What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I’ve been soaping (and experimenting) for bout 11 mos. Finall ready to give some away. This is the orange bar that I wrapped for my friend. The flash pic shows how the color is visible thru the wax paper. I like the look of the wax paper but its a lot of work.
View attachment 35473
View attachment 35474
Those look great Dean! Is this the first soap we’ve seen of yours? Well done!

View attachment 35475 OMG!! My first soaping disaster! All is going well (and as per normal) until I added my EOs and FOs. First the ricing started. I had been warned that Gardenia fragrance could cause some ricing and 'slight' acceleration. Well - what an understatement! I managed to battle the ricing for the best part ( starting a separate thread 'bout that) but the soap started to gel right after i poured it. Next i look back after washing up a few bit and pieces ( say 5 minutes) and there's a crack in the top! So i take a pic and do some more washing up and then take another pic - maybe a volcano starting now? Wowsa! Rushed around trying to make space for it in the fridge - no it's too tall( pipe mould), and then the freezer - even less room in there, went outside but decided it was just as hot out there and if i found a shady spot under the trees the dogs would likely get at it, so i just left it on the kitchen bench in front of the window where there's a breeze.
I wonder what is awaiting inside? Those teeth things? Kind of exciting in a way. Shame about the waste of oils though.
No putting lipstick on that pig! It’s a mess to be sure. It was bound to happen though! It’s happened to me but I haven’t had the foresight/hindsight to take a pic of it. Maybe rebatching will create a rustic masterpiece!

So I’ve been soaping (and experimenting) for bout 11 mos. Finall ready to give some away. This is the orange bar that I wrapped for my friend. The flash pic shows how the color is visible thru the wax paper. I like the look of the wax paper but its a lot of work.
View attachment 35473
View attachment 35474
I use deli wrap papers - they are coated but not waxy and since they are food safe I thought they’d be good for soap too. And they don’t show creases/wrinkles

Last edited by a moderator:
Dean, I like your wrapping too. Nice.

KiwiMoose, I reckon you'll cut it, and somehow it will be magically perfect inside :p
(Seriously, if you can lay your tube on it's side, do that, put it on a rack and get some ice-packs on top, like those flexible ones that can be put in lunchboxes, or even ice-cubes in a towel ... you'll be surprised how fast you can rip heat out of a tube mold, just by getting the mold horizontal!).

Thing I did today ... buried myself in researching a product I have no intention of ever using. I really need to stop doing that (even if it is interesting :rolleyes:).

I know your in america and im not dean but what sort of wax paper do you use? Soy wax paper seems near enough impossible to find here i only knew soy wax paper was a thing after i bought paraffin wax paper. I like using wax paper to wrap my soaps and candles but would prefer to use soy wax paper

Just plain ol wax paper from the grocery store. Didn’t give it thought. I guess its petroleum base. Guess that's ok. I put petrol in my car. Maybe Ill look fir soy wax paper next time.

Those look great Dean! Is this the first soap we’ve seen of yours? Well done!

Thanks!

I think I might have posted a while back...prob to get feedback on issues. I was really excited and happy with my very first batch and then noticed that it was partially gelled. I was absolutely mortified and felt like I just discovered that I gave birth to a two-headed baby. Since then I’ve pretty much kept them hidden from prying eyes. They’re looking much better these days. Won’t win the SFM beauty pageant but they’re not horribly deformed either.

Now I have to upgrade my beveler so they don’t look like a deranged serial killer hacked at them.

I use deli wrap papers - they are coated but not waxy and since they are food safe I thought they’d be good for soap too. And they don’t show creases/wrinkles

I looked at those once b4 but didnt get them cuz I wasn’t ready. I was thinking of going bk to the store this wkend. Did urs come creased/folded? Do u cut them? Are they semi/transparent like wax paper?

View attachment 35475 OMG!! My first soaping disaster! All is going well (and as per normal) until I added my EOs and FOs. First the ricing started. I had been warned that Gardenia fragrance could cause some ricing and 'slight' acceleration. Well - what an understatement! I managed to battle the ricing for the best part ( starting a separate thread 'bout that) but the soap started to gel right after i poured it. Next i look back after washing up a few bit and pieces ( say 5 minutes) and there's a crack in the top! So i take a pic and do some more washing up and then take another pic - maybe a volcano starting now? Wowsa! Rushed around trying to make space for it in the fridge - no it's too tall( pipe mould), and then the freezer - even less room in there, went outside but decided it was just as hot out there and if i found a shady spot under the trees the dogs would likely get at it, so i just left it on the kitchen bench in front of the window where there's a breeze.
I wonder what is awaiting inside? Those teeth things? Kind of exciting in a way. Shame about the waste of oils though.

Good God! That looks like something from the ER. I’m sure you’ll rebatch/confetti it beautifully.

They are creased. I don’t cut them and they fit my soap pretty well. They are semi-transparent.

Here is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090RNE3E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use the midget size

Thx. I’m surprise they use the “M” word. Little Women of LA say its derogatory.

I didn't know there were other kinds of wax paper.

Me too. One more thing to feel guilty about. I was even hesitant to use ribbon cuz birds get stuck in it when disposed...especially if not cut.

I tried to make a Kintsugi soap. I believe this has been done with mica lines before but I wanted to see if I could make thicker lines.

Today I carved out some freshly-made soap loaves and poured gold-coloured soap in them to fill the cracks.

Fingers crossed.

Dean, I like your wrapping too. Nice.

KiwiMoose, I reckon you'll cut it, and somehow it will be magically perfect inside :p
(Seriously, if you can lay your tube on it's side, do that, put it on a rack and get some ice-packs on top, like those flexible ones that can be put in lunchboxes, or even ice-cubes in a towel ... you'll be surprised how fast you can rip heat out of a tube mold, just by getting the mold horizontal!).

That's what I'm hoping for Salty. Thankfully it has started to cool now so the crisis is over. Do you reckon it was just that FO that did it? I was worried about using coconut milk for the first time coz I had heard that can overheat. Maybe a combo of the two?

U said u dont sell...right? Do u plan to?
I don’t sell but I MAY in the future. Right now I give to family and friends and supply my Airbnb and my sister’s Airbnb.

Thx. I’m surprise they use the “M” word. Little Women of LA say its derogatory.
I know! I saw that and thought it was socially incorrect. But maybe that’s an appropriate use of the word!

I know! I saw that and thought it was socially incorrect. But maybe that’s an appropriate use of the word!

If little person stays in ur AirBnB tell them ur soaps r wrapped in “little” paper so u don’t get kicked in the shin. BTW I live in HoHood and am not impressed by celebrities. Heck Faye Dunnway worked out in my gym regularly always wearing rubber cleaning gloves.

upload_2019-1-26_17-10-39.gif

However, I’d lose my UknowWhat if I ran into the Little Women of LA and prob ask for a pic with them. Big fan.

Can u post a pic of ur wrapped soap?

Last edited:
If little person stays in ur AirBnB tell them ur soaps r wrapped in “little” paper so u don’t get kicked in the shin. BTW I live in HoHood and am not impressed by celebrities. Heck Faye Dunnway worked out in my gym regularly always wearing rubber cleaning gloves.

View attachment 35493

However, I’d lose myUknowWhat if I ran into the Little Women of LA and prob ask for a pic with them. Big fan.

Can u post a pic of ur wrapped soap?
Haha! You are probably right.

Here is a pic of my wrapped soaps
A144917E-FD78-4BD8-A784-759495785196.jpeg

So I’ve been soaping (and experimenting) for bout 11 mos. Finally ready to give some away. This is the orange bar that I wrapped for my friend. The flash pic shows how the color is visible thru the wax paper. I like the look of the wax paper but its a lot of work.
View attachment 35473
View attachment 35474
Thanks for showing the goodies, @Dean! You, too, @Hendejm - great colors!

Latest posts

Back