What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. May 26, 2019 #11,941

Alien

Alien

Alien

I have a room of the house I use for my “studio” as I puts with crafts as well as soaping, would love to soap there, but there is no sink, so, alas, I am relegated to soaping in a somewhat cramped utility room, but it DOES have a sink...yay!

2. May 26, 2019 #11,942

kaysejean

kaysejean

kaysejean

Sliced some confetti soap that I made yesterday. Used a 2lb mold for the first time, and decided on a whim to double it. 18 bars instead of the normal 4-5 that I usually do per batch.
    What have I done?
    Also used glitter for the first time, and it's very pretty, but I may have gotten it everywhere though...

Attached Files:

Mobjack Bay, amd, KiwiSoap and 5 others like this.
  3. May 26, 2019 #11,943

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

That is exactly what I have planned and hopefully will get it started this year. I already talked to my granddaughter about it, as it is her room I plan to convert and didn't want her to feel displaced. She doesn't live here, but has always had her own room in our house ever since she was born. But she is a mere one year away from graduating high school and going off to college, and doesn't visit as often as she used to, so I figured she wouldn't mind if I changed her room to the other spare bedroom.

Now she is going to a soapmaking conference with me, so she may actually find visiting me with a soapmaking studio on the same floor as her room might entice another visit to the old hometown.

But it has to be built first.

The reason I chose her room is because it shares a wall with the upstairs bathroom and putting a kitchenette along that wall would be the easiest way to accomplish that aspect of my soaping studio. We have a whole section of kitchen cabinetry including the kitchen sink in our basement that is left over from my in-laws kitchen renovation years ago. They held onto it for years, then when they sold their house, my husband put it in our basement. It will work perfectly and also cut costs for the renovation.

All we have to do is call and get it started.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  4. May 26, 2019 #11,944

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Smack Laugh.gif Sounds like me... walking around looking for my glasses... while wearing my glasses on the top of my head! :rolleyes:

Soaping Goal for the Day: Correct the oopsie I posted on the Gripes Thread. In a "senior moment" of lapsed concentration, I poured melted coconut oil into an opened, half empty, bottle of olive oil sitting next to the scale instead of back into its container. :eek: I wrote down the net weight of the CO. Now I have to calculate the weight of the OO before figuring out what I'm going to do with it. Then it will be "cross-fingers time" to see if the formula works. :D

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Misschief likes this.
  5. May 26, 2019 #11,945

earlene

earlene

earlene

Oh dear, Zany! I'm sure you will work it out and make some soap that will work just fine. You know, you could always add a little more of one or the other to get the percentages you want and just consider is masterbatching.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  6. May 26, 2019 #11,946

The Cat Lady

The Cat Lady

The Cat Lady

Cut up some soap that I made over the weekend. The proceeded to learn all about glycerin rivers, water discounting and the use of Titanium Dioxide - and after a good days research I feel I have a much better understanding of this

7. May 26, 2019 #11,947

earlene

earlene

earlene

Today is a day for masterbatching: EDTA at 50% done; NaOH to go. Still haven't sliced my soap yet. Soon. Sliced soap. Will postpone beveling as I am waiting for my new beveling tool due to arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Two bottles of dry lye left! Time to order more. I amazed; I have more KOH than NaOH. When did that happen? So time to complete that NaOH order.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  8. May 26, 2019 #11,948

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I almost made my home office my soap studio and threw my work desk ito my room until my Husband pointed ut the error in my thinking..

9. May 26, 2019 #11,949

steffamarie

steffamarie

steffamarie

Had my best friend of 16 years over for the weekend and we made soap together! She chose the fragrance, design, colors, and the top, and poured almost the whole thing!! She's very proud of herself and I really enjoyed getting to share my hobby with someone that means so much to me. Fresh Linen from NG is excellent for layers, by the way - sets up in a jiffy!!!

10. May 26, 2019 #11,950

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

love the addition of the purple to the top and bottom--it really adds to the confetti

kaysejean likes this.
  11. May 26, 2019 #11,951

Amy78130

Amy78130

Amy78130

Thank you!!♡

12. May 26, 2019 #11,952

Amy78130

Amy78130

Amy78130

Gorgeous swirls!!

Bladesmith likes this.
  13. May 26, 2019 #11,953

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I love that Amy. I'm almost ready to make some more confetti soap - got a few odd bits than need using up. I like the layers you've used, it frames the colours of the confetti very nicely.

14. May 26, 2019 #11,954

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Not a great soaping day for me. I had this big plan to pipe the top of my honey suckle jasmine soap with little jasmine flowers and then honeysuckle sprouts. Yeah, well that didnt go as planned. my batter cooled to fast so my down the wall pour was sloppy and when i went to pipe I gt almost all the white flowers done when my batter clogged the tip.. I had to transfer it to another bag and another tip. I made too much batter thinking I would make the tops higher but of course, with the difficulties, that didnt happen so I put the rest in a smaller loaf mold.,. and worse, in my panic I forgot to hanger swirl the main loaf. It will be a miracle if this turns out at all and I may wind up rebatching. I hoping the sliced tops look better than it does as a loaf.

I am a sweaty, sore, and frustrated mess today.

soap top.jpg

Serene likes this.
  15. May 26, 2019 #11,955

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

As always, I decide to SB just ONE more little burst............. and that is just ONE little bust too much and BLOB :oops: hope it turns out ok but I think it will go in the Oops Discount bin.
    :smallshrug: Why do I have to do that? Because I like living on the edge :cool: lol

8 more batches done

Mobjack Bay and Dawni like this.
  16. May 27, 2019 #11,956

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Supporting Member

had a hard time motivating today---no soap but I got a couple batches of bubble scoops done, would have done more but I am out of SLSA. at least I got laundry done

17. May 27, 2019 #11,957

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Ok so the "Over-flow" mold that I just plopped my extra soap in after my disaster batch, actually turned out pretty good. Its likely better than the actual batch.

hsj.jpg

18. May 27, 2019 #11,958

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Cut pic :D

This is my "popular with the relatives" rice soap, with turmeric for added goodness, the vegan version.

@KiwiSoap, because you asked, and I noticed more people trying HP, I'm gonna write a presumptuous post on fluidity next, because I'm gonna pretend I'm not a newbie anymore lol
    IMG_20190527_112449.jpg
    Simple spoon swirl here, with the lighter soap poured only on one side, alternating with the darker part.

19. May 27, 2019 #11,959

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Fluidity, I am able to achieve it in HP but it seems fickle at times. I can use the same recipe, soap at the same temp, add the same additives and one batch will behave and the others turns into Sybil or the exorcist before my eyes.

KiwiSoap likes this.
  20. May 27, 2019 #11,960

Jstheidi

Jstheidi

Jstheidi

Supporting Member

Today I made dog shampoo bars with added Neem oil, and yarrow powder, peppermint oil, citronella oil, and eucalyptus oil. This is something my daughter has asked me to make for her dogs. Supposed to help with fleas and itchy skin. It is a very strong scented soap. I did 1 batch HP with rebatched soap bars and just added the powder and oils, and another batch CP. that way she has some to use right away and the CP batch can take more time to process. Then I hopped on this site to catch up and see what was going on and of course had to see the May challenge and figured I try that too since all my soap stuff was out and I had ONE empty mold left that could be easily filled. I almost ended up with soap on a stick because my FO excelerated to quickly. But I had fun anyway and it felt good to be making soap again. I have been so busy for the past 2 months and couldn’t even think of spending a day doing MY HOBBY. So now I’m off to read more fun soapy things here.

Zany_in_CO likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted