What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks yummy, haha!

Today I'm not going to make any soaps, I'm going to give the Croquembouche (profiteroles tower) a try again. :)

I just made an Ocean Breeze scented, teal, blue, and white soap. Which promptly riced on me and separated. After beating it into submission, it separated again.

I'm hopeful the (thin) layer of water re-absorbs. If not, rebatch into a sort of blue-ish, tealish soap that I'll hide somewhere and only use when nobody's looking.

That thin water layer? Was an inch thick after an hour. Into the pot it went and I did a hot process rebatch.

The soap is now a battleship gray, which actually isn't unattractive, and currently setting up in the mold. It doesn't zap.

I received my scale yesterday that measures in grams - hooray! So, today I sent my husband some specific dimensions so he can make me wood soap molds. I asked him to make me:

2.5# tall skinny mold
2.5# basic mold
2.5# slab mold
1# basic mold

I also asked him to make me (3) different swirl tools: the hanger and (2) different swirl tools that look like they have nails in them. I'm hoping that all of these will be enough to not only help me perfect recipes in smaller amounts, but to also help me get the hang of swirling and other techniques.

I cut my Vanilla Almond Cake Soap

DSC04088.jpg

I think it looks quite pretty biarine. I like the subtle blue swirl.

I worry a little about the blue colour on clothing too.

Last edited:
It looks great but can I ask the blue speckles - is that pigment/oxide?

I'd just be concerned about using it in my laundry in case it left blue marks

Yes ultra marine blue oxide because she loves the blue speckles like her laundry powder she used.

It looks great but can I ask the blue speckles - is that pigment/oxide?

I'd just be concerned about using it in my laundry in case it left blue marks

Not really I have that before but less blue it doesn't but I noticed this one more blue than before ImageUploadedBySoap Making1427415237.382529.jpg this is the one I made 6 months ago without any problem on my white clothes. But I am not sure with this new one I will try tomorrow.

I will try tomorrow and I will let you know if there's a problem I am a bit worried too.

I am happy with my soap I try this morning and hand wash my white clothes and the blue speckles has no affect in white and no blue residue. I will grind them Sunday for my husband aunt, smell very fresh and not very strong.

They used to put blue dye into washing powder to make whites look whiter anyway, so as long as it doesn't leave patches, I imagine it might make your laundry look better!!

That's really cool Sonya, will you let me know how you get on with them? I bought some off ebay and they were watered down with cheap clay or something so I had to use way more than normal to get a decent colour so I am really wary these days. I would love to find a good cheap supplier though.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll defo let you know - I've ordered some from China off etsy that have been good value for money

Can't remember the name of the seller but if you search mica 50g they come up - about £2.40 with £4.00 postage but you can combine the postage

Also just to add only the ones that say nail art in the description from my ebay link are suitable ie cosmetic grade

Just got back from Lowes with some wood, hinges and side locks for my new flat mold. Pretty excited! My husband is going to make this tomorrow morning for me. Then I will finally get to try the column swirl I've been wanting to try. Can't wait!

Back