What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 15, 2018 #7221

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

LOL Sounds like me! I'm sure you'll get it figured out once you're settled in and see what spaces you have to work with. In a way, I could use a move just to get all my stuff better organized -- or move to a place that has two kitchens -- saw a townhome like that once. The basement had a large laundry room with a huge countertop/worktop with storage underneath dead center; surrounded by U-shaped configuration of washer/dryer, kitchen appliances and double sink, crafting, etc, all with cabinets up and down, and counter space all around. To. Die. For.

msunnerstood likes this.
  2. May 15, 2018 #7222

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

Supporting Member

still having 380 soaps, I made around 100 bb and 48 pedi bath bombs, It is going to take a long time to pack it up. :)

msunnerstood and Zany_in_CO like this.
  3. May 15, 2018 #7223

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

:lol: Careful with the Canola, I love Canola HO in soap. It really frustrates me when I read the ingredient list on some soaps for sale and there it is first, Coconut. I would also hate a 40% CO soap
    I made 4 Vegan soaps today, Volcano, BRV, Iced Orange Pineapple and Rose. I really hate working with my vegan recipe, due to it being a quick tracing batter, so now I am going to go make Milk & Honey, and thinking I will use a combination of gm and camel's milk with some hump fat. hmmmm...sounds like a plan, then I have 3 test samples to make, Coconut, Caramel & Tobacco, and Sweet Pea from Cal Candle.
    I am back to the parents Wed for 3 weeks so soaping is done for awhile. Last Friday I poured Cedarwood and Vanilla (Cal Candle), Coconut (Camden Grey), Volcano, Mango Papaya (Cal Candle), and 2 batches of Eucalyptus Salt bars (Cal Candle FO)

zanzalawi, amd and Lin19687 like this.
  4. May 15, 2018 #7224

Kim Pyrros

Kim Pyrros

Kim Pyrros

C35BF22A-F65D-4C95-BC02-BCBD943A2C36.jpeg I made a batch of Shampoo. I thought I had a FULL cabinet of everything because I have so much supplies. I ran out of castor oil, coconut oil, and tarrow... so mud melt of oils my husband dashed out for castor and coconut because that’s relatively easy-to find those (there’s no substitute for castor so I adjusted the % (in case he didn’t find castor) ran the numbers through the lye Calculator and yay! It was ok bfor that component but Tarrow? I needed 35% a lot ! (What do I have what could I use) LARD! I looked at specific gravity (almost same) and used it. Hubby came back with wrong coconut but great castor oil (only 8oz needed 9oz but I wasn’t saying word. He RAN for right oil. ( I was Mother’s Day and again no present from kids and no cards) anyway I finally made it. It came out so good so far. Thanks for listening . It’s kinda but super lather. K

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  5. May 15, 2018 #7225

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

20180515_122617[1].jpg
    top came out ugly, hope the inside is better :) At least i got it in and had extra batter to make small sink soaps. Part of the top stuck to the cardboard for gelling.
    Edit, Lavender Sage, veggie soap. I soaped super cool today and it got thicker faster then normal. At least that is what i am blaming it on :p

Kim Pyrros likes this.
  6. May 15, 2018 #7226

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Oh, I have no problem with Canola itself in a well balanced recipe. It's when the recipe reads "Saponified oils of coconut, canola and castor" and it has a $7 price tag that I have a problem. (Don't even get me started on the whole "saponified oils..." thing. That's a whole 'nother rant of mine.) Now, if the ingredients had included some tallow/lard/palm, I wouldn't have gone off on an anti-canola fit. Although the $7 price tag for a 3oz bar might have still given me a fit. :)

shunt2011 likes this.
  7. May 15, 2018 #7227

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I was just kidding, I knew what you meant :D and I fully agree. FDA does not recognized the word "Saponified" but people cannot seem to label correctly

amd likes this.
  8. May 15, 2018 #7228

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I knew you were in good spirits about it, but wanted to clarify for others. Don't want rumors that Sherry and Carolyn are in a blood war over canola, haha! Also, I figured there are others who use canola and didn't want them to feel uncomfortable about posting that they use it. I'm still fiddling with balancing a recipe using HO sunflower oil. I thought I had it, but my entry in the hidden hearts swirl challenge has already developed DOS. Really really bad DOS. I need to get pics and info posted in the troubleshooting thread because I'm not entirely convinced it is the recipe. For now I'm assuming it is and not using that recipe until I get more input.

Chit Chat aside... last night I packaged and labeled more soap. Realized there were two more batches that are done curing, so I have moved them over to the workspace to be cleaned up and packaged. These are for a wholesale order, so hopefully I can get them packaged up for delivery on Thursday. Yesterday Carolyn and I were talking about DB FO, which reminded me that I had a sample from BCN, and I had just enough oils to make the test batch, so I whipped that up quick. I had to take a break to clean the kitchen so I could masterbatch a bucket of oils. Oh man, I am so glad I took the time to portion out my hard oils when they came in the door. I dumped everything out of the ziploc baggies into the pot, weighed out my liquid oils, and I had everything done, cleaned up and put away in 30 minutes. It used to be an hour per bucket. This afternoon I am ordering more coconut oil. I used the last of my pre-measured baggies, and it looks like I have maybe enough for two more buckets. I'm working on picking up another wholesale account, so I expect I will need more coconut oil sooner rather than later! Not sure what I'll get done tonight. I'm getting some inkwork done on one of my arms and touchups done on one of my legs, so I might be too sore to do more than pop ibuprofen and work on webstore listings.

cmzaha and Lin19687 like this.
  9. May 15, 2018 #7229

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Wow 30 min ! Only on a great day could I do that :)

I cut my soap, it gelled well and I think it has been sitting out of the mold for 6-7 hours. I am always afraid to cut too late with the Bud Cutter. But BOY does it make short work of cutting a long log !!!
    I am happy with the swirl, wish color was a bit better 20180515_183558[1].jpg

scard, Moose Wrangler and Zany_in_CO like this.
  10. May 16, 2018 #7230

Kim Pyrros

Kim Pyrros

Kim Pyrros

Wow! That is some serious soaping!

11. May 16, 2018 #7231

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Way ta go, amd! Doin' the Happy Soapers Dance for you! happy-feet-penguin.gif

12. May 16, 2018 #7232

Moose Wrangler

Moose Wrangler

Moose Wrangler

I did a first go at using the second batch of soap I made. I would describe it as the most disappointing and unsatisfying soap experience I've ever had. Next to no lather and kind of slimy- although it seemed to get sightly better the next couple times I used it. I'll probably let it just sit for another month before trying it again.

I also unmolded the castille and 100% sesame (because, curious) soaps I made.

13. May 16, 2018 #7233

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Supporting Member

I took pictures! I had made soap I had not photograph. I always like to have a picture. Here is one I took. Coconut soap.

20180421_144646_Burst01.jpg

wardbond and Lin19687 like this.
  14. May 16, 2018 #7234

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

15. May 16, 2018 #7235

Moose Wrangler

Moose Wrangler

Moose Wrangler

Definitely! I just grabbed it on my way to work because the "date made" was over a month ago on it. Looked back at my notes and the recipe when I got home... It's 80% olive oil. It needs a much longer cure time.

16. May 16, 2018 #7236

Zing

Zing

Zing

Here's my first time using the spoon swirl technique. And I used litsea cubeba EO as scent. It will be hard to wait during the curing time.... litsea.jpg

Zany_in_CO and Lin19687 like this.
  17. May 16, 2018 #7237

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Cool I have not used that method yet.
    2 more batches done, Loving Spell and Dragon's Blood <-- I am all set up to make it just trying to figure out what color)

18. May 16, 2018 #7238

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Supporting Member

I just purchased 1.5lb of Sodium Gluconate!

I was almost completely out of EDTA, and had to order more. But after reading this thread I just HAD to try that one to see if I can switch!

Thanks @nframe for talking about it, can`t wait to test it soon.

It will of course take weeks before I can test the results, but at the end of summer I should see if this is my new and preferred chelator. It is said to be even more effective than EDTA, and it is more "natural" in its origin (yeah, I know, whatever that means...) so if it works out I am going to redo my labels and add it to my safety asessement instead of the EDTA, before I send it in.

Btw, the SG is manufactured by Jungbunzlauer in France, that someone mentioned earlier in the linked thread.

19. May 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM #7239

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

The only soapy thing I've done this week is test soap I brought along with me to Hawaii. I think my testing is skewed by the environment. I have found that salt soap sitting dry inside a non-air conditioned room draws so much moisture from the air that it has a pool of water on top of it after a few hours (maybe less, but we were gone all day long). So I learned to dry it off and keep it in a plastic baggy each day. I made salt soap 100% CO with equal salt to oils a few weeks ago (not technically ate it's best due to the longer cure time for optimum use) and brought one bar with me to see if there is a difference in tropical weather. I haven't used it in non-tropical weather yet, so cannot say what difference other than the pooled water on top.

Also looked at soap where ever we went when it was available. At Kaua'i Coffee, the soap they have (made by someone else, but with coffee additives) is not higher priced than hand-crafted soap around the mainland. I was surprised, considering most things are far more expensive here than on the mainland. I did not buy any, because I just don't have room in my luggage for other people's soap at this point. I do have to leave some room for gifts for family and so far, have only got a couple of small items.

Lin19687 and amd like this.
  20. May 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM #7240

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

@earlene I hope you are enjoying your vacation! I have a friend who will be there at the end of the month, can't remember which island she is going to now. If the price isn't different maybe I can talk her into picking me up a soap so that I can cross HI off my 50 states list. Truthfully I think tropical weather changes the skin feel of salt bars. I brought a year old salt bar on our honeymoon to jamaica, and I was able to use it with no problems. I thought it was an amazing soap! Then we got home and I went to finish off the bar... and my skin completely hated it. I will be interested to hear your thoughts of non-tropical weather use.

My soapy stuff has mostly been collecting orders, but not getting them filled yet because I haven't really been home in three days. Friday is order filling day. Although if work continues to be this slow, I may take all day Friday off and catch up on everything. Three nights of the husband cooking for the kids has left my kitchen a disaster. So Friday will be pulling orders, getting things ready for the PO that need to go that way, packing for my show on Saturday, and maybe possibly masterbatching lye to give that a go on Saturday or Sunday. I want to make a batch of soap using WSP's Butt Naked in Bed FO, but I will rename it for my store. Not sure what, but it is getting renamed.

Lin19687 and cmzaha like this.