What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright @Zing here you go - just cut this morning. I'm a little disappointed, I wanted more distinction between the two colours:
View attachment 34835 View attachment 34836
When I was growing up (not in the US) we would often eat pasta with poppy seed sauce. This really reminds me of that, I think it looks great :)
(Seriously, the more I look at it the more I can feel the taste of poppy seed sauce... and miss it!)

Last edited:
Oh no! Fingers crossed for me then. I read that the the black currant absinthe discoloured to a tan - which is why I put it in the black part of the soap. The company I bought it off in NZ has good notes about the use of each of their fragrances. But the other company who I bought the cotton candy off doesn't.
At what point did the discolouration occur for you @Relle? Immediately, or after several weeks?

Can't really remember, I've had a sleep since then :D, I think it discoloured over time, it wasn't apparent at first, then slowly crept in. I never used it again and still have it, lucky I only got a small amount. I do love the scent, pity about the colour change. OK, just looked it up and it has 6.5 % vanillin in it, so that explains why.

Alright @Zing here you go - just cut this morning. I'm a little disappointed, I wanted more distinction between the two colours:
View attachment 34835 View attachment 34836
Okay, @KiwiMoose , you just need to hush now because I'm with @Misschief . This soap is gorgeous and would be at home at a high-end grocery store. Someday hopefully we can share scents on this forum because I'd love to smell that!!

I'm not sure how you did your in the pot swirl, but I've learned that after I plop in my second color, to take my spatula and make just one or two stirs around the whole pot for "wider" color bands (if that makes sense)-- any more than two stirs gives me "skinnier" bands. Again, Great job!!

Don't you know @Zing? - the bottom left is called 'Citrus Sorbet' ;-) Check out this thread:https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/what-should-i-call-this-soap.72846/
It's all coming back to me now....

I'm getting more confident/competent with SoapCalc.net and was able to tweak my favorite recipe to make it harder.

Every January, my wife has a tradition she calls "Operation Empty Cupboard" where she does not grocery shop (except for staples) until the cupboards are empty. She's challenged me to do the same with my soap supplies corner! I have a TON of wheat germ oil that I used to make lotion bars that used just a fraction of the bottle -- I'm off to research soaping with wheat germ oil. Happy New Year everybody!

Last edited:
It's all coming back to me now....

I'm getting more confident/competent with SoapCalc.net and was able to tweak my favorite recipe to make it harder.

Every January, my wife has a tradition she calls "Operation Empty Cupboard" where she does not grocery shop (except for staples) until the cupboards are empty. She's challenged me to do the same with my soap supplies corner! I have a TON of wheat germ oil that I used to make lotion bars that used just a fraction of the bottle -- I'm off to research soaping with wheat germ oil. Happy New Year everybody!
Operation empty cupboard sounds like a great idea. It's amazing how much stuff we end up with, cluttering up our space.
Today I'm about to try a strawberry and rhubarb loaf with a mica pencil line. Eeek!

I finally made a soap I'm happy with. I'm calling this one Paloma (it's based on Soaping 101's Dove copy), fragranced with a combination of Litsea Cubeba and Nag Champa.
20190106_141348_HDR.jpg

I finally made a soap I'm happy with. I'm calling this one Paloma (it's based on Soaping 101's Dove copy), fragranced with a combination of Litsea Cubeba and Nag Champa.
View attachment 34854
Oh my! That's is exceptionally pretty Misschief!

Here's my strawberry and rhubarb attempt. Will have to wait for the cut tomorrow to see if the mica line worked out. I used green for the bottom of the loaf, then the pencil line in green apple and bronze mica, then pink soap above the line. Then a bit more green soap and mica on top with a bit of a swirly pattern. I've got this week off work, so lots of experimenting to do. Such fun!
IMG_0599.jpg

My first batch of CPOP is in the oven. Made my apt smell wonderful. Bugs me I can’t peek.

Per SMF testimonial, I warmed the oven, put in the soap and turned off the oven. If I get partial gel or volcano, Ill be inconsolable....absolutely inconsolable.

That’s great to know. So it’s MP that this is a necessary step then?
Correct. (Sorry... was beating my husband at Crib).... You just don't want to overdo it on the mica, or whatever it is you're using for your pencil line. If you use too much, your soap can split at the line.

Gulp. No. Was I supposed to? Will I get ash now?
Nope, you won't get ash from not using rubbing alcohol between the layers... and if you do get ash (on the top), steam will eliminate it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your soap cut. I love the top.

I haven’t made soap for a couple weeks...Er, maybe a couple months now. I have been in the process of revamping my labels and scored Marie Gale’s book on eBay for $1.75 and I bought a new stick blender for $20!View attachment 34856View attachment 34857 score!
Good score. I looked at that stick blender (I like the turquoise one). Let me know what you think of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back