What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not totally soapy but I stopped by my local health food store for some jojoba oil so I can make some more syndet shampoo bars for this weekend's market. One small (4 oz) bottle was $22.00!! Nope, just nope!

If I order from one of my usual suppliers, it won't arrive in time for this week's market and maybe not even for next week's market. I'll have to buy it locally but those prices hurt!

Aaaagh! No, don't do it! Your customers will forgive you if you are out of stock.

....Blood red, viscous, gave me quite a fright. Started looking around for hex marks on the kitchen wall, small dead animals nailed to the patio door. Nothing... ...However, I may have to exorcise the stick blender...
Smack Laugh.gif
... plus I spewed coffee when I first read this!!

But I’m adding some poppy seed. For about 60 oz oil, 1 tablespoon too much? I don’t what it too abrasive. What do you think?
I think it will be quite pretty!The general rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of dry ingredient PPO. So, for 60 oils you're right in the lower echelon of that amount of poppy seeds, which is where you want to be because they can be quite scratchy.

Personally, that recipe makes a lovely facial soap -- I use it daily, AM & PM. I'd save the poppy seeds for a dedicated exfoliation bar used 1-2 times per week at most. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I made three small batches of Christmas soaps the last couple days. I used ingredients I had on hand and the batter went from not even emulsified to thick trace in the blink of an eye so I had lots of air pockets in my layered pencil line batches. At least my hangar swirl turned out nicely. I’ll post pics in a sec....I also have been knitting little soap sachets to hold nibblets of soap or a new bar. I can knit one a day (I’m not the world’s fastest/best knitter).

View media item 2436View media item 2435View media item 2434View media item 2433View media item 2432View media item 2433View media item 2432
Sorry about all the duplicates. I was trying to just post the links to my album, but obviously messed that up!

The soapy thing I did this week was drive from central Missouri to Lincoln, Nebraska, to get a trio of goats, brought them home, and settled them into the stalls I built into an old garage (thus turning it into a barn). Yesterday, today, and until it's done, I'll be stringing fence, for them... So, I guess the soapy thing I'm in the process of doing is becoming a goat rancher. They'll give milk for soap (and of course foodie stuffs), fiber to wrap my soap bars in (built in wash cloth, sorta thing), and make a soft, wool felt rug to step out of the shower onto... Does that count?

The soapy thing I did this week was drive from central Missouri to Lincoln, Nebraska, to get a trio of goats, brought them home, and settled them into the stalls I built into an old garage (thus turning it into a barn). Yesterday, today, and until it's done, I'll be stringing fence, for them... So, I guess the soapy thing I'm in the process of doing is becoming a goat rancher. They'll give milk for soap (and of course foodie stuffs), fiber to wrap my soap bars in (built in wash cloth, sorta thing), and make a soft, wool felt rug to step out of the shower onto... Does that count?
. Oh my! That really counts! Do you spin wool, too?

. Oh my! That really counts! Do you spin wool, too?
Ha! Not yet! Ok, I've used a drop spindle, just playing around, with it, to see if I'd like it. Getting a consistent texture with a drop spindle is difficult, but a fun, slubby yarn was definitely doable, and I really want to try out a wheel - then, learn to use a bigger weaving loom, rather than just a lap loom. I really enjoy making felt, but doing it this completely from scratch will be a WHOLE new ride, lol! I've bitten off a pretty big chunk, and I get the feeling I'm going to drive my poor hubs to the brink, lol. But, I'm doing this all by myself! He's financing it - but, I'm doing all the work. I built the stalls, myself - a friend helped me bring home the building materials and straw. And, I have no heavy equipment to help hail the fencing, straw, or anything else around, or put the posts in, or anything. I have a wagon, aand my hand tools. That's it, lol. I'm getting too old, for this!

I'm getting too old, for this!
Obviously, you're not! :D I made my first batch of soap at age 60. Here I am 16 years later and still at it. It's good to have something fun and useful to do during the retirement years.

The downside, of course, is that when you run out of something you can't just run to the store or go online to buy more, you hafta make it. :p

...jojoba oil so I can make some more syndet shampoo bars for this weekend's market. One small (4 oz) bottle was $22.00!!

I recently ordered this jojoba oil from Sun Pure Botanicals on Ebay. Shipping from NM to CO takes 3 days... add another half day for getting the packaging opened! Haha Leslee is so OCD about taping up a box, an order could probably travel to the moon and back and arrive intact. I kid you not! I luv doing business with those ladies. Good people are hard to find. :thumbs:

I recently ordered this jojoba oil from Sun Pure Botanicals on Ebay. Shipping from NM to CO takes 3 days... add another half day for getting the packaging opened! Haha Leslee is so OCD about taping up a box, an order could probably travel to the moon and back and arrive intact. I kid you not! I luv doing business with those ladies. Good people are hard to find. :thumbs:
They are great with very fast shipping. I have never had any issues purchasing from Pure Botanicals either.

Looks great but I'm in Canada.

Sorry about all the duplicates. I was trying to just post the links to my album, but obviously messed that up!
Nice job on all of those. It looks like you got your very tall skinny mold! Did you make the little soap bags? Cute!

I made more beer soap today. Do you remember my first “rustic” batch with the ground oats? I’ve been testing it and it is uber scratchy. It’s a good thing I made only a small batch because I can’t think of anything to do with it except toss it. It’s even too scratchy for the bottom of my feet.

Obviously, you're not! :D I made my first batch of soap at age 60. Here I am 16 years later and still at it. It's good to have something fun and useful to do during the retirement years.

The downside, of course, is that when you run out of something you can't just run to the store or go online to buy more, you hafta make it. :p

Lol! I just mean building the stalls, stringing the fences, the milking/grooming stanchion & mangers I've yet to build, not the milking, shearing/ processing, and soap making. At 55, I kinda thought my construction days were over - much less my 'me-do-it' construction days. I've been rejecting hubs' help, other than, "would you please hold this steady for me, for a minute, so it doesn't knock me out, while I'm bent under it".

Looks great but I'm in Canada.
See the new posting from Zany. They ship to Canada
Here's the link to Sun Pure Botanicals on the Recommendations Forum
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/sun-pure-botanicals.77180/

Do you remember my first “rustic” batch with the ground oats? I’ve been testing it and it is uber scratchy. It’s a good thing I made only a small batch because I can’t think of anything to do with it except toss it. It’s even too scratchy for the bottom of my feet.
:eek: YIKES! I mean about "tossing it". Just wait a year or so to see if it improves over time. Next time, if you want oats in your batch, try oat flour -- I use Bob's Red Mill -- get all the soothing power of oat meal without the scratchiness -- less mess after using it in the tub too. :thumbs:

I'll be stringing fence, for them..

have you ever had goats before?? they are so much fun--but once they find a way out you will be fetching them all the time :) . and no matter how many times I spent in the woods in the dark and high heat and humidity getting eaten alive by skeets while trying to throw a 100 pound kicking goat back over the fence---I still miss them :)

Kari your soaps are so pretty--i esp love the green and gold and you are doing a good job on the sacks------but ya really need to pick up the pace--only one a day?:p hahaha--don't be so hard on yourself, it would probably take me a week to do one

So pretty!!!! Love the handmade holders!

Do you remember my first “rustic” batch with the ground oats? I’ve been testing it and it is uber scratchy. It’s a good thing I made only a small batch because I can’t think of anything to do with it except toss it. It’s even too scratchy for the bottom of my feet.

I’ll see your scratchy and raise you - used glass cutter soap.

081EB7CC-6B9C-4160-BB07-6FEF143D0DF4.jpeg

If it wasn’t amazing soap, and some expensive ingredients I’m not sure... no, I’m super cheap, I’d still use it. It’s two, maybe three years old. No DOS on any of em

Last edited:
have you ever had goats before?? they are so much fun--but once they find a way out you will be fetching them all the time :) . and no matter how many times I spent in the woods in the dark and high heat and humidity getting eaten alive by skeets while trying to throw a 100 pound kicking goat back over the fence---I still miss them :)

Nope! I've had horses, a milk cow, beef cattle, chickens, ducks, rabbits, geese, dogs, cats, guinea pigs, gerbils, ferrets, hamsters, snakes, geckos, red wigglers (worms/vermiculture), and a budgie. These are my first 3 goats. Thankfully, the only way any of them will ever weigh 100#, is if they decide to go swimming, and their wool soaks up a LOT of water. They're a Nigerian dwarf/angora cross, and I think, fully wooled-out, Kola (the aforementioned currently-fragrant buck) is fully grown, and weighs under 75#. He's only 28" tall, at the wethers, and can only *just* get his front hooves and nose to the top of his stall, to say, "HI!!", when we go into the barn. Marley, the doe, is only about 2/3 his size, and Calypso, their doeling, is only about 6months old. I just feel bad that I didn't already have the fences up, when we got them home. So hubs is taking them out on leads, to browse, and munch on leaves, while I string fence, lol. I noticed the folks we bought them from had a double thickness of fencing - but they were also raising quite a few sheep and about 25 Highlan' Coos (Highland cows), including some big bulls. But, yehhhhhhh, I've heard loads about their affinity for emulating Harry Houdini!

So pretty!!!! Love the handmade holders!

I’ll see your scratchy and raise you - used glass cutter soap.

View attachment 42571

If it wasn’t amazing soap, and some expensive ingredients I’m not sure... no, I’m super cheap, I’d still use it. It’s two, maybe three years old. No DOS on any of em

Is it too late to rebatch it, & strain the oats out?

Back