What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 15, 2019 #14,081

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

if I could use my laptop in the tub I would never get out of the tub :)

Mobjack Bay, KiwiMoose and Kari Howie like this.
  2. Nov 15, 2019 #14,082

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

_20191115_104156.JPG
    And a collection of mini soaps I managed to salvage. I still have about a cup of crumbles and shavings to make confetti soap with. I don't like wasting soap.
    _20191115_121209.JPG

3. Nov 15, 2019 #14,083

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

These look great! It's no spin swirl - I'll give you that - but a very nice soap otherwise.

SoapySuds and Dawni like this.
  4. Nov 15, 2019 #14,084

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Yep. It isn't. It's more like plop-and-hope for the best lol. I'm just surprised I don't have more air bubbles. That red really got thick and fell off the container and spoiled the pours, and by the time I figured how to move it, the rest didn't wanna swirl lol

Thank you :)

SoapySuds and Zany_in_CO like this.
  5. Nov 15, 2019 #14,085

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Actually, if you said "Yup. That's exactly what I was going for," we'd believe you. Nice pattern, really. :)

6. Nov 15, 2019 #14,086

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I made a third batch of @Zany_in_CO's no-slime castile. I think this one will look quite nice in the molds I've chosen.

Zany_in_CO and Dawni like this.
  7. Nov 15, 2019 #14,087

CatahoulaBubble

CatahoulaBubble

CatahoulaBubble

I got an order for 38 bars of soap in 6 different scents (of course none that I have already made) so I started the first batch tonight. 2 loaves of lavender. I gave in and ordered micas so now I'm playing with colors and swirls and combinations. I really think the lavender batch I made tonight will be quite beautiful. I can't wait to cut it. I also made some embeds for use in another soap later.

Zany_in_CO, Marilyn Norgart and Dawni like this.
  8. Nov 15, 2019 #14,088

violets2217

violets2217

violets2217

I’m trying @Zany_in_CO Castile recipe today. But I’m adding some poppy seed. For about 60 oz oil, 1 tablespoon too much? I don’t what it too abrasive. What do you think?

9. Nov 15, 2019 #14,089

sirtim100

sirtim100

sirtim100

Looks very nice to me. I'd buy it

Made my much vaunted turron soap.

Went fine, almond milk didn't go up in a sheet of flame when it came into contact with the lye. Went a weird colour, smelt a bit odd, but I put that down to some process similar to what happens with goat milk. The oils mixed very nicely, put the lye mixture in, then the FO mix and it suddenly turned into something out of a Dracula movie. Blood red, viscous, gave me quite a fright. Started looking around for hex marks on the kitchen wall, small dead animals nailed to the patio door. Nothing...

So I hurriedly slipped it into the mould and made like nothing had happened. And miracle of miracles, it went a lovely, rich, toasted brown colour, almost like the turron colour I was looking for. And it even smells a bit like almonds.

However, I may have to exorcise the stick blender...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
    Zany_in_CO, Nanette, Ladka and 4 others like this.
  10. Nov 15, 2019 #14,090

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Thank you :)
    I'd send you one if you want it badly enough :p
    Love the way you write lol
    Can't wait to see the soap. What was the FO? Maybe it'll help @Mobjack Bay get her elusive brown :D

Jennifer Horne and sirtim100 like this.
  11. Nov 15, 2019 #14,091

sirtim100

sirtim100

sirtim100

I think the colour was a combination of factors. I put in some honey to match the traditional turron recipe, plus the FO, plus the almond milk. I can send details about the FO. The only thing is it's fading quite fast now, it's turning a sort of nutty beige. Still fits in with the overall concept, though.

In my utterly limited experience, one ingredient that gives a good brown colour is dark honey. I did one soap with organic honey gifted by a friend, and almost one month later, it still has a very nice brown colour, a bit like fudge.

IMG_20191115_160118.jpg IMG_20191115_160139.jpg

The top one is the Transylvanian exercise, which as you can see, has lost the blood special effects and has gone a rather boring beige, but it's fine for my purposes. The other is the organic honey soap, which is a nice nutty brown.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
  12. Nov 15, 2019 #14,092

Kiti Williams

Kiti Williams

Kiti Williams

I think so, we MUST check our soaps for Quality Control!

13. Nov 15, 2019 #14,093

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I don't know what 60 oz is (@Misschief - heeeelp!) but I would use about a generous teaspoon PPO if you just want a pretty dotted effect.

14. Nov 15, 2019 #14,094

Kosmerta

Kosmerta

Kosmerta

Hi, this is my first comment on the forum. I am new to soap making an about 12 hours ago (so techniqually "today" ;D) I made my first pure castille soap. 22 oz batch with 0% superfat and a 50% lye solution. I used a small 5" mold, and in a few days I'll cut five 1" slices, then cut each in half. I've heard 1 year is the optimal curing time for pure olive soap, but just for the experiment I will test a slice at two months, and then each month consecutively and take notes. Just personal learning reasons I plan to also make pure coconut oil, pure palm oil, and pure shea butter batches just to help me get a personal experience with the qualities of each oil. I believe this will help me better create my own recipe.

Ashes&Alchemy's single oil experiment from 2013 came up when I googled "single oil soap" and is how I found this forum, A&A if you see this, thank you so much! Your blog is very informative!

KiwiMoose likes this.
  15. Nov 15, 2019 #14,095

Baqn

Baqn

Baqn

Updates from last week :) I am very happy that I tried salt soap

Second photo is my second attempt Pine Tar CP soap bar, first one is 50% Himalayan salt CP soap bar

Attached Files:

16. Nov 15, 2019 #14,096

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Check your soap sooner than a few days. With a 50% lye solution it may be harder than you think. I recently did a castile soap with 1.7:1 ratio (58% solution) and I let it sit for two days and it couldn't be cut without breaking (although part of that may have been my heavy handedness with clay and charcoal). Once the soap is firm and doesn't dent when you push a finger in, you can cut it.

My soap thing of the day: I made a to do list for the weekend that might include making two small batches of soap and definitely includes doing soap dishes.

Carla Burke and Kosmerta like this.
  17. Nov 15, 2019 #14,097

violets2217

violets2217

violets2217

Sorry.. I meant to put in as pounds anyway but I forgot, but I did exactly what you said. Thank you for leading me to the Castile soap recipe!

KiwiMoose likes this.
  18. Nov 15, 2019 #14,098

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

The Suds Master Supporting Member

I found mouse nibbles on one bar of soap in the basement. I chided the cats for not doing their job and may have mentioned putting it in their file for a future performance review, I was met with ‘whatever’ eye rolls and a flippant attitude. Still. Why eat my soap now? It’s probably because it’s the strawberry scented one. That does smell amazing, and almost tasty. On the other hand, no zap tests will be conducted in the foreseen nearable future.

19. Nov 15, 2019 #14,099

sirtim100

sirtim100

sirtim100

Threaten them with a vist to the vet, that never fails. They won't leave the basement till they've got the strawberry soap eating rodent

20. Nov 15, 2019 #14,100

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Or even just set the cat carrier out. My male cat detests the stupid carrier (every time he sees it he has to go to the vet). On the plus side, it is a safe place for the female cat to hide from him when he's finally annoyed her enough for the day.