What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beautiful color. my eyes are playing tricks on me your soap looks 3 dimensional

I know what you mean but its kinda difficult to make soap thats 2d?

Thank you @shunt2011 glad you confirmed what i said was right and i wasnt giving faulty advise :). Was i right about false trace if you soaped too cool with sw?

I know what you mean but its kinda difficult to make soap thats 2d?

Thank you @shunt2011 glad you confirmed what i said was right and i wasnt giving faulty advise :). Was i right about false trace if you soaped too cool with sw?
yeah I guess you are right but the soap just looks rounded on the top to me, kinda made me think of ravioli.

@Chris_S any hard oils/wax soaped too cool could potentially cause false trace. Just keep your batter warm enough and it shouldn't be an issue. I've personally never experience false trace but have had other issues (ricing, cracking etc).

@Chris_S any hard oils/wax soaped too cool could potentially cause false trace. Just keep your batter warm enough and it shouldn't be an issue. I've personally never experience false trace but have had other issues (ricing, cracking etc).

Yes iv so far only experienced ricing and fo caused accelerated trace as far as im aware iv not had false trace iv got a pretty trusted recipe though and am getting more and more used to what to watch out for to try and avoid things going wrong. I was asking more for the purpose of @KiwiMoose because of what she said further up it sounded to me like it could of been false trace potentially caused by to low temps while using sw.

yes - I think I'm torn between needing to soap cool for time to do designs, and needing to soap warmer to keep the soy wax above melting point. However, this was not false trace, this was accelerating.

yes - I think I'm torn between needing to soap cool for time to do designs, and needing to soap warmer to keep the soy wax above melting point. However, this was not false trace, this was accelerating.

I was responding to Chris question. You would know false trace as it won't come together easily if at all. Acceleration is much more common.

Unmolded my soft-recipe "Hamburger" soap, my 3rd soap, and thankfully that catsup-red color muted to brown, and the mustard-yellow also muted. It's ugly to me, though -- looks like lasagna, or marble cake -- too much like food. Dear SO loves the way they smell, with the Pennyroyal. :) These will take a while to cure, I'm expecting, and should be a good summer soap with the insect-repelling EO.

Made these in a small cardboard box, not my 1 lb. wood mold, because of the highly-experimental nature of this soap -- both in formulation and the natural colorants. There's a little bit of rosemary leaf and calendula flowers in there, too.

These spent last night and this morning with a fan blowing on them because they were still too surface-soft. Hardened up nicely with the forced air flow all around, and under, too, since they didn't sit flat on the curved plate. ;)

Will be posting pictures late this afternoon of the 4th batch (still in the mold), which is back to more favored colors. :cool: Said to SO yesterday: "For 2 days in a row now, I said I was gonna put this stuff away, and instead I made more soap." He gave me that knowing 'guy grin' and said, 'yup'.

2019-0118_Pennyroyal hi condit loaf end_222702.jpg 2019-0118_Pennyroyal hi condit cut103101.jpg 2019-0118_Pennyroyal hi condit cut_223830.jpg 201901182019-0118_Pennyroyal hi condit cut_103051.jpg

Last edited:
Made a 1/2 pound trial batch.... Trying out Coconut Milk and changed around my recipe a bit.

No scent or color..... not ever going to try hand whisking again lol.

Let the wait begin

We all have meat-colored soap somewhere in our soapy past.

As for the insect repellent soap, might be better to make yourself a spray with your EOs instead, since the scent of the soap will just wash off in the shower.

Yeah, that's what I originally used the Pennyroyal for -- made myself an EO blend, flea repellent spray when I live in Mexico with a semi-feral cat and some of its feral friends wandering in and out of the house. :D

No soap for me. I have been working on behind the scenes business things (read: boring). Hoping that will change this weekend as I still have not made the soaps I said I was going to make last time I posted here. So on the agenda...
Soap for Farm Show demo (I know ... I need to get that one done, it will only have a 3-1/2 week cure at this point)
The Perfect Man Coconut Milk soap
The Tonic Soleseife
Dragons Blood ... but haven't decided what type of soap to make
Another version of a shampoo bar

Also need to mail a couple orders and send somethings to my friend who helps me with my jar labels - which means I need to get my part of the label making done.

Time to formulate two more recipes, so I can put my stuff away like I keep telling my partner!

1. I'm going to write and then run a modified "Zany's no slime Castille" through soap calc, a la @Dean 's mods here Zany's no slime castile but with OO not AO and something replacing the CB which I don't have any of.

2. Saw a 2-oil recipe here somewhere last night .... can't find it now, but it fired-up my imagination. It had a high proportion of CO and I forget what else (maybe it was OO?), but I'm gonna play with Soap Calc and try it out with the different soft oils that I have.

I ordered some pretty molds (was linked below, but showed security risk details ;p) which will arrive on Monday, so I won't actually make the modified no-slime castille today. After seeing Zany's soaps made in 'intaglio' cavity molds, I'd be inconsolable if I had to make these in a plain loaf mold!

Last edited:
Just hit order on some activated charcoal from amazon due on sunday. And got my red and white micas today really for my bakewell tart cherry and white stripped soap loaf im making to celebrate the new rugby season starting at the end of the month. Ill prob end up giving away half of it at the first match after its finished curing i took all sorts to the matches last season for people to try. Iv had a season ticket in the same seat for the past 3 seasons this is 4th so i know most the people who sit round me. Iv already made cherry and white bakewell candles too. Oh and spent an hour cutting up wax paper for wrapping soaps and candles then fonished wrapping all the remaining 'naked' candles. if i stay this awake i might soap tonight but its 11pm and i hate it when my sleeping pattern messes up so prob get some zzzzzs sooner rather than later

Just hit order on some activated charcoal from amazon due on sunday. And got my red and white micas today really for my bakewell tart cherry and white stripped soap loaf im making to celebrate the new rugby season starting at the end of the month. Ill prob end up giving away half of it at the first match after its finished curing i took all sorts to the matches last season for people to try. Iv had a season ticket in the same seat for the past 3 seasons this is 4th so i know most the people who sit round me. Iv already made cherry and white bakewell candles too. Oh and spent an hour cutting up wax paper for wrapping soaps and candles then fonished wrapping all the remaining 'naked' candles. if i stay this awake i might soap tonight but its 11pm and i hate it when my sleeping pattern messes up so prob get some zzzzzs sooner rather than later
Take it you're Wigan Warriors? :)
Featherstone Rovers for me ..... I'll have to work out how to do a blue and white striped soap!

Take it you're Wigan Warriors? :)
Featherstone Rovers for me ..... I'll have to work out how to do a blue and white striped soap!

Oh yes massive warriors fan here kinda criminal not too support the mighty warriors when you live and were brought up in and near Wigan. I saw a video im going to try that method. Basically its pouring the medium to thick batter onto a spatula so it lands more gently onto the already poured soap batter. if it goes well ill post the results and ill find the video so you can watch it unless you already know or have seen this done before. Think we might have bought a player from you Joe Bullock not sure why i think it was Fev we bought him off though.

Soaping after a month!

Trying out Zany's no slime castile but in HP..

Mine's got some tweaks so I wouldn't call it a castile anymore, not even sure if it qualifies as a bastille lol. The liquid part is the same though, and it's still mostly olive oil..

Soap is in the pot, seems to be cooking rapidly.. So far so good. But the universe likes playing with me so I'm sure there will be something that goes wrong haha.. Fingers crossed it'll be minor lol

Latest posts

Back