What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Showered with my first bar from the silicone mold this am. No shower lather-test pics! The bars are big manly bars. I usually go through a bar a week. These will probably last 1.5 weeks...which means less soaping unfortunately. Might eventually pick up another mold that makes smaller bars with rounded edges.

Last edited:
I figured out what I’m going to do for the Soap Challenge! It involves buying some apparatus to accomplish the mission!
I'm excited to see what you come up with. Your soaps are always beautiful. :)
It will be so inspirational to see everyone's interpretations.
That is why I love this board! So much encouragement to try new things and enjoy the process.

Janelle

Showered with my first bar from the silicone mold this am. No shower lather-test pics! The bars are big manly bars. I usually go through a bar a week. These will probably last 1.5 weeks...which means less soaping unfortunately. Might eventually pick up another mold that makes smaller bars with rounded edges.
Why are you only getting a week or so out of a bar of soap? It should last much longer than that. Are they just small bars? Just curious.

Why are you only getting a week or so out of a bar of soap? It should last much longer than that. Are they just small bars? Just curious.

I shower twice a day. I've always gone through a bar week, even with commercial soap.

We made bath bombs today. Our recipe calls for corn starch and we accidentally used baking Powder instead. All of the other ingredients were the same. We tried one of the bombs with baking powder and it reacted the same as all of our other bombs. Is the corn starch necessary or will we be ok with the baking powder?

I shower twice a day. I've always gone through a bar week, even with commercial soap.
Have you tried rotating your soap and storing outside the shower? Use one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. That would give each bar time to dry out more between uses.

And still no photographic evidence....

BaH!!! I unmoulded my challenge soap, as, as feared, it is not up to standard. So guess what I'll be doing AGAIN tonight! This time with non-accelerating EOs. Fingers crossed for me.
It can't be worse than my epic fail at dancing funnel!!Yikeskers!
29465-9fd8434cabda62d5ae4e7da52761b884.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried rotating your soap and storing outside the shower? Use one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. That would give each bar time to dry out more between uses.

No. I'm ok going through soap. God knows I have enough of it!

Made my second soap, in the test size slab mold, as it's a Soleseife that I wrote myself and tweaked around
8 times! 6% superfat, 25% salt by water weight (1 oz pink Himalayan to 4 oz water).

What was awesome and so unexpected was that my "light-plus" traced batter stayed light to med-light trace all during the splitting into 3, coloring 2, doing alternate pours, and scraping out each container thoroughly (I am usually a cheap-a*& that way). Stayed fluid, even though I soaped a little warmer this time, I think. Maybe 116 F -ish. (Just a WAG. Probably shouldn't state any temps in these posts, since i don't take them.)

I did not scent this batch. Colors made from ultramarine, wine, and emerald pigment and mica products. I really can't wait to cut this one! There might even be some dots in there, lol. :D

Increased from 12 oz. oils with first soap to a little over 14.5 oz this time, but still not making enough to fill the mold yet. Will have to check my measurements and volume calcs - they've gotta be off somehow.

2019-0116_2nd soap-original soleseife.jpg

Lastly, I sprinkled a bit of organic whole lavender flowers, and then somewhat regretted it... but i felt committed, so I kept going. Not too much. Maybe it will be okay...

It can't be worse than my epic fail at dancing funnel!!Yikeskers!
29465-9fd8434cabda62d5ae4e7da52761b884.jpg

Love the colors you got! Really, they don't look bad at all. In fact, they're making me hungry -- like some things from a dessert case. :D

yesterday and today are my mistakes days
I'll call it "Pappa al Pomodoro!" :D
because it really looks like this very popular dish here in tuscany where I live.. (it's more red than in the photo)

so today I soap a cheese and a "bread soup"

LOL!! cheese and bread soup!! At least you are soaping in Tuscany -- How bad can that possibly be?? :D

By the way, Pappa al Pomodoro looks very delicious, yum. I'll look for this recipe online. We're Sicilian and Sicilian/Napolitan in my house. :)

lvd0

pappa-al-pomodoro-di-nonna-alice.jpg
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Sooooo...I made the soap for my January challenge and I'm not happy! . ... I'll have to make another batch now for the challenge,

Wish you could have shown them, but I understand why you couldn't... at least until the challenge is over.

Still ... knowing Your soaps, my dear Moosie, they're probably drop-dead gorgeous anyway! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i tried what i learnt from youtube no idea how it is going to turn out i actually tried a few different techniques iv watched thinking they might compliment each other then because it had thickened and it took it to a light medium trace i did attempt some fancy pants thing on top i decided would look nice that was a last second decision and was something i did randomly then changed it to my liking so if it looks rubbish it was a practice soap lol

Attachments

• 20190117_000500.jpg
    20190117_000500.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190117_000451.jpg
    20190117_000451.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 26
Well i tried what i learnt from youtube no idea how it is going to turn out i actually tried a few different techniques iv watched thinking they might compliment each other then because it had thickened and it took it to a light medium trace i did attempt some fancy pants thing on top i decided would look nice that was a last second decision and was something i did randomly then changed it to my liking so if it looks rubbish it was a practice soap lol

I think it looks nice! I'm working on something with similar colors, just a little darker, using paprika for the reddish and turmeric for the orange-ish. Did you use pigments or food colorants?

I think it looks nice! I'm working on something with similar colors, just a little darker, using paprika for the reddish and turmeric for the orange-ish. Did you use pigments or food colorants?

i used mica was gunna do red and white because thats my rugby teams colours but cant find my bag of td anywhere so ended up doing a technique i saw online where you tilt the loaf mold then pour each colour a line then next and so on and because i couldnt find the white i did 4 colours instead of 2. used cherry bakewell scent because cherry and white are the team colours and rugby season starts soon already got the candles just need the soap now lol. might need to find some other red mica to actually make it again as the right colours and the td of course lol

My second soap today (3rd soap overall) is pretty experimental. (In case you missed my first one today, it's at https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ave-you-done-today.42556/page-478#post-739911)

It's going to be called "Hamburger Soap" (wryly) because the paprika and turmeric colors came out like ketchup & mustard! o_O I think I used too much product for the batch size (13 oz), plus red palm oil. Not too happy about it, but looked better with wine mica dusted on the top!

I did not follow through with my original pour plan of 2 layers with mica between, and instead tried something like a funnel pour -- minus the funnel. :oops: There's also calendula flowers that i first put on top, then ended up pushing into the batter mostly. It's already covered and sitting to gel, so no pics until I cut it... which might be almost 2 days for this one because the recipe I formulated is going to yield a fairly soft soap. Hardness of only 33, and sat:unsat of 34:66 (but conditioning 63 -- a winter soap). I'm fully expecting more than 24 hours, but we'll see. :) Gonna put everything away tomorrow and not soap for 3 or 4 weeks. I've made 3 different recipes, and now I'm gonna sit back and wait until I can try them out, and go from there.

Scented this one with Pennyroyal EO. Likely not too ordinary a scent choice, but I thought it went well with the herbal color scheme. Plus it repels fleas. Should you happen to have any.

Last edited:
We made bath bombs today. Our recipe calls for corn starch and we accidentally used baking Powder instead. All of the other ingredients were the same. We tried one of the bombs with baking powder and it reacted the same as all of our other bombs. Is the corn starch necessary or will we be ok with the baking powder?

I'm guessing you will be ok ;)

(Seriously, the bombs will be fine - they just might not last as long, depending on how much moisture they are exposed to - the cornstarch acts as a moisture absorbent and filler, and the starch adds a nice feel in the bath but isn't entirely necessary. Your baking powder will have a little cornstarch in it too, depending on the brand :))

Just cut end piece off and omg much better than i had expected :) Just been told by a friend she doesnt like it because i said it was going to be red and white and thats not what it is :rolleyes: got red and white mica in post on way now so when i soap at weekend it'll be what i planned for last night red and white striped

Attachments

• 15477336333292767393012888267956.jpg
    15477336333292767393012888267956.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 32
Lol definitely not red n white but still very pretty, regardless!

Alas, no soapy anything for me, though :(

Just cut end piece off and omg much better than i had expected :) Just been told by a friend she doesnt like it because i said it was going to be red and white and thats not what it is :rolleyes: got red and white mica in post on way now so when i soap at weekend it'll be what i planned for last night red and white striped
Well done! Some of my favorite soaps have been the result of something gone wrong. The problem with that is that I can’t repeat it and get the same result again!

Latest posts

Back