What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Acupuncture, try it, works great for my sciatica .
GL on the trip ! Sounds like a great time.

I have 2 batches done today, Loving Spell and Kulu. About to do Dragons Blood, will color with a dark silver black and see what the end result will be . Just waiting for lye to cool down

I bathed with my Green Bastille Ribbon Pour Soap made in Sept. 2016 for the SMF Challenge. I love this soap; it feels so nice on my skin and my legs feel so smooth and nice. It just reinforces the 'long cure makes better soap' statement. The fragrance was gone of course, but the soap itself is wonderful. This one may last another few days, because I only brought a small sliver left over from trimmings, so will be using other soaps I brought along for this trip.

full

Weekend Adventures: I left work early on Friday because the office cleared out after 3 and I had zero work. Good thing that I did. About 15 minutes after I got home a friend rang my doorbell. She had 40-some pounds of rendered beef tallow for me! So I weighed that out and bagged up for the freezer, all before my husband got home from work. I now have approximately 60lbs of lard and tallow, so I should be set for a month or two [or 9].

Saturday I made 3 test loaves using BCN fragrances (Cupid, Almond Cherry, and Funnel Cake). Photographed and packaged soap.

Sunday I hid from my in-laws and made 3 more test loaves using BCN fragrances (Crushed Ginger, Log Cabin, and Drakkar Type).

I was supposed to get some tattoo work done this evening, but my artist messaged this morning to reschedule so I guess I'll be washing soap dishes tonight.

Today I did a dishwasher load of buckets form this weekend.............. and I obviously didn't wipe a few out well enough.
Had bubbles on the floor. Darn good thing I was in the kitchen making MP Sugar Scrubs !! (oh yeah I did that today).

Opened dishwasher and sprayed alcohol in to kill bubbles. That worked and started it back up ;)

Yeah I am sure I will be making sure I wipe out MUCH better next time.

While driving through Kansas a couple of days ago, I impulsively stopped at TSC to buy Lye, then stopped at an ACE Hardware to look for lye because a few people here at SMF keep mentioning how cheap lye at ACE Hardware is, but I have never looked for it in any ACE Hardware stores before. I don't even see ACE Hardware stores very often, so I that's why I impulsively stopped when I saw one on the corner as I was driving back to the highway. Well, was it cheaper than TSC, yes. But it only was sold in one-pound bottles. Still $5.00 per pound versus $15.00 per 2 pounds is cheaper. So I'm glad I made that impulsive stop.

Anyway, that got me thinking, Oh, yes, I can make soap this trip, I just have to buy everything because I chose NOT to make soap this trip before leaving home. That lead to me making a list in my mind of what I would have to do to make CP soap in the very short window I would have to do so, even thinking 'I'll have to order another scale from Amazon and have it delivered to an Amazon Locker in Las Vegas before I arrive' etc. etc. Then it occurred to me that if I just went with MP, it would solve all kinds of problems about what to buy and what to do with the soap once I made it.

So yesterday I bought some clear glycerin MP at Michaels and some colorant & a couple of individual molds. I didn't really need the molds, but they were cheap. Now I plan to make soap this trip after all! In fact I will have about a day and half at the timeshare before I have to pick up Hubby at the airport. So that's when I'll make soap.

Lol Earlene. We are moving and I promised my husband I wouldn't make soap until we were all packed and moved and I picked this week to notice we were running low on laundry detergent. Of course that gave me a great excuse to make some liquid soap laundry detergent. my husband just shook his head as I pulled out the Koh from the boxes.

I don't I don't know if this counts but I spent half the day yesterday packing up all my soaping supplies because we're moving. I cannot believe how much I have. It was sort of spread out in different areas of the house. I'm not sure where I'm going to put it all when we move.

Have oils all measured out, just need to get Lye going and pick what color and scent to use.

Hahahaha... I'm the opposite today! I have FO and colors picked out, but need to do my oils yet...

I have not done much other than the above the last few days. I did package and deliver some soaps, and pulled some off the cure rack to be steamed.

We went to the junk market in the state above me on Saturday. It was much smaller than we expected, and so saturated with soapmakers. I think there were 10 total! I, amazingly, did not buy any. All of them were touting themselves as "natural" and/or "organic", and all very neutral one solid color. No bright colors or swirly designs. I think I've become a snob. If I'm paying $7 or more a bar, dangit, I want something pretty! The ingredients on most of them were pretty disappointing as well: CO first oil ingredient, RBO (which is nice, but not what I would expect in an $8 or $9 bar), Canola... I only found one that had shea butter, but after talking to the soapmaker it was a 40% CO bar, so my skin would have hated it even with the 20% shea butter (and she's only been making soap for 6 months). My husband was relieved that I did not buy anything (he found my fifth and sixth boxes of soap stashed in the closet)! Sigh. Perhaps being a soap snob isn't such a bad thing after all...

LOL,
Actually I put the oils together Sunday night.
I just started to get ready this morning then realised that If I got to the gym for 1:eek:o I will not be able to unwrap the soap from gelling.

So, I guess it will be for tonight ;)

So now I am about to get the oils ready for a few more batches so I am at least 1/2 ready to go ;)

I cannot believe how much I have. It was sort of spread out in different areas of the house. I'm not sure where I'm going to put it all when we move.
LOL Sounds like me! I'm sure you'll get it figured out once you're settled in and see what spaces you have to work with. In a way, I could use a move just to get all my stuff better organized -- or move to a place that has two kitchens -- saw a townhome like that once. The basement had a large laundry room with a huge countertop/worktop with storage underneath dead center; surrounded by U-shaped configuration of washer/dryer, kitchen appliances and double sink, crafting, etc, all with cabinets up and down, and counter space all around. To. Die. For.

Hahahaha... I'm the opposite today! I have FO and colors picked out, but need to do my oils yet...

I have not done much other than the above the last few days. I did package and deliver some soaps, and pulled some off the cure rack to be steamed.

We went to the junk market in the state above me on Saturday. It was much smaller than we expected, and so saturated with soapmakers. I think there were 10 total! I, amazingly, did not buy any. All of them were touting themselves as "natural" and/or "organic", and all very neutral one solid color. No bright colors or swirly designs. I think I've become a snob. If I'm paying $7 or more a bar, dangit, I want something pretty! The ingredients on most of them were pretty disappointing as well: CO first oil ingredient, RBO (which is nice, but not what I would expect in an $8 or $9 bar), Canola... I only found one that had shea butter, but after talking to the soapmaker it was a 40% CO bar, so my skin would have hated it even with the 20% shea butter (and she's only been making soap for 6 months). My husband was relieved that I did not buy anything (he found my fifth and sixth boxes of soap stashed in the closet)! Sigh. Perhaps being a soap snob isn't such a bad thing after all...
:lol: Careful with the Canola, I love Canola HO in soap. It really frustrates me when I read the ingredient list on some soaps for sale and there it is first, Coconut. I would also hate a 40% CO soap
I made 4 Vegan soaps today, Volcano, BRV, Iced Orange Pineapple and Rose. I really hate working with my vegan recipe, due to it being a quick tracing batter, so now I am going to go make Milk & Honey, and thinking I will use a combination of gm and camel's milk with some hump fat. hmmmm...sounds like a plan, then I have 3 test samples to make, Coconut, Caramel & Tobacco, and Sweet Pea from Cal Candle.
I am back to the parents Wed for 3 weeks so soaping is done for awhile. Last Friday I poured Cedarwood and Vanilla (Cal Candle), Coconut (Camden Grey), Volcano, Mango Papaya (Cal Candle), and 2 batches of Eucalyptus Salt bars (Cal Candle FO)

C35BF22A-F65D-4C95-BC02-BCBD943A2C36.jpeg
I made a batch of Shampoo. I thought I had a FULL cabinet of everything because I have so much supplies. I ran out of castor oil, coconut oil, and tarrow... so mud melt of oils my husband dashed out for castor and coconut because that’s relatively easy-to find those (there’s no substitute for castor so I adjusted the % (in case he didn’t find castor) ran the numbers through the lye Calculator and yay! It was ok bfor that component but Tarrow? I needed 35% a lot ! (What do I have what could I use) LARD! I looked at specific gravity (almost same) and used it. Hubby came back with wrong coconut but great castor oil (only 8oz needed 9oz but I wasn’t saying word. He RAN for right oil. ( I was Mother’s Day and again no present from kids and no cards) anyway I finally made it. It came out so good so far. Thanks for listening . It’s kinda but super lather. K

20180515_122617[1].jpg

top came out ugly, hope the inside is better :) At least i got it in and had extra batter to make small sink soaps. Part of the top stuck to the cardboard for gelling.
Edit, Lavender Sage, veggie soap. I soaped super cool today and it got thicker faster then normal. At least that is what i am blaming it on :p

:lol: Careful with the Canola, I love Canola HO in soap. It really frustrates me when I read the ingredient list on some soaps for sale and there it is first, Coconut. I would also hate a 40% CO soap

Oh, I have no problem with Canola itself in a well balanced recipe. It's when the recipe reads "Saponified oils of coconut, canola and castor" and it has a $7 price tag that I have a problem. (Don't even get me started on the whole "saponified oils..." thing. That's a whole 'nother rant of mine.) Now, if the ingredients had included some tallow/lard/palm, I wouldn't have gone off on an anti-canola fit. Although the $7 price tag for a 3oz bar might have still given me a fit. :)

Oh, I have no problem with Canola itself in a well balanced recipe. It's when the recipe reads "Saponified oils of coconut, canola and castor" and it has a $7 price tag that I have a problem. (Don't even get me started on the whole "saponified oils..." thing. That's a whole 'nother rant of mine.) Now, if the ingredients had included some tallow/lard/palm, I wouldn't have gone off on an anti-canola fit. Although the $7 price tag for a 3oz bar might have still given me a fit. :)
I was just kidding, I knew what you meant :D and I fully agree. FDA does not recognized the word "Saponified" but people cannot seem to label correctly

I was just kidding, I knew what you meant :D and I fully agree. FDA does not recognized the word "Saponified" but people cannot seem to label correctly
I knew you were in good spirits about it, but wanted to clarify for others. Don't want rumors that Sherry and Carolyn are in a blood war over canola, haha! Also, I figured there are others who use canola and didn't want them to feel uncomfortable about posting that they use it. I'm still fiddling with balancing a recipe using HO sunflower oil. I thought I had it, but my entry in the hidden hearts swirl challenge has already developed DOS. Really really bad DOS. I need to get pics and info posted in the troubleshooting thread because I'm not entirely convinced it is the recipe. For now I'm assuming it is and not using that recipe until I get more input.

Chit Chat aside... last night I packaged and labeled more soap. Realized there were two more batches that are done curing, so I have moved them over to the workspace to be cleaned up and packaged. These are for a wholesale order, so hopefully I can get them packaged up for delivery on Thursday. Yesterday Carolyn and I were talking about DB FO, which reminded me that I had a sample from BCN, and I had just enough oils to make the test batch, so I whipped that up quick. I had to take a break to clean the kitchen so I could masterbatch a bucket of oils. Oh man, I am so glad I took the time to portion out my hard oils when they came in the door. I dumped everything out of the ziploc baggies into the pot, weighed out my liquid oils, and I had everything done, cleaned up and put away in 30 minutes. It used to be an hour per bucket. This afternoon I am ordering more coconut oil. I used the last of my pre-measured baggies, and it looks like I have maybe enough for two more buckets. I'm working on picking up another wholesale account, so I expect I will need more coconut oil sooner rather than later! Not sure what I'll get done tonight. I'm getting some inkwork done on one of my arms and touchups done on one of my legs, so I might be too sore to do more than pop ibuprofen and work on webstore listings.

Wow 30 min ! Only on a great day could I do that :)

I cut my soap, it gelled well and I think it has been sitting out of the mold for 6-7 hours. I am always afraid to cut too late with the Bud Cutter. But BOY does it make short work of cutting a long log !!!
I am happy with the swirl, wish color was a bit better
20180515_183558[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back