What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had seen a few things on it but it was @gardengeek post referenced by @violets2217 that made me want to actually try. I ordered an inexpensive pack of felting wool on Amazon that had sample quantities of like 30 colors. Tried it last night and it's pretty cool! Not hard at all, just takes a little bit of time. My bars are pretty small because I've been working with relatively small batches and smaller homemade molds until recently. So my biggest worry was that I was going to use up all the soap before I actually got it felted, lol! But in reality I didn't loose that much soap at all. I love playing in the lather and bubbles, tho lol!
Pictures! I’m thinking of trying this too.

Pictures! I’m thinking of trying this too.
Not too bad for first attempts. I want to try again when I have some larger bars to use. These are really small
20200910_125358.jpg20200910_125339.jpg

Better to smell raspberries than....WAIT, WHAT? WHY HAS THIS THREAD BEEN TAKEN OVER BY POOP TALK??!! What is happening??!!
I mean, it's 2020 friend. So, any thing goes I think.
😂 🤣
I melted about 9oz of MP soap and tested 3 FO's. I'm not sure if that is an accurate way of seeing how and FO holds in soap but, I did learn a few things about MP soap.

I've been using MP to test new FOs and blends. It helps to see how the blend responds to some heat. Doesn't help with acceleration or ricing tho.

I'm hung up on the poop

So much so that my soap today was the consistency of poop. Ugh. Don't even know what went wrong with it. It was fine until the colors - which btw never happened before - and..... We'll, does soap on a stick happen to HP too??? If not, then I invented it tonight lol
IMG_20200911_012144.jpg

I'm so irritated haha.. I forsee huge pockets of nothing and weird color mashups on the inside. Let's see tomorrow. Hopefully it looks OK enough to pass as abstract when it's cut lol

This is the soap that riced like crazy on me something fierce yesterday. It’s oozy. 😭🙁 Bummer because the colors are exactly what I was going for. Was supposed to be a lovely drop swirl but that obviously wasn’t going to happen once it started to seize up. This is a first for me. I’m not sure what to do with it. ??? The worst part is that it smells amazing! Strongly floral, which is what got me in this mess.

Attachments

• 1986770A-A0A1-41E5-B44A-011ED202BFE5.jpeg
    1986770A-A0A1-41E5-B44A-011ED202BFE5.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 3389DE7B-C3E4-43A1-B47D-D422B0D46AA1.jpeg
    3389DE7B-C3E4-43A1-B47D-D422B0D46AA1.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 3B2AF08E-3697-47D6-84E6-0DA5DD79A4A7.jpeg
    3B2AF08E-3697-47D6-84E6-0DA5DD79A4A7.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
First time piping frosting in 20 yrs... since my cake decorating class at Michael's. HA HA HA! It was a bit rough getting it all back again but the frosting behaved perfectly. Had a lot of fun and am already getting ideas for more designs and flowers. I have the big piping kit and I don't really bake anymore... it's like kismet, right? Colored with cocoa and FO is a 1:1 mix of Crafter's Choice Cocoa and Marshmallow. I'm calling it Hot Cocoa & Marshmallow Cupcakes. Because I can't think of anything else.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 7
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 6
I made lye water for soapmaking tomorrow.

Ordered hair nets to further improve my sanitation/GMP for B&B products. I've just been wearing a tight kerchief over my head because I've been too lazy to just order the hair nets. I gave myself a good talking to today and remedied that laziness. I will be making another batch of lotion for personal use.

This is the soap that riced like crazy on me something fierce yesterday. It’s oozy. 😭🙁 Bummer because the colors are exactly what I was going for. Was supposed to be a lovely drop swirl but that obviously wasn’t going to happen once it started to seize up. This is a first for me. I’m not sure what to do with it. ??? The worst part is that it smells amazing! Strongly floral, which is what got me in this mess.
I love your color combination. And eve tho' you didn't get your drop swirl, your design is still cool! What to do with it? Um, wash your hands? #COVIDPrevention. What scents did you use?
I gave myself a good talking to today and remedied that laziness.
Lazy is definitely not how I would describe you! Just take a quick glance at your posts to see otherwise!

Im making body wash for an order that has to ship tomorrow. Then I need to start planning my marble soap

I'm hung up on the poop

So much so that my soap today was the consistency of poop. Ugh. Don't even know what went wrong with it. It was fine until the colors - which btw never happened before - and..... We'll, does soap on a stick happen to HP too??? If not, then I invented it tonight lol
View attachment 49430
I'm so irritated haha.. I forsee huge pockets of nothing and weird color mashups on the inside. Let's see tomorrow. Hopefully it looks OK enough to pass as abstract when it's cut lol
It exists, happened to me last week. Mine happened when I added the FO. First time for me in HP

I'm hung up on the poop

Yes, my first soap on a stick was HP. It was a while back & I don't really remember the exact details, but it was FO related.

I love your color combination. And eve tho' you didn't get your drop swirl, your design is still cool! What to do with it? Um, wash your hands? #COVIDPrevention. What scents did you use?
Lazy is definitely not how I would describe you! Just take a quick glance at your posts to see otherwise!
Thank you! I cut it and am letting it cure. It's oozing FO, so the plan is to just let it sit and see if it absorbs back into the soap. Either way, it was both humbling and an opportunity to learn.

I used Elements Bath and Body's Yellow Brick Road for the yellow (it's my fffaaavvvooorrriiitttee yellow); for the red, Workshop Heritage's Manganese Violet, Mad Mica's Spicy Tomato, and Elements Bath and Body's Persimmon Frost; for the light blue Nurture Soap's Sky Blue; and the dark blue is Workshop Heritage's Rainbow Blue Mica. Workshop Heritage's micas are wonderful to work with.

The fragrance oil is Foxy Lady by Nurture Soap.

Last edited:
@msunnerstood and @earlene, but that's the thing! I didn't use any FOs, not even EOs. Even the colorants I used weren't for the first time. I just can't figure it out lol

Anyway, I cut it earlier. Not so bad, but not pretty, and definitely not what I wanted lol
IMG_20200911_144744.jpg

And check out the horrible side lol
IMG_20200911_145422.jpg

Colors are indigo, annatto and spirulina infusions. White is how white my lard soap is.

Last edited:
@msunnerstood and @earlene, but that's the thing! I didn't use any FOs, not even EOs. Even the colorants I used weren't for the first time. I just can't figure it out lol

Anyway, I cut it earlier. Not so bad, but not pretty, and definitely not what I wanted lol
View attachment 49446
And check out the horrible side lol
View attachment 49447
Colors are indigo, annatto and spirulina infusions. White is how white my lard soap is.
I think the cut looks pretty cool. That’s the beauty about handmade soap...no one but you knows what it was “supposed “ to look like! 😁

I forgot to mention I also poured some little Leprechaun size soaps in my
Leprechaun molds that were in the mail when I got home from my trip. They are really cute little sample soapies, and I just upped my batch size by 2 oz oils and had a perfect pour in one mold of 4 cavities.
View attachment 43769
ETA: to add pictures
I don’t know how I missed these - they turned out beautifully! Your swirls are fantastic. 😍

As much as I griped about those leprechaun molds when I got them, people love them. I put leftover soap batter from each batch into these, so I end up with a variety of colors and scents. Then package them in threes or fours in a see-through drawstring bag. Very popular as gifts!

D254F30F-ACF0-4D81-BA41-935D3DE65AA4.jpeg

I don’t know how I missed these - they turned out beautifully! Your swirls are fantastic. 😍

As much as I griped about those leprechaun molds when I got them, people love them. I put leftover soap batter from each batch into these, so I end up with a variety of colors and scents. Then package them in threes or fours in a see-through drawstring bag. Very popular as gifts!

View attachment 49453
I've purposely started making 1000 gm batches to fill my 950 gm mold. I pour the leftover batter into a small squares mold; I have a few customers who love the smaller sizes of soaps and they like that they can get the smaller ones in the same scents and colours as the full size bars. They're perfect for smaller hands and, I've been told, those travelling in RVs or camping.

This is what soapy thing I’ve done so far today...soap making hack...
For those who order large blocks of Cocoa Butter. I bought these mini ice cube trays at the dollar store and melt portions of the block in a double boiler, refrigerate for an hour or so til they are hardened and store them in bags or Tupperware in the fridge. Makes it so much easier when adding it to a recipe. I have 6 of them some round and some rectangular shape. They sell them in 2 packs...or maybe 3? I can’t remember. Lol.

Attachments

• C4DA19FF-D884-45B4-9C6A-BC26AAAB8EFF.jpeg
    C4DA19FF-D884-45B4-9C6A-BC26AAAB8EFF.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 22
This is what soapy thing I’ve done so far today...soap making hack...
For those who order large blocks of Cocoa Butter. I bought these mini ice cube trays at the dollar store and melt portions of the block in a double boiler, refrigerate for an hour or so til they are hardened and store them in bags or Tupperware in the fridge. Makes it so much easier when adding it to a recipe. I have 6 of them some round and some rectangular shape. They sell them in 2 packs...or maybe 3? I can’t remember. Lol.
Great idea! Making your own wafers :)

Back