What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a test batch of soap with soap curls. I think I will have to plane the top.

Attachments

• 4787DDAD-2772-4D35-BAD3-398B491DFED4.jpeg
    4787DDAD-2772-4D35-BAD3-398B491DFED4.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 7
I soaped two loaves so it has been a good day! Half was rosehips which is always trippy to watch after unmolding, the other half uncolored (rare for me). Used rosemary, bergamot, and cedarwood essential oils. Everyone is warm and cozy under their towels.

In my quest to master emulsion, I've been stickblending less and stirring more lately. And am proud of myself that today I did not do that 'one more burst' of the blender!

Haven’t made soap in a bit, it’s been miserable and smoky here. Waiting for an order of mica that I’m super excited about! And finally got a little motivation and prepped some batches. So enthusiasm is picking back up.
and I finally stopped wiping every drop of oil as it spills and waited until the end. And now my hands/arms are super soft!
Edit: Oh! And I had to get on the cute poops train! Got big plans for unicorn/fairy poops in neons and glitters. My grand babies are gonna LOVE em!!!

Attachments

• 030E657E-0445-4DAE-A475-77248F77E92C.jpeg
    030E657E-0445-4DAE-A475-77248F77E92C.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 442EE289-8990-491E-9EDA-93FD0B929AFB.jpeg
    442EE289-8990-491E-9EDA-93FD0B929AFB.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 5DCC5D82-7FC8-44D4-B797-EF1CBD6D63E7.jpeg
    5DCC5D82-7FC8-44D4-B797-EF1CBD6D63E7.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 4
Haven’t made soap in a bit, it’s been miserable and smoky here. Waiting for an order of mica that I’m super excited about! And finally got a little motivation and prepped some batches. So enthusiasm is picking back up.
and I finally stopped wiping every drop of oil as it spills and waited until the end. And now my hands/arms are super soft!
Edit: Oh! And I had to get on the cute poops train! Got big plans for unicorn/fairy poops in neons and glitters. My grand babies are gonna LOVE em!!!
See there’s a silver lining everywhere!

I beveled some soaps. Its definitely an acquired skill lol. I beveled some bars yesterday, and then some today. I realized it is much easier to do on a slightly drier bar.

I dont usually bevel my bars, so i haven't acquired that skill set yet lol
Yes, they have to be mostly or completely cured for me to bevel - otherwise when they are soft, they get dented & smushed.

Also yesterday, I made the 50% SF experiment (thread in lye soap forum), and I made a batch of 100% CO 0%SF for future soapy dish assistance. I scented the future dish soap with WSP Jasmine Vanilla, a powdery floral which I purchased before I realized that I don't like florals on their own. I'm using this opportunity to see if it morphs, otherwise it's a scent that nobody testing my soaps will be tempted to use.
I beveled some soaps. Its definitely an acquired skill lol. I beveled some bars yesterday, and then some today. I realized it is much easier to do on a slightly drier bar.

I dont usually bevel my bars, so i haven't acquired that skill set yet lol
I usually cut when my soap is firm, and bevel when it's no longer tacky. I'll frequently unmold at 18 hours and bevel at 24 hours, but I also use hard butters in my soaps.

Also yesterday, I made the 50% SF experiment (thread in lye soap forum), and I made a batch of 100% CO 0%SF for future soapy dish assistance. I scented the future dish soap with WSP Jasmine Vanilla, a powdery floral which I purchased before I realized that I don't like florals on their own. I'm using this opportunity to see if it morphs, otherwise it's a scent that nobody testing my soaps will be tempted to use.

I usually cut when my soap is firm, and bevel when it's no longer tacky. I'll frequently unmold at 18 hours and bevel at 24 hours, but I also use hard butters in my soaps.
So you’ll use your %100 for soap making dishes? And, use gloves, I assume? Have you tried this before? I’ve been using Dawn, but I love the idea of making something that will work on all the greasiness!!!

So you’ll use your %100 for soap making dishes? And, use gloves, I assume? Have you tried this before? I’ve been using Dawn, but I love the idea of making something that will work on all the greasiness!!!
Well, I'm washing dishes with NaOh and soap batter, so I have to use gloves anyways. Even with Dawn, I've generally had to wash the dishes twice to get the oil residue off. I haven't tried this before, but I know others use it for laundry detergent and I think someone around here uses it for dishes. This washing-all-the-dishes-twice thing is getting old, particularly since I'm not drawn to simple anything, and soaping would be so much easier for me if cleanup didn't take forever.

Well, I'm washing dishes with NaOh and soap batter, so I have to use gloves anyways. Even with Dawn, I've generally had to wash the dishes twice to get the oil residue off. I haven't tried this before, but I know others use it for laundry detergent and I think someone around here uses it for dishes. This washing-all-the-dishes-twice thing is getting old, particularly since I'm not drawn to simple anything, and soaping would be so much easier for me if cleanup didn't take forever.
Yes, I do use gloves or my hands get wrecked. So, I love the idea of making my own dish soap! Washing up is the worst! I’ve very much stream lined my process though, and it’s much better. It also super helps that I have dedicated soap dishes, so they don’t have to be perfectly clean/oil free as when they were also used for food.

Yes, I do use gloves or my hands get wrecked. So, I love the idea of making my own dish soap! Washing up is the worst! I’ve very much stream lined my process though, and it’s much better. It also super helps that I have dedicated soap dishes, so they don’t have to be perfectly clean/oil free as when they were also used for food.
I also have dedicated soap dishes, but they get stored in a closed Tupperware bin, and I usually go a month between soap binges. I'm concerned that if there's oil residue and some dishes aren't as dry as I thought that I could get unnoticeably moldy dishes, which might affect the shelf life of my soap.

Cut my rosehips soap, Rosehips and yesterday's soaping dishes are in the dishwasher. Love our new kitchen and our first dishwasher in my life (I'm an old man!) and thankful that the human dishwasher gets a break. I know I'm pushing the limits to get soap made in time for Christmas gifts and am anxiously awaiting a large delivery of holiday scents and colorants.

I made dish soaps yesterday. I included sodium citrate for the first time as well since I have hard water. 100% coconut oil, 0% SF. Rather than wash my soaping dishes yesterday, I let the scraped bowl sit and today I used the soap residue as a test of the cleaning capabilities. No greasy bowls! I don't actually hand wash many dishes because I love my dishwasher, but very oily and greasy dishes are a struggle for me to clean with my regular brand of dishsoap. So that is what these dish cakes are for - the really greasy stuff. I scented them in Lemon Verbena from Nature's Fragrance, and I think it is a good kitchen scent. When I smelled it OOB I knew I'd never put it in a body product, but it is perfect for cleaning items.

Edited to add: I will use gloves when using the dish cakes - but I wear gloves to wash dishes anyway. I'm just looking for an effective degreasing soap that I can make myself. I may try to do a liquid form of it in the future, but I don't think it will be hard to use the dish cakes so .. who knows. It's an experiment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back