What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chuckle for the day: My sister-in-law bought several of my soaps to give as Christmas gifts. One recipient said, "you spent too much, you shouldn't have." My SIL said, "don't worry, my brother-in-law loves to make soap and practically gives it away." Then the recipient said "IT'S HOMEMADE??!! THAT'S EVEN WORSE! I DON'T DESERVE THIS!" 😂

My chuckle for the day: My sister-in-law bought several of my soaps to give as Christmas gifts. One recipient said, "you spent too much, you shouldn't have." My SIL said, "don't worry, my brother-in-law loves to make soap and practically gives it away." Then the recipient said "IT'S HOMEMADE??!! THAT'S EVEN WORSE! I DON'T DESERVE THIS!" 😂
Just goes to show just how much we underestimate what we do, doesn't it? We always add one ingredient that the big players don't..... love!

TONIGHT, I made my first attempt at piping a soap top. It was an epic failure!
I had a hard time with piping myself. Im still not great at it because im spacially challenged but someone on a video i watched said "do the outer rows first, because the middle will be forgiving and can be camoflaged" and that helped me a lot

@TashaBird Your soap space looks fab! 🤩 To fix the batch where you added double castor, I’d measure out another batch of all those oils, minus the castor. Mix that well with the batch that has double castor, then split it in two. Now you have two correct batches. 😊

My soapy thing today actually started yesterday when I made the syndet shampoo bar recipe and the solid conditioner bar recipe, both from DIY Bath and Body. The water bath process wasn't bad at all, but next time I'll use the microwave to save time and utensils. I was very glad for wearing a respirator, since that SCI powder does go everywhere.

Today I got to try them out, and.... I LOVE them! Washing and conditioning my thick, curly, dry hair has never been easier. The post-wash feel is very nice, too - soft and about as well-behaved as my hair ever is.

Not knowing how I would like these products, my initial ingredient orders were pretty small. After seeing how easy they are to make, and how well they work, I immediately ordered more SCI powder, BTMS50, and liquid silk protein. Doubt I'll ever go back to liquid shampoo or conditioner.

Last edited:
Just made two pull throughs. One was mostly so that i could have a variety of purples for a Prince soap that I’m planning. The other was to test green and orange for a flag of Ireland soap that I want to do. The making went smooth, and even clean up wasn’t too bad. Hoping the green and orange don’t turn to mush.
Then I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole of Gaelic terms of endearment. And, that was lovely! Now I want to go to Ireland.

@TashaBird Your soap space looks fab! 🤩 For the batch where you added double castor, I’d double all the rest of the oils, mix well, then split it in two. Now you have two correct batches. 😊

My soapy thing today actually started yesterday when I made the syndet shampoo bar recipe and the solid conditioner bar recipe, both from DIY Bath and Body. The water bath process wasn't bad at all, but next time I'll use the microwave to save time and utensils. I was very glad for wearing a respirator, since that SCI powder does go everywhere.

Today I got to try them out, and.... I LOVE them! Washing and conditioning my thick, curly, dry hair has never been easier. The post-wash feel is very nice, too - soft and about as well-behaved as my hair ever is.

Not knowing how I would like these products, my initial ingredient orders were pretty small. After seeing how easy they are to make, and how well they work, I immediately ordered more SCI powder, BTMS50, and liquid silk protein. Doubt I'll ever go back to liquid shampoo or conditioner.
So measure out the other oils again, without the castor oil? That’s very smart!! Thanks! It’s my pull through recipe so it’s single batch usually, but I guess if I mixed it good and then separated it, that’d work!

I did a lot of soaping this weekend. As usual, I have about a 50% success rate.
But I'm happy with this slanted layers soap. This is my 4th try and I think I'm getting better.
20201227_201141.jpg

Attachments

• 20201124_184523.jpg
    20201124_184523.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201209_101908.jpg
    20201209_101908.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
What are the dimensions of that mold?!!
My husband makes my molds. I will measure it tomorrow and let you know 🙂

Ohhh - liking that soap and stamp. Did you order the stamp, or make it yourself?
A customer had her teenage son make it for me. I LOVE it!🥰

Today I got to try them out, and.... I LOVE them! Washing and conditioning my thick, curly, dry hair has never been easier.
I really want to try to make both of these. I’m thinking I’m skilled enough now to try it! But it would just be for me and my kids, if I can get them to use ‘em! But I guess my question is... are they really too expensive to make for personal use? I know I could just buy them... but I’ve kinda set a goal to make to make all my personal care/make-up products and I’ve got hair conditioner and deodorant left to go! Plus I just love using the stuff I made! Lol!

@violets2217 Honestly, it took a lot less skill to make a shampoo bar than it does to make CP or HP soap. I haven't added up the total cost per bar. For true cost comparison, I'll need to see how long each bar lasts. Although I'd never even tried a solid shampoo bar and conditioner before, I sure didn't want to give some retailer $20+ of my money that could go towards ingredients to make my own. Besides, what if I liked theirs, but couldn't recreate it? It seemed so much more sensible to spend the money on ingredients to make one myself, and go from there.

I'd be willing to bet that if you let the kids pick their own fragrance, they will happily use these instead of liquid shampoo. It is so easy to use - rub the bar on top of the head and put it back on the soap dish. No fiddling with the cap, no squirting out too much and watching half of it go down the drain... sooo much easier, and so much less waste!

Also, most of the ingredients for the shampoo bar and conditioner bar can be used in other products, including lotions, lotion bars, foaming bath butter, creams, etc. I splurged on some additional ingredients to make a dark eye circle cream. Not only can I use some of my existing ingredients that were purchased for the shampoo bars, but the total cost to make batches and batches of the eye cream was less than the cost of one small pricey pot of said cream at the make-up counter.

Last edited:
@TashaBird Your soap space looks fab! 🤩 To fix the batch where you added double castor, I’d measure out another batch of all those oils, minus the castor. Mix that well with the batch that has double castor, then split it in two. Now you have two correct batches. 😊

My avatar is me, with my hair after using the shampoo bar and conditioner. My hair is dry, wavy, and fine (but I have a LOT of it). I've been using the shampoo bars for about 3 years now and love them! I'm my biggest fan, to be honest.

So my soapy endeavor today was donating some “ugly” soap to a local homeless shelter today. Two batches that seized and didn’t behave well! Also... thanks to @AliOop glowing review I just purchased some recipes from DIY Bath and Body Shop... and of course since they were on sale I bought 3, instead of the 2 I needed! But in all honesty I could have bought 5! I really like that Etsy shop!

I cut my Living Coral Reef soap from yesterday. Its pretty, but I am so frustrated with Titanium dioxide lol. I have probably read every single message here on it, and followed some yt tutorials. I just can't get it without the boogers. I have tried several white micas, but I'm not happy with the white, and you tend to need A LOT to make it even somewhat white.

I finally did a bigger batch the other day and put it into a squeeze bottle with a nut in it. I shake it up every time I walk past it. It's been marinating all week, being shook regiularly. I'm obsessed LOL. I used it yesterday for my itp swirl, and the stupid td has bigger boogers than usual. Maybe I will try popping it in the mini food processor tomorrow, see if that helps. I dunno..I'm at a loss.

The best way that I have found was to add my td and oil to a sandwich baggie and use a little plastic scraper to get it smooth, but that is so time consuming, and I would like to have it in a bigger batch.

Anyway, I will take pics of my coral reef soap tomorrow. My phone is charging and I gotta get ready for work (working night shift tonight). it is nothing special...did a solid layer on the bottom and an itp swirl for the rest.

So my soapy endeavor today was donating some “ugly” soap to a local homeless shelter today. Two batches that seized and didn’t behave well! Also... thanks to @AliOop glowing review I just purchased some recipes from DIY Bath and Body Shop... and of course since they were on sale I bought 3, instead of the 2 I needed! But in all honesty I could have bought 5! I really like that Etsy shop!
Curious minds and all... which recipes? (I have all of them!)

I had a hard time with piping myself. Im still not great at it because im spacially challenged but someone on a video i watched said "do the outer rows first, because the middle will be forgiving and can be camoflaged" and that helped me a lot
valentines soap.jpg

The big white area at the top of the soap was suppose to be my piping. It started out OK, but as I went along, the batter got thinner, too thin to hold. So, I leveled it, added some color to swirl the top and then added my embed hearts. It is still OK, just not piped!

View attachment 52787

The big white area at the top of the soap was suppose to be my piping. It started out OK, but as I went along, the batter got thinner, too thin to hold. So, I leveled it, added some color to swirl the top and then added my embed hearts. It is still OK, just not piped!
These are really pretty bars and i like the heart embeds!

@Catscankim I used the baggie method to smooth out some really lumpy TD a couple of weeks ago while I was in zoom meeting! With the bag sitting in a shallow tray there was no worrying about spillage. The TD was like cream after an hour and my meeting seemed shorter. :cool:

As far as soapy things go, I found my heart embed column mold and will make the embed tomorrow. Since I’m off from work this week, I’m making the most of my time by running FO and EO tests. I set up a spreadsheet for the key information from the suppliers and my observations. It took me a bit to work out methods and get a rhythm, but with five test runs under my belt, I’m now up to 24 FOs and 6 EOs. It’s been fascinating and instructive to watch the batter closely after the scent is added.

Fantastic! I donated a ton of uglies to a youth shelter on Christmas Eve. It felt so good and they were so grateful.

Latest posts

Back