What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut my cranberry confetti. got massive glycerin rivers. I normally dont mind, but i really didnt want them in this one

717BC60D-4CEA-479A-B1F7-AEA2090F062C.jpeg

Are you kidding? These are amazing!!
Well you also dont see the four in the back that the white broke through the red lol. I needed more trace on the red than i had before i added the TD to the white. The white started accelerating before the red, so i had to babysit both batters to make sure red got thick enough and white didnt get too thick.

I just finished a charcoal bar with the rest of my cranberry fo. I thought about mixing some red into the black batter, but decided against it. At the last minute i went with a mica swirl on top. I think i did too much red, but it might be ok after the cut. And I missed a spot on the top left. And i think i got bubbles. I hate bubbles. I will gently stir for an hour trying to get rid of them lol. But this happenened by adding dry ac, pulling out the blender, then putting it back in. It was a point of no return from there Lol.

it might have been a cool halloween top lol.

edit... the string is to help hold in the bowing

9F7D6360-72FC-4E28-A0F7-B3F0BC7BA487.jpeg

And finally got myself a bucket opener!!!
A bucket opener is a thing???!!! This couldn't be more timely! I ordered a bucket of shea this week, and my daughter and I struggled for half an hour trying to get it open. We finally had to cut a bit of the lid's lip to be able to get a grip. @TashaBird, I think you've saved my hands! Thank you!

Last edited:
Cut my cranberry confetti. got massive glycerin rivers. I normally dont mind, but i really didnt want them in this one

View attachment 51027
Really pretty' The glycerin rivers gives it character.

I just finished a charcoal bar with the rest of my cranberry fo. I thought about mixing some red into the black batter, but decided against it. At the last minute i went with a mica swirl on top. I think i did too much red, but it might be ok after the cut. And I missed a spot on the top left. And i think i got bubbles. I hate bubbles. I will gently stir for an hour trying to get rid of them lol. But this happenened by adding dry ac, pulling out the blender, then putting it back in. It was a point of no return from there Lol.

it might have been a cool halloween top lol.

edit... the string is to help hold in the bowing

View attachment 51033
Really nice' love the color combo too.

I have a bucket opener, too, and you're right, they are awesome! Mine's a slightly different model though. A little under six feet tall, dashing salt-and-pepper hair, green twinkly eyes, and usually tells at least one joke while opening the lid. And in such great condition for a pre-owned model, IYKWIM. šŸ˜„

I'd share where I got this bucket opener, but they don't make 'em like this one anymore. šŸ’

Last edited:
A bucket opener is a thing???!!! This couldn't be more timely! I ordered a bucket of shea this week, and my daughter and I struggled for half an hour trying to get it open. We finally had to cut a bit of the lid's lip to be able to get a grip. @TashaBird, I think you've saved my hands! Thank you!
Itā€™s ridiculous! Some day Iā€™d love a pump, but Iā€™m not close to that scale yet. This guy is a game changer!

My first attempt at a swirl. I think it was a flop šŸ˜ž. Better luck next time.
I understand your disappointment, I'm always sad when soap doesn't look the way I had envisioned as well.
But, it looks swirly to me! And I'm sure the soap itself is lovely! Nobody else can see inside your head, all they'll be able to see is this lovely, swirly soap. I know it's not what you wanted, but it's still a nice soap.

I've been making a ridiculous amount of soap, just haven't posted them. I made four New Year's soaps, as well as an Apocalyptic 2020 soap. I ordered a bunch of soap molds to make Valentine's Day soaps. Making lots of lotion bars this weekend, My husband keeps stealing from my stash! :D I made a huge amount of 50/50 lye and will make only enough soap to use that up and then I'll be taking a break from soap making until the end of November. Going to shift gears and make body butter, lotion bars, wax melts (I'm only doing so because people have been asking me to make candles and wax melts seems like a cheaper and less complicated compromise).

Funny thing. I found the recipe for one of the first batches of soap I made and was aghast. It contained a whopping 30% CO. Yikes. No wonder it made me itchy. I've learned a lot since then.

I cut a batch of wine soap yesterday and the fragrance was so strong that I could feel it in my throat. That's never happened to me before. A good reminder to not get lazy and make sure I test fragrance oils. I just hope it relaxes during the curing process.

I broke my toe a few weeks ago (right foot, toe nearest to the big toe). It's not soapy thing related. I just needed to moan and complain about yet ONE MORE THING I loathe about 2020.

For the heck of it, here's a soap photo. :D

Attachments

• sexy beast.jpeg
    sexy beast.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 16
I got my national shrink wrap system today. Now to pick a spot to set it up.
I love mine and have used it on the regular for over 5 years!ā¤ļø

My first attempt at a swirl. I think it was a flop šŸ˜ž. Better luck next time.
Oh, but I like it!!šŸ˜ Did you scent it?

I cut the Lemon Basil soap that I poured yesterday AND washed the mountain of dishes that of course came along with it!šŸ¤£

Attachments

• 20201030_132234.jpg
    20201030_132234.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201030_132333.jpg
    20201030_132333.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201030_132459.jpg
    20201030_132459.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201030_132525.jpg
    20201030_132525.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201030_134159.jpg
    20201030_134159.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 8
Cut my Wizard of Oz Dorothy soap. Happy with it!!
So well done - just love these!!

I was thinking of using more mica. You think itā€™ll be the same? I also was going to add some of the gold glitter, to the gold mica. Maybe super sparkles to the silver mica?
Yes, sadly I think it won't help. It's really hard to get sparkly soap unless it is just the tops, mica lines, or M&P like @GemstonePony suggested. FWIW, I really like how the bars look as-is!

I was thinking of using more mica. You think itā€™ll be the same? I also was going to add some of the gold glitter, to the gold mica. Maybe super sparkles to the silver mica?

I've used Sterling Silver quite a bit in an attempt to have it look silver but alas it always just looks gray. So I've taken to do the mica in oil to drizzle on the top and as a mica line inside.

Back