What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What brand of dish washing gloves ar you using? I need new ones.
Playtex from Walmart, their "living premium protection" line.

@The_Phoenix if it makes you feel any better, yesterday I had to my oils out, my scale out, my paper copy printed .. and then went back to moving percentages and ingredients around, and finally landed in a very different recipe. Made new paper copy, got out new ingredients. 🤪
ETA: the recipe I was going to start with was one I had already spent a fair amount of time on

Last edited:
I have not made soap in 1 whole week! The reason is 2-fold - 1. I have quite a bit of soap on my shelves with very little going out and I'm feeling a bit discouraged. The good news is that whatever I make will last a good long time and when things pick up I will have a pretty nice inventory. In my opinion, I already have one. I started in May and if I make soap tomorrow (today is our Thanksgiving), it will be my 50th batch! Woo Hoo! 38 of which are quite varied and nice enough for gifting or selling. The 2nd reason is this past week I've attempted and succeeded at getting the paper 'monster' under control. I've had so much paper including recipes, etc saved in a binder with no organization and I'm happy to have that completely under control including an inventory sheet which shows what I have, when made, when cured, etc. The other task I've been doing is labeling. My daughter created and made my new label which I'm totally psyched about and have gotten some really nice reviews on. Tell me what you think - I appreciate any and all feedback.
I like your label design. It looks really nice and homey.

Made soap with a friend six weeks ago, her first time. She was using the stick blender while I set out the molds. Turned around and the soap was like tar. We poured it into the molds - too thick to pour actually - we spooned it into the molds. She came over for the reveal, and it is beautiful in spite of everything. A couple of bars had air holes, but otherwise fine, and she was well pleased. I am starting a batch with charcoal and pine a little later today.

Not terribly soapy but I made two batches of lip balm this morning for Christmas samplers (4 flavours in total for the sampler gift boxes that will be coming; the other two flavours are already made) and planning my Christmas gift packages. Only one will contain soap and that soap is already made.

I think I'm done making soap for this market season. However, I MIGHT make one or two batches next week, just in case I need it for the last couple of markets in December but we shall see. I need to concentrate on bath & body making now.

My daughter created and made my new label which I'm totally psyched about and have gotten some really nice reviews on. Tell me what you think - I appreciate any and all feedback.
Hiya @SPowers! I would love to comment but suggest you start a new thread so others can opine as well. Also, I am unable to read details on the label so maybe add another pic of your label close up? ;)

She was using the stick blender while I set out the molds. Turned around and the soap was like tar. We poured it into the molds - too thick to pour actually - we spooned it into the molds.
TIP: When soap does that, you can leave it and walk away for 5 minutes. I set the timer. When you come back, it's going into gel and you can easily give it a quick stir and mold up. :thumbs:

I fully anticipated soaping tonight -- but my mold is still holding last night's batch. I usually unmold and cut after 24 hours. I just unmolded last night's soap which popped right out -- BUT was warm to the touch. So I figured it was still gelling and it's back in the mold and under towels. Gah! Must. Be. Patient. More pins and needles hoping the reverse secret feather is in there waiting for me!!!

I normally use micas and natural colorants -- but last night's soap had oxides. I swear the few times I use oxides, the soap behaves differently.

I have not made soap in 1 whole week! The reason is 2-fold - 1. I have quite a bit of soap on my shelves with very little going out and I'm feeling a bit discouraged. The good news is that whatever I make will last a good long time and when things pick up I will have a pretty nice inventory. In my opinion, I already have one. I started in May and if I make soap tomorrow (today is our Thanksgiving), it will be my 50th batch! Woo Hoo! 38 of which are quite varied and nice enough for gifting or selling. The 2nd reason is this past week I've attempted and succeeded at getting the paper 'monster' under control. I've had so much paper including recipes, etc saved in a binder with no organization and I'm happy to have that completely under control including an inventory sheet which shows what I have, when made, when cured, etc. The other task I've been doing is labeling. My daughter created and made my new label which I'm totally psyched about and have gotten some really nice reviews on. Tell me what you think - I appreciate any and all feedback.

Love the new labels! :nodding:

Too funny! If only!!!
I need a few bars of that soap! Lol!! 🤣

I ended up cutting last night's soap. Am trying desperately to not beat myself up but instead take it as a learning experience. I posted the cut and am seeking advice in this thread: Feedback request, reverse secret feather

Positives: I am pleased with the top. I also used a baking mold for my leftovers and think it will encourage some kids in my life to wash their hands. The scent is awesome -- fir needle/rosemary/spearmint/cedarwood.

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 19
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 19
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 18
Not sure where to post this question. I am wanting to make salt bars. It's been a while since I made some. Has anyone used the milky way single cavity molds for salt bars and did they work?

I posted yesterday about unscented soap and a few mentioned that they have forgotten to put fragrance in their soap. And I thought...how does that happen?

Well, I just did it. Made a single batch using two molds (to cut different). And I am getting done pouring and realized I forgot the fragrance grrrrrr.

Not sure where to post this question. I am wanting to make salt bars. It's been a while since I made some. Has anyone used the milky way single cavity molds for salt bars and did they work?
With a specific question like this that gets buried as soon as you post it on this forum, you'll get more responses if you start a new thread.
:nodding:

I posted yesterday about unscented soap and a few mentioned that they have forgotten to put fragrance in their soap. And I thought...how does that happen?

Well, I just did it. Made a single batch using two molds (to cut different). And I am getting done pouring and realized I forgot the fragrance grrrrrr.

I scratch my head every time I do that! To go through the whole process, then turn around and see the fragrance sitting there! I put it down to a 'senior's moment'! :oops:

What’re the ingredients? Smell good?
Sorry, missed this question! Ingredients were lard, CO, OO, castor, micas and fragrances. Some of them smelled good - others had almost no smell despite listing fragrance. I liked the wrapping though. :)

ETA: Matching the picture of the bar with the pic on the website, I looked up the ingredients. See if you can spot the inconsistencies (bolded letters):

A rich and nourishing bar containing a high percentage of shea butter and lavender essential oil. Olive, coconut, palm and sweet almond oils are also added, and ultramarine clay is used to create the beautiful lavender color. If you love loads of creamy bubbles and the scent of lavender, this soap is for you!
  • Coconut oil, palm oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, sodium hydroxide, sorbitol, oat protein, castor oil, glycerine, wine, safflower oil, sweet almond oil, shea butter, lavandin essential oil, titanium dioxide
ETA 2: under the "Benefits" tab, in a blatant violation of labeling laws, it says: moisturizing, calming, essential oils.

Last edited:
Since Sunday's reverse feather turned into a colorful blob fail, tonight was a re-do. I thank my homies, @Misschief and @dibbles (Feedback request, reverse secret feather) for tips and tricks. Sunday's first batch was emulsion which was too thin. Tonight my attempt at "light" trace turned into medium trace which was too thick (hello, Goldilocks). Fingers crossed.... Everything is toasty and tucked in for the night.

The new-for-me thing is that this morning I melted oils and mixed lye water and then went to my job (barricading the lye water from the dog and cat). After work, I soaped this evening at room temperature.

I'm desperately trying to keep the perfectionist in me at bay here. Trying to remind myself that I'll end up with homemade soap that smells good (fir needle, rosemary, spearmint, cedarwood, mmmm) that at the least will be good for personal use, if not for gifts.

Sorry, missed this question! Ingredients were lard, CO, OO, castor, micas and fragrances. Some of them smelled good - others had almost no smell despite listing fragrance. I liked the wrapping though. :)

ETA: Matching the picture of the bar with the pic on the website, I looked up the ingredients. See if you can spot the inconsistencies (bolded letters):

A rich and nourishing bar containing a high percentage of shea butter and lavender essential oil. Olive, coconut, palm and sweet almond oils are also added, and ultramarine clay is used to create the beautiful lavender color. If you love loads of creamy bubbles and the scent of lavender, this soap is for you!
  • Coconut oil, palm oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, sodium hydroxide, sorbitol, oat protein, castor oil, glycerine, wine, safflower oil, sweet almond oil, shea butter, lavandin essential oil, titanium dioxide
ETA 2: under the "Benefits" tab, in a blatant violation of labeling laws, it says: moisturizing, calming, essential oils.
Huh.. it appears they wrote up the description for a lotion bar, and accidentally pasted it in the soap description. Other than accidentally calling it bubbly soap towards the end of that description, I'm not positive they claim it cleans. And look at the benefits! I'd go for a bubbly lotion bar that nourishes me, moisturizes my skin, and even replaces my therapist.

Latest posts

Back