- Jan 11, 2020
- Reaction score
- At The Beach in New Jersey
These turned out really beautiful!I made my first successful LARGE batch of soap! 15 lbs of loveliness! My first didn’t go as planned! Accelerated to fast and was just a blob of soap by the end. This time I split it into 3 batches and worked on each layer separately! I also soaped at room temperature for the first time and I loved it! I’m pretty proud of this soap! The pot swirl layer was so fun! Pink clay is my favorite additive now! So hopefully these will be All cured and ready for Christmas gifts!!!View attachment 50936
I’m loving your Christmas collection. I would love to see a ”group” photo when you have them all done. So creative!the only soapy thing I did was cut my silver and gold soap. I lost several of my little embeds so Im going to need to figure out how to reattach some
View attachment 50940
I finally found a mold to make chunky candy bar-shaped wax tarts and just unmolded the flannel ones which are half blue merging into the other half red.
View attachment 50941
I bought two molds prior to this one and every time I tried to unmold, they would crack no matter how careful I was.
Layers are tough and 7 is very brave! 4 is the most I’ve attempted and it was a lot of work. I split everything and made 4 separate batches about 5-10 min apart. I know some people make the whole batch and then use an accelerating FO adding to each layer before pour, but I Haven’t tried that myself. Ive wanted to try a rainbow layered soap but haven’t got up the nerve yet! I just got the Trial By Fire Mica the other day. What a bummer it went purple. Do you think the purple was caused by the FO possibly?Ugh. Usually I am more of a fly by the seat of my pants type of soaper - not planning the soap out on paper ahead of time. But I decided I really should step up my game and be more professional.
The soap fairies warned me today was not a good soaping day. I was stubborn and ignored them....after all, I was going to professional and use math and formulas and calculators to do it the "right" way.
The number of things that went wrong is just comical; and started with dropping and breaking a sturdy plastic soaping pot. 5 hours later I had ONE batch of red and white peppermint stick soap baking in the oven....because the Trial by Fire mica colored soap was....purple. Yes. P.u.r.p.l.e. My goal: a 7 layer (perfect straight layer technique) of red and white peppermint soap - was obliterated because I decided to be a professional soaper and actually calculate the portions with math - rather than my lazy (but effective) way of eyeballing by volume. (mold holds 7 cups of soap batter)
Determined not give up, I decided on a tiger stripe (I have other Christmas soaps to get done soon) The white batter accelerated, the red batter was perfect....so the tiger stripe was a mess. Doing a simple spoon texture on top was enough to mix the mix and red to make...pink. Hoping the red and white glitter helps disguise the the ugly top. But then it turned more purple than red. This may be a confetti soap in the future.
Lesson learned; be true to your soaping style. And always respect the soaping fairies.