What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not decided which scent to soap today, but DD says Fruity. I did an Apples & Oak and Autumn Harvest the other day,

"
I am slightly biased as I will not buy anything from them due to their 'religious' outlook[/QUOTE]

Just curious, is anything wrong with having a 'religious' outlook?"

When you don't allow a WOMAN access to medical supplies in your health insurance, Yes, Yes I do.

And it isn't just religion, If you won't hire someone based on the color of their skin or what country they come from, No I won't buy your products either.

EDIT, I just realized that you are not from USA according to your Avatar, so you may not know why or what I am talking about :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"
I am slightly biased as I will not buy anything from them due to their 'religious' outlook

Just curious, is anything wrong with having a 'religious' outlook?"

When you don't allow a WOMAN access to medical supplies in your health insurance, Yes, Yes I do.

And it isn't just religion, If you won't hire someone based on the color of their skin or what country they come from, No I won't buy your products either.

EDIT, I just realized that you are not from USA according to your Avatar, so you may not know why or what I am talking about :)[/QUOTE]

:) No I am not from the US, I am from Nigeria and like I said I am just curious. But I think I get you now.

:( It breaks my heart when institutions that are known to believe in God and are meant to show love and inclusion to all regardless of color, race or gender do the opposite..... Because God is love and He doesn't discriminate based on any of that..... He searches the heart...

While looking at my backed up photos in Google Plus, I realized it must be about or almost 3 years now since I started making soap. My first bar soap attempt was really a rebatch effort with store bought soap that I added some embellishments to as a gift for my husband. The next batch, if I remember correctly, was from scratch after I found a source for sodium hydroxide. And the adventure continues.

Historically speaking, the Google Plus photo backup doesn't have any of the soaps I made in 2015, because it never occurred to me to photograph soaps until January 2016 after attending my first soap making workshop.

Well, it's been 6 hours since I started this post! I got sidetracked by the photos, etc.

Here's one from of my first ever soaping photos:
full

So a soapy mistake i made yesterday...i started measuring out all my oils and i was adding and adding and the next thing i am thinking is “boy this seems like alot of oil for 30 cupcake soaps!” Then i realized i was measuring in ounces instead of grams!!! So. I made alot of soap yesterday. And i am making more soap today!!! So i will have plenty for the spring fairs and festivals i am going to!!!!

I made my first batch of Coffee soap tonight. it was much darker when it was cooking so I was worried but seems to be lightening up as it cools. Also made a batch of dragons blood which I knew there was vanillan in it so I went lighter with the red assuming it would darken.. it didnt and now I have pepto pink lol
Give it time it should darken. Most DB fo's go very dark brown. My DB does not darken as much as some but will still takes a few weeks to totally darken. It is really easier to separate off the batter and use the main batter for your dark, then make color swirls. I can't really tell if the swirl is brown or black but if brown you may not see the swirl, if black it will show. May I ask who's DB you have tried?

Last edited:
Give it time it should darken. Most DB fo's go very dark brown. My DB does not darken as much as some but will still takes a few weeks to totally darken. It is really easier to separate off the batter and use the main batter for your dark, then make color swirls. I can't really tell if the swirl is brown or black but if brown you may not see the swirl, if black it will show. May I ask who's DB you have tried?
the the dragon's blood soap is the red and black and the fragrance oil I got from fragrance buddy. It lists 1.3% vanillin

the the dragon's blood soap is the red and black and the fragrance oil I got from fragrance buddy. It lists 1.3% vanillin
I knew that was the DB. I have not tried FB's DB, but that is a low vanilla content for DB so it may not go to dark. The lowest, with many having 11% vanilla, is 4%. Other than mine a really good DB is from Pure Fragrance Oils

Just curious, is anything wrong with having a 'religious' outlook?

Who wont you buy from??[/QUOTE]

Saponificarian did not say this, I did. Please take it to a Private message if you want to talk about it with me.
------------------------------------------------
Today I tried a new swirl technique yesterday that just was no way going to come out. 1st I almost forgot the FO, then the Salt, then it moved too fast (my fault) and I ended up just making a mess.

Today I traced too thin for the Salt I think. Will find out how it went after I unmold. But it is taking so long to get stiff enough to take out of the mold due to the thin trace I think and I soaped a bit too cool.
Gremlins i tell you GREMLINS !! :hairpulling:

On the bright side my room smells yummy !

So a soapy mistake i made yesterday...i started measuring out all my oils and i was adding and adding and the next thing i am thinking is “boy this seems like alot of oil for 30 cupcake soaps!” Then i realized i was measuring in ounces instead of grams!!! So. I made alot of soap yesterday. And i am making more soap today!!! So i will have plenty for the spring fairs and festivals i am going to!!!!

Yes, LOTS of soap! But how nice you will be prepared for the fairs and festivals!

I made my first batch of Coffee soap tonight. it was much darker when it was cooking so I was worried but seems to be lightening up as it cools. Also made a batch of dragons blood which I knew there was vanillan in it so I went lighter with the red assuming it would darken.. it didnt and now I have pepto pink lol

Oh, I am pretty sure they will darken! I made Easter eggs soaps last year with pretty pastel colors, but the DB FO (which I should NOT have used) turned them completely brown. They started turning within a short time, but by 6 months they were probably all brown, now they smell great, but look awful. Brown Easter Egg soaps just don't look like Easter to me. :oops:

So as far as soapy stuff today: Nothing yet, as I am still working on computer renovations. (Newly installed HD due to previous HD failure.) So many things to do, and I am so easily sidetracked away from one project to start on another. Photo downloads, makes me want to work on making videos (and I did do one yesterday morning), but also makes me want to organize folders, and the list goes on. Software re-installations/downloads makes me want to look for other software, upgrades or latest versions, or even more powerful programs, which leads to time spent on research and searching, etc. Opening FaceBook yesterday lead to 4 or more hours of listening to the Mark Zuckerberg hearings in Joint Session while multi-tasking on the other stuff. And it looks like that's my today as well.

One of these days I am going to have to find out if any of my previously saved Soap Formulas got saved to the cloud. All I've been looking for is photos. It would be nice to find some documents, too, but I don't want to get further side-tracked just yet. Today one soapy goal is to get my Soap photos back on my HD in appropriately named folders. This always takes far longer than I anticipate. I need to follow my To Do List so I can stay on track!

I made a new soap that is scented with a combination of Petitgrain EO, Bitter Orange EO, Chamomile EO, and White Grapefruit EO. I also added mesquite honey. I left it the color of the oils but the bottom fourth of the bar has calendula petals mixed in. Will post once it is out of the fridge :)

I made a CP batch with Lilac FO, and a swirl.. maybe. Fast FO but for my regular CP I use the loaf mold (rectangular) so it may have worked out. Will find out tomorrow when I unmold it. It's all wrapped up for the night.

@Deadgroovy that's funny. But I realized I should have left the 'oz' section blank and hand write it in. too late now and all my Salt bars are over 7 oz but some are 8-9 ! Oh well . I did check the Biz cards 100 times to make sure I didn't spell SOUP or SAOP :lol:

You energetic soapmakers!

Me, I just read here on the forum, entered one of my soap formulas of old into my computer, and worked on downloading photos from my cloud to my hard drive, as well as reviewing what photos I have saved on an external HD so I don't waste time backing up photos I already have access to (other than the ones in the cloud.) I also called the plumber to schedule them to come out and repair the pipe that's leaking water into our basement (tomorrow morning) and kept my doctor appointment. Looked at oils in the grocery store because I always have to see if they've added some oil I might want for soapmaking. ;)

Latest posts

Back