What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was me who said that in an old post I’ve now changed me method. I add 1 tsp AC to 1 tsp glycerine and I add 1.25 tsp of that mix ppo to the oils.

I SB it in. If you hand mix it in it won’t be as dark as the same amount of AC SB’ed.
Why did you change your method? I’m curious because I do it the same was as KiwiMoose and I liked how black it got. They did have some glycerin rivers in them but I thought it looked cool.

Decided i needed more success than last night play round with fo so ended up doing a batch using all 3 loaf molds iv got. I wanted to test the bucket out and see if it was any easier for bigger batches. It was just need to have a play with the temps next time wasnt happy with the temps i ended up mixing at because the oils were loosing tenp far quicker than the lye solution. Anyways i did one spearmint one lime and the last one was sweet orange because i already know they all behave so was happy using in a bigger batch. Love how they turned out
Love the colours you use @Chris_S

If it was me who said that in an old post I’ve now changed me method. I add 1 tsp AC to 1 tsp glycerine and I add 1.25 tsp of that mix ppo to the oils.

I SB it in. If you hand mix it in it won’t be as dark as the same amount of AC SB’ed.
I literally just put the powder straight into the bottom of the jug - not mixed with anything. Then poured half the soap batter on top - then stick blended :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the colours you use @Chris_S

They are brilliant very bold arnt they decided that im going to limit myself to 3 colours per loaf from now on it think it brings the colours out better always want white in there too. Plus if i end up selling i have to limit what i use because you can only change so many things per recipe variation you submit for testing and this includes everything you change so each mica added is one change per variation

Soapy things today, read read read and more read about soap and additives. Now to put that reading into a plan and make it soap. Just an aside I have almost been soaping one year and still feel like such a newbie. I know I am not always on here and posting but thanks so much everyone, I do gain so much from this forum. So here is to being around more this coming year.

Thanks @Misschief. I did a lot of research on SMF and YouTube before tackling that one. My FOs were black currant absinthe in the black part, and Anjou pear, cotton candy, and may Chang in the white. It all smells very fruity/sweet.
When I used cotton candy it discoloured.

When I used cotton candy it discoloured.
Oh no! Fingers crossed for me then. I read that the the black currant absinthe discoloured to a tan - which is why I put it in the black part of the soap. The company I bought it off in NZ has good notes about the use of each of their fragrances. But the other company who I bought the cotton candy off doesn't.
At what point did the discolouration occur for you @Relle? Immediately, or after several weeks?

Made my first soleseife soap last night. Will see in a couple of months, but this being my 2nd batch of soap, so far I consider it a success.
I divided the batter in half and put some aloe in one of them (pureed leaves -- should have really just gone with the gel, since I don't really like *stuff* in my soap.... but I was pretty bad at cutting the gel out so just ended up pureeing the whole leaves). Curious to see whether it makes any difference in the feel of the soap.
The color is from infused annatto seeds, and I like it even if it fades a bit.

IMG_4897.jpeg

Really pretty color and mold design!
Thanks! Yes, I like the color a lot. I got the mold at a garage sale sometime ago (it was sold as a baking pan and that's what I was using it for too). Based on just this 1 experience I'm not sure I'm a fan of individual cavity molds (kind of a pain to fill them esp. with thicker batter), but the design is pretty nice.

I agree! Plus I can’t seem to get them to gel
Yeah. My original plan was to not gel the plain half and gel the aloe half (just to see the difference), so I put the plain half in the freezer/fridge. But I don't think the aloe half gelled either, although I covered it for some insulation (should have put it in the oven with just the light on, that keeps the temp about 80-100 deg., but somehow didn't think about it last night).

I smelled all my soaps today, I think that counts.
Course my office IS the soap room lol
Welcome to my everyday :)

Made my first soleseife soap last night. Will see in a couple of months, but this being my 2nd batch of soap, so far I consider it a success.
I divided the batter in half and put some aloe in one of them (pureed leaves -- should have really just gone with the gel, since I don't really like *stuff* in my soap.... but I was pretty bad at cutting the gel out so just ended up pureeing the whole leaves). Curious to see whether it makes any difference in the feel of the soap.
The color is from infused annatto seeds, and I like it even if it fades a bit.

View attachment 34829
These are gorgeous atiz! It just goes to show that a simple mould and colour can bring just as much to the party as fancy swirls.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 34812 Here is the soap I’ve made the past few days! I think I have a problem. Over 90 bars....I don’t have that many friends! I’m over 300 bars at this point!
@Hendejm Looks awesome! Tell me how you colored the top middle white one. And tell us about the bottom left green and brown one. But all look great.
@KiwiMoose I'm impatient to see the cut!! Don't leave us hanging!

@Hendejm Looks awesome! Tell me how you colored the top middle white one. And tell us about the bottom left green and brown one. But all look great.
@KiwiMoose I'm impatient to see the cut!! Don't leave us hanging!
Thank Zing! Top middle white one is colored with titanium dioxide - scented with jasmine frangrance oil. Bottom left is as Kiwi mentioned - named by this forum member - @Misschief. It’s bergamot honey frangrance. Color was off with the stripe so I put a question out there and that’s how “Citrus Sorbet” was born!

mmmm holidays over time to work lol 80 pounds done and in the freezer will cut in 4 hours tomorrow off and 80 more on Monday lemongrass, sweetgrass, patchouli, amber, lilac my house smells good

Latest posts

Back