What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't make any soap this weekend. Instead I made a soap cutter. Hopefully this will keep the cut sides of the bars smoother with less drag marks. I can't help but help keep them more even and straight.

I'd been looking at the Bud cutters and the copy-cats but just couldn't bring myself to spend $100 or more on something I could put together in an afternoon. So I put one together this afternoon. One of my other hobbies is guitars so I had some tuners and extra strings in a box in the garage. I had to buy a 2' x 4' piece of plywood, a hinge, and a fresh bottle of wood glue as my last bottle was rock hard. Not counting my labor and stuff I had in the garage, it cost maybe $40 to build.

I was only going to make the cutting bed 14" long but since the since the strips I was cutting were 24" long I figured I'd just leave it that long. Now I won't have issues with longer loaves if I get longer molds later. I didn't make the adjustable stop block but can certainly go back and do that later. I also may put a few coats of wipe-on urethane later but for now the wood is unfinished.

The cutting wire is the G note on an electric guitar so this is officially the G-String Cutter.

Cutter 1.JPG
Cutter 2.JPG

Worked on packaging the weekend including mocking up some display trays for a customer who wants to keep 4 varieties in stock.
IMG_0753.jpg
. Also taught a soap class to two friends. We had a ton of fun, they brought lunch and they are making a donation to our bee club as a thank you. Winner, winner chicken dinner,

Didn't make any soap this weekend. Instead I made a soap cutter. Hopefully this will keep the cut sides of the bars smoother with less drag marks. I can't help but help keep them more even and straight.

I'd been looking at the Bud cutters and the copy-cats but just couldn't bring myself to spend $100 or more on something I could put together in an afternoon. So I put one together this afternoon. One of my other hobbies is guitars so I had some tuners and extra strings in a box in the garage. I had to buy a 2' x 4' piece of plywood, a hinge, and a fresh bottle of wood glue as my last bottle was rock hard. Not counting my labor and stuff I had in the garage, it cost maybe $40 to build.

I was only going to make the cutting bed 14" long but since the since the strips I was cutting were 24" long I figured I'd just leave it that long. Now I won't have issues with longer loaves if I get longer molds later. I didn't make the adjustable stop block but can certainly go back and do that later. I also may put a few coats of wipe-on urethane later but for now the wood is unfinished.

The cutting wire is the G note on an electric guitar so this is officially the G-String Cutter.

View attachment 29386 View attachment 29387
That looks EXACTLY like the one a friend made for me! Amazing!

That looks EXACTLY like the one a friend made for me! Amazing!
Well, if you posted pictures here, it very likely inspired my design. I looked at many cutters before coming up with this design. The only thing I don't like is how sloppy the hinge is. Hopefully it won't make excessively wonky cuts.

I didn't make soap but I made an all Natural Tiger Balm that actually works! I had a terrible back ache from cleaning my soap room after months of not making any soap. But I knew if I was going to start up again I need to clean up and organize! So like many soaper's and crafter's I pretty much have "EVERYTHING" to make "ANYTHING"! So I came up with a recipe last year after about 6 tries that I'm really happy with for pain relief. So I made it again today. No petroleum junk for me. :) And my back feels much better.

I was suppose to soap today. I ended up wrapping soaps and packaging two boxes of soap to send to eldest child and wife and youngest child and girlfriend. Than I spent far to long comparing prices and placing two orders for more soap making supplies. Thank goodness the hubby is so good about me spending money on soap making as I feel totally guilty right now!

View attachment 29386 View attachment 29387

I need to make a cutter to cut my round log in 1/2 :( and it is for SALT bars You have inspired me to try and MAKE something..... along with all my other 'making' once Spring come.

Waiting on my Cotton Candy soap to harden and currently warming my oils to start my Oatmeal Lavender bars. Handed out all my MP bars so now I am trying Oatmeal Lavender CP for the first time, (fingers crossed). So thankful to this group for their help with my Cotton Candy...my first batch was all brown, this current batch turned out exactly how I wanted..NO BROWN!!! Hope everyone is having a great day!

I have been online and spent a ridiculous amount of money on beautiful new oils from Bramble Berry and Nuture..........It has been nearly two years since I got my soap pot out and I stamped my first batch of soap in soooooooooooo long. I used the scent Made to Measure from Bramble Berry and it soaped well, very slight acceleration but easy peasy to handle. I loved rambling through the forum today as well and now off to my bed as working night shift.

Attachments

• P3190054.jpg
    P3190054.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 18
I bought a 7 qt crock pot so I can do a bigger batch in the office/soap room and not have to go into the kitchen and use the oven :D

Couldn't help it, cost me $16 after $10 credit Walmart Savings catcher reward !!

Latest posts

Back