've never had it and I cannot find a single place in these parts that carries a rhubarb pie. Because I am not particularly good at pie making I don't want to try making it on my own because I'm certain I'd ruin rhubarb for myself and it could be very, very tasty. Oh well, just another thing on my bucket list.
Ya gotta eat it with sweet hot, runny custard to make it good. It's a very tart taste. Actually - hubby has a yummy pie recipe with strawberries and rhubarb.
Soapy thing: here's my Watermint and Clementine soap cut today. Disappointed in my drop swirl as the batter got thicker and thicker : (

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 19
Stress-testing my M&P-ification protocol for CP soap (left: original CP soap, right: fused with propylene glycol, xylitol, glycerol, and isomalt).

I start to like the clarity, yet I have to pay the price for the low palmitic/stearic content in a weird jelly candy-like texture. Palm and cocoa are not the answer, I'll have to ramp up hydrogenated canola even further next time.

And yes, those are lovely mini-chocolate bar moulds (4 g each)! 🥰

Attachments

• S6402058_m0d.jpg
    S6402058_m0d.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 22
See what happens. My commitment to keeping up with this thread has resulted in having to skip about 10 pages. Resolution fail! I mixed a lye solution this morning so it would be cool and ready for a galaxy soap attempt for the challenge this month. I just got home from visiting my grandbaby and it's not a good time for me to make soap now. Oh well. I had soapy intentions. That must count for something!

It may not look perfect but at least I know it’ll be good soap. 🤪 Salvaged the embeds that didn’t come out great and smooshed into balls instead. Because a good amount of embeds that failed never made it into the soap (could only fit so many balls into this batch), these are considerably shorter bars than usual.

Attachments

• 83792E27-41CC-45DA-AC19-E1972B73581D.jpeg
    83792E27-41CC-45DA-AC19-E1972B73581D.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 904CB449-D052-41C7-9C32-0928FD7BEF7F.jpeg
    904CB449-D052-41C7-9C32-0928FD7BEF7F.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 11
Ya gotta eat it with sweet hot, runny custard to make it good. It's a very tart taste. Actually - hubby has a yummy pie recipe with strawberries and rhubarb.
Soapy thing: here's my Watermint and Clementine soap cut today. Disappointed in my drop swirl as the batter got thicker and thicker : (
Great color combo there and the drop swirls better than any I've attempted! Okay, I'll be vulnerable and admit my ignorance here. I think of rhubarb as a United States Midwestern thing. It is in New Zealand too?! Yes,, tart rhubarb calls out for ice cream. My niece will pull it out of the ground and eat it. She's now grown but has done this since toddlerhood.

Figured out that keeping a pot of water at a low boil in my soap shack raises the humidity high enough to be able to make bathbombs!😍 This makes me happy because I recently purchased a few (okay, 7😬) used but like new molds for my press!😊 and have been itching to put them to the test! I made donuts and whoopie pies as well as C.B.D. infused rounds, some hearts and some mini-rounds. 😍

Great color combo there and the drop swirls better than any I've attempted! Okay, I'll be vulnerable and admit my ignorance here. I think of rhubarb as a United States Midwestern thing. It is in New Zealand too?! Yes,, tart rhubarb calls out for ice cream. My niece will pull it out of the ground and eat it. She's now grown but has done this since toddlerhood.
I grew up in Upstate NY and it grew wild in our backyard. I’d hack a piece off and eat it raw. Sometimes with salt or sugar, but most often as-is.

Last edited:
Back