What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to do a dark soap. Here is the top. Its scented with little black dress and I also used the large hex eco glitter my daughter got me for Christmas.

View attachment 52746
What did you make the large pearls with? They’re so shiny!

My “soap shop” has been closed for remodeling. Got a couple new overhead lights, some new shelves, and some wood paneling. I got the hubs some power tools he wanted for Christmas, he gets to use them to build stuff. It’s the circle of giving! Wrapped and labeled my goat milk and honey soap that finished curing, packaged some soap orders. First batch of salt soap sold out in an hour! (There were only 10 bars. Haha) And, I finally put away my two new pull throughs. I just wanted to keep staring at them! And, continuing to obsess over which extruder I should get.

Attachments

• 4AD8C929-55CB-4271-8EA9-BADD8D29252B.png
    4AD8C929-55CB-4271-8EA9-BADD8D29252B.png
    863.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 9AB7B52F-8E09-4B5E-9483-1011F04D3A58.png
    9AB7B52F-8E09-4B5E-9483-1011F04D3A58.png
    676 KB · Views: 19
  • B2653CE4-6339-4BC7-A8CF-7305817CB8F1.jpeg
    B2653CE4-6339-4BC7-A8CF-7305817CB8F1.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 26
What did you make the large pearls with? They’re so shiny!
White soap dough rolled in pearl-colored mica. the small pearls are rolled in it too but they are harder to see in that pic. I did the piping with black and then a few stripes of white so it made some of it look like ribbons going through.

I LOVE your pull through soap. It's beautiful!

My friend works at a real estate agency and they want soaps for new home owners welcome packages. YAY ME!! I wrapped and labeled and dropped off 24 bars for them tonight. They wanted 20 bars, I made a deal and sold 24.

I stopped by a store tonight that bought a bunch of soap from me to sell. I was just checking in. The owner was like "how many did I buy from you" lol. I'm like 24. He said that's all I have left and pointed...handful of soaps. Maybe 6 left. Bongs, pipes, and my soap on the same shelf LOL They are all xmasy smells left. So I told him that if they don't sell by next week I can switch them out for him. I need to keep this guy. All the beachy smells sold, But not the Christmas smells. He wants more to sell, cause now he is making $3 per bar of soap with his mark up.

An antique store bought a bunch for selling, plus I sold A LOT for christmas.

Not a bad problem to have...but I am down to 19 bars of "ready" soap. Who knew I would have this problem LOL.

My soapy thing today is mass production LOL. Now I am almost out of lye, and my order doesn't come in till tuesday. I thought the Christmas buying frenzy was over and I got worried that it was all short-lived sales. But I still have customers, and repeat customers that want more. One girl bought a bunch from me for xmas gifts and now her giftees are calling me for more. And the real estate agency was a big winner for me today.

Oh, and I have all those soaps that I didn't know what to do with...all good soap, just either too small or ugly. I talked to a girl tonight that works for an assisted living facility. She's gonna take my box...I dunno, maybe 50 bars. She's gonna sell them for a dollar or two at her facility, and I told her I would give her half of the money of what she sells. I was going to donate them, but if they still go to a good cause, why not. I was going to give them away anyway.

Seriously, this all happened this week LOL. My new soapy thing is researching and learning master batching.

Last edited:
White soap dough rolled in pearl-colored mica. the small pearls are rolled in it too but they are harder to see in that pic. I did the piping with black and then a few stripes of white so it made some of it look like ribbons going through.

I LOVE your pull through soap. It's beautiful!
I love those pearls! I am sculpting some little doves and I might try putting some mica on the outside. This pull through was a plate I custom ordered, and it didn’t turn out right the first time. I can’t believe I actually got little spirals!

I dreamed about soap last night and resetting up my soap area after the hubs built new shelves. The new light over the sink shows how dirty it is and I wish I hadn’t put it there now so I wouldn’t know. 😆

If I could only find my new little heart column mold, I would be trying to squeeze in a soap for Valentine’s Day. I’m afraid it has gone to the bottom of a stack of fabric or into an unrelated box of dyeing supplies in my soaping, sewing, tie dyeing workspace. :oops:

@msunnerstood - that’s really impressive!

It does! It smells like rice! I managed a few colours and (I think) a bit of an Ione swirl (no @Zing - not LONE swirl - how many time s do I have to tell you!!??)
Here's what it looks like on the top, which I just realised should be the bottom because I put a silicone mat in the bottom of the mold so it's gonna be an upside-down soap. Sigh! Now i realise I've done the Ione swirl upside down too! Oh well - lucky it smells good.
View attachment 52743
Glad to see your spell-checker is working again. I wasn't sure you were reading my cracks or not.
Seriously, great color combo -- very Arizona-y/New Mexico-y. And you've developed a new design as well. Looking forward to the cut.

Are the colors split all the way down? Did you use a divider?
I love the design
Yes, one side is white, one side black. Yes, I used a divider. Then I hanger swirled side to side. Here's how I set up the mold, and a pic from a previous batch. :)

I always sell out of this one.

Attachments

• 20201227_104921.jpg
    20201227_104921.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200122_180841.jpg
    20200122_180841.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 32
Cut my rice soap today. There's more river than land in this one, lol!
I actually wish I hadn't swirled so much. I tell myself to swirl more because I often don't do it enough to get a good design - but due to the fine ribbons of pouring I really should have been more minimalist for this one. Oh well - still looking forward to trying this one and finding out what all the fuss is about with rice!
1E643E54-3626-411D-A973-EEF7ABE57506.jpeg29045CB8-8476-4EFA-A305-24B3BE94D073_1_201_a.jpeg

Waiting for a layer to firm up on a batch using my new Living Coral Reef FO from Crafter's Choice/WSP. It is behaving nicely thus far. I know everybody says to do test batches, but my test batch is a full loaf with a tried and true soap recipe that I know how it behaves.

For the color I am using a mix of plain yellow and magenta that i bought a while ago from BB. It makes a nice coral color, half and half yellow and magenta. Will update with pics tomorrow.

Finally putting my “soap shop” back together after some upgrades. New light, shelves, paneling. Prepping for some soaps this week. Accidentally added double castor oil to on batch of liquid oils. So now I have to figure out how to change a recipe to have that work. I’m just glad I caught it!!!

Attachments

• 3442F5EA-4E43-43D1-847A-102B756F2285.jpeg
    3442F5EA-4E43-43D1-847A-102B756F2285.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 4AD7CB48-0B2A-4D07-8911-F1C75DC7715B.jpeg
    4AD7CB48-0B2A-4D07-8911-F1C75DC7715B.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back