What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 15, 2019 #14,101

atiz

atiz

atiz

I haven't soaped too much these days (not since the summer), but finally got to make some Christmas soap last weekend.

One is colored with a bit of orange brazilian clay and scented with "Comfort and Joy" FO + some orange EO (I got this FO as a sample and find it a bit sweet... but I find most FOs sweet so it's probably fine. Some of my friends will like this I know.)
    The other one is colored with green sea clay, and was supposed to be mint, but then realized I was almost out of peppermint EO, so it's peppermint (about 2%) + cedarwood + cardamom + lemongrass. Smells pretty good; no idea about the percentages otherwise because it was just on a whim.
    I tinkered with my favorite recipe, and I think they turned out quite good, nice leather already.
    It was fun to make soap again!

(I need to take better pictures; the colors are a bit off, the green is much greener in reality...)
    IMG_0007.jpeg

2. Nov 16, 2019 #14,102

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

I hate meeces to pieces!!!

3. Nov 16, 2019 #14,103

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

@KiwiMoose It's about 1.7 litres. :)

Not totally soapy but I stopped by my local health food store for some jojoba oil so I can make some more syndet shampoo bars for this weekend's market. One small (4 oz) bottle was $22.00!! Nope, just nope!

If I order from one of my usual suppliers, it won't arrive in time for this week's market and maybe not even for next week's market. I'll have to buy it locally but those prices hurt!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  4. Nov 16, 2019 #14,104

DKing

DKing

DKing

Found a box suitable for a spin swirl today and made another attempt, but feeling only iffy on my colour combo this go around, so might have to make another attempt before the cut off. Plus things started to thicken a bit towards the end.

5. Nov 16, 2019 #14,105

Millie

Millie

Millie

Aaaagh! No, don't do it! Your customers will forgive you if you are out of stock.

Carla Burke and Misschief like this.
  6. Nov 16, 2019 #14,106

sirtim100

sirtim100

sirtim100

Bought some stearic acid from my local "drogueria". Lovely old guy, lovely old shop in the centre of Coruña. Only place in town to sell shaving products you see on websites (Proraso, Acca Kappa, Ach Brito).

Now to make some shaving soap...

7. Nov 16, 2019 #14,107

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Smack Laugh.gif ... plus I spewed coffee when I first read this!!

I think it will be quite pretty!The general rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of dry ingredient PPO. So, for 60 oils you're right in the lower echelon of that amount of poppy seeds, which is where you want to be because they can be quite scratchy.

Personally, that recipe makes a lovely facial soap -- I use it daily, AM & PM. I'd save the poppy seeds for a dedicated exfoliation bar used 1-2 times per week at most. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
  8. Nov 16, 2019 #14,108

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Lifetime Supporter

I made three small batches of Christmas soaps the last couple days. I used ingredients I had on hand and the batter went from not even emulsified to thick trace in the blink of an eye so I had lots of air pockets in my layered pencil line batches. At least my hangar swirl turned out nicely. I’ll post pics in a sec....I also have been knitting little soap sachets to hold nibblets of soap or a new bar. I can knit one a day (I’m not the world’s fastest/best knitter).

Sorry about all the duplicates. I was trying to just post the links to my album, but obviously messed that up!

9. Nov 16, 2019 #14,109

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

The soapy thing I did this week was drive from central Missouri to Lincoln, Nebraska, to get a trio of goats, brought them home, and settled them into the stalls I built into an old garage (thus turning it into a barn). Yesterday, today, and until it's done, I'll be stringing fence, for them... So, I guess the soapy thing I'm in the process of doing is becoming a goat rancher. They'll give milk for soap (and of course foodie stuffs), fiber to wrap my soap bars in (built in wash cloth, sorta thing), and make a soft, wool felt rug to step out of the shower onto... Does that count?

10. Nov 16, 2019 #14,110

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Kari Howie

Lifetime Supporter

. Oh my! That really counts! Do you spin wool, too?

SoapySuds likes this.
  11. Nov 16, 2019 #14,111

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Ha! Not yet! Ok, I've used a drop spindle, just playing around, with it, to see if I'd like it. Getting a consistent texture with a drop spindle is difficult, but a fun, slubby yarn was definitely doable, and I really want to try out a wheel - then, learn to use a bigger weaving loom, rather than just a lap loom. I really enjoy making felt, but doing it this completely from scratch will be a WHOLE new ride, lol! I've bitten off a pretty big chunk, and I get the feeling I'm going to drive my poor hubs to the brink, lol. But, I'm doing this all by myself! He's financing it - but, I'm doing all the work. I built the stalls, myself - a friend helped me bring home the building materials and straw. And, I have no heavy equipment to help hail the fencing, straw, or anything else around, or put the posts in, or anything. I have a wagon, aand my hand tools. That's it, lol. I'm getting too old, for this!

SoapySuds and Kari Howie like this.
  12. Nov 16, 2019 #14,112
  13. Nov 16, 2019 #14,113

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Obviously, you're not! :D I made my first batch of soap at age 60. Here I am 16 years later and still at it. It's good to have something fun and useful to do during the retirement years.

The downside, of course, is that when you run out of something you can't just run to the store or go online to buy more, you hafta make it. :p

I recently ordered this jojoba oil from Sun Pure Botanicals on Ebay. Shipping from NM to CO takes 3 days... add another half day for getting the packaging opened! Haha Leslee is so OCD about taping up a box, an order could probably travel to the moon and back and arrive intact. I kid you not! I luv doing business with those ladies. Good people are hard to find. :thumbs:

14. Nov 16, 2019 #14,114

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

They are great with very fast shipping. I have never had any issues purchasing from Pure Botanicals either.

SoapySuds and Zany_in_CO like this.
  15. Nov 16, 2019 #14,115

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

Looks great but I'm in Canada.

16. Nov 16, 2019 #14,116

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

See the new posting from Zany. They ship to Canada

17. Nov 16, 2019 #14,117

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Wish my honey made that color. All I got was tan :(

sirtim100 likes this.
  18. Nov 16, 2019 #14,118

sirtim100

sirtim100

sirtim100

I'd send you the miraculous organic honey of Galicia, but the cost, the cost...

Marilyn Norgart and Mobjack Bay like this.
  19. Nov 16, 2019 #14,119

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Nice job on all of those. It looks like you got your very tall skinny mold! Did you make the little soap bags? Cute!

I made more beer soap today. Do you remember my first “rustic” batch with the ground oats? I’ve been testing it and it is uber scratchy. It’s a good thing I made only a small batch because I can’t think of anything to do with it except toss it. It’s even too scratchy for the bottom of my feet.

20. Nov 16, 2019 #14,120

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Carla Burke

Lol! I just mean building the stalls, stringing the fences, the milking/grooming stanchion & mangers I've yet to build, not the milking, shearing/ processing, and soap making. At 55, I kinda thought my construction days were over - much less my 'me-do-it' construction days. I've been rejecting hubs' help, other than, "would you please hold this steady for me, for a minute, so it doesn't knock me out, while I'm bent under it".