I'll half to post a picture of my "Stray Chicken" that wondered in the yard & decided to stay' Miss Hen is free range' & could fly away if she wanted to, she also likes to play hide & seek w/ her egg laying, always looking for her new hiding spot though she has a nice hen house & nesting box. lol .
Sorry forgot to add quote above. I'm getting the hang of it. .@Jersey Girl our White Rocks are very, very social. Whenever one of us in the yard, they are all up in our business: "Whatcha doin? Can I help? Is that a SNACK?? Your hair looks so nice today, kinda like a snack. Could I try it??"
The banty cochins, on the other hand, like to think of themselves as a little more dignified. Sure, they will come near if a snack might be involved, but they will not stoop to following us around or eating out of our hands. You can almost see them rolling their eyes at the others, "What, were you raised in a barn?" (yes, as a matter of fact, they were, haha).
Thanks for the encouragement. I teach an online class on Monday nights, so we will just have to see whether I've got anything left after that for soaping.
Your soap sounds like its going to be amazing.
Lovely design!Yesterday I tried my first attempt at a butterfly swirl. Today was spent trying to get the mold out of the wooden box. Fridge for 3 hours didn’t help. Freezer for 20 minutes didn’t either. Resorted to pallet knife down the sides and brute force. Spoiled the ends a bit but they would be wasted anyway. First time this has happened to me.
The butterfly looks more like a bat but not bad for a first attempt.
What is your liquid amount? That’s the biggest thing that has helped me - discounting the water. The default in SoapCalc is just too much water for CP soap.I made a big batch of holiday soap and a smaller layered loaf yesterday and cut it today.
The idea I had was something like “you’re a mean one” but the glycerin rivers were not kind it would seem.
I am seeing something that I haven’t experienced before with the soap. There is a slight oozing in places on the top. It’s fine everywhere else.
I’ve done a bit of reading and it would seem that it could be humidity being too high or the fragrance oil. I have used this recipe before and only the FO is new, Snowman Balls from NG. The smaller batch doesn’t have that, but does seem a bit “textured”.
Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed.
I dropped it down to 36% from the 38% that defaults in SoapCalc. I had issues with my soap being too soft and found the 36% to work better for me on previous batches.What is your liquid amount? That’s the biggest thing that has helped me - discounting the water. The default in SoapCalc is just too much water for CP soap.
I use a 2:1 liquid:lye ratio, which works out to around 30% liquid of oils on average in my recipes. 36% is still on the high side IMO, I'd consider dropping it a few more degrees.
That’s still quite a lot of water. It’s good to get away from water as a percentage of oils. Water has nothing to do with oils and everything to do with lye. Best to calculate your water as a ratio of water to lye. Or as a lye concentration. A 2:1 water to lye ratio is equal to a 33% lye solution. A side note: The default in SoapCalc was originally intended for HP soap making where a lot of moisture is lost during the cook. That much water/liquid is just not necessary in CP soap. Look further into water discounting. It’s a total game changer.
Oohh...honey and a spicy fo - overheating. Good on your for all of that dedicated working making that soap workable!I used 1 oz of beeswax for 7lbs of soap. Which was under what was called for in a brambleberry recipe I saw online for making beeswax soap. The BB recipe called for 2.8 oz beeswax for a 10oz mold. I only did one stick blend of 2 seconds after I poured the lye as I had already stick blended the wax, oils, and fragrance. The colors I added were nurture colors that have never caused seizing before. The temp of the oils was around 170 because with beeswax you have to soap at higher temps so I knew I'd have to move fast but never have I had a soap on a stick like that. I unmolded it this morning but the blue layer is still soft so I'm going to let it sit for a bit before I cut it. The fragrance held up to me cooking it and when I cleaned up the pots this morning the hardened soap is quite lovely. I do like HP soap but it always darkens the colors when you HP it so it won't work for this customer but I'm sure other people will like it. The fragrance is orange, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, frankincense, and a eucalyptus which sounds like it would be horrible but it's actually pretty nice. I never would have put those scent combinations together on my own.
Great job and they look fantastic.I made my first successful LARGE batch of soap! 15 lbs of loveliness! My first didn’t go as planned! Accelerated to fast and was just a blob of soap by the end. This time I split it into 3 batches and worked on each layer separately! I also soaped at room temperature for the first time and I loved it! I’m pretty proud of this soap! The pot swirl layer was so fun! Pink clay is my favorite additive now! So hopefully these will be All cured and ready for Christmas gifts!!!
These are divine!!the only soapy thing I did was cut my silver and gold soap. I lost several of my little embeds so Im going to need to figure out how to reattach some
After getting my hand slapped more than once here, i have settled on 33% Lye concentration on my regular bars. Which also should not be confused with the default. You need to physically change it to lye concentration. It has made a world of difference in my soaps