What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY did a test patch for HP (non-salt) bars. PO, CO, PKO, Castor. Picked up my oils on Friday at Jedwards in Mass.
Just a 1# batch so I used my small crock pot.

Testing out Gemlite's Palm FO. It smells nice and light, Sea-ish OOB. Added after the cook and WOW it really is strong and Perfumy, not really sure how to explain it, more harsh maybe.

Will see how it is after I cut it tomorrow.

@cmzaha I started an Ugly Soap Swap eons ago at The Dish. Loved it. Great soaps just not overly pretty. Was fun to swap with everyone. I think I hosted it twice.
20180310_171727[1].jpg

Last edited:
FINALLY! My herb order arrived and I'm starting to take things off my Round Tuit List:
Lotion for me, my mom and my sis -- DONE!
Double Calendula infused oil -- DONE!
Single Comfrey infused oil -- DONE!
MSM Emu Oil Cream -- Now that I have the Calendula Oil and Comfrey Oil this is next on my TO DO List.

Next item (newly added LOL) Herbal Infused ACV Hair Rinse inspired by the latest missive from Mountain Rose Herbs that is now selling a Chagrin Valley Hair Rinse, easy to make but needs to sit for 2-4 weeks before it's ready to use.
https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/p/apple-cider-vinegar-rinse-concentrate-summer-rain/
I LUV, LUV, LUV trying new things so I'm really excited to make this, including the Summer Rain EO fragrance blend! I googled DIY Herbal Infused ACV Hair Rinse and found two recipes to play with, along with the Chagrin Valley info:
https://wellnessmama.com/156328/herbal-hair-rinse/
http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/le...erbal-infused-apple-cider-vinegar-hair-rinse/

Okaybye!
Wave.gif

I used my new steamer on a few soaps today (yesterday) for the first time. I guess there is a bit of a learning curve as to how to do this without burning one's fingers or spilling boiling water over the soaps! I actually ended up just washing most of them off with water and letting them air dry. I don't have any more soap with me that I can use for practice, so I will have to try again when I get back home.

I had the same issue with the steamer. So I do it different now. I line up my soap and I get a plastic shoe box and turn it upside down ( without the lid) over my soap bars. I fill a pyrex 8 oz measuring cup with boiling water and place it under the shoebox in with the soap. I leave it for 30 minutes under there as it produces steam. No more ASH!

Yesterday I made a batch of vanilla & Star Anise soap. Delish! (4% Nurture`s Vanilla Cream fragrance + 1.7% Star Anise)

I have read everything Tisserand says in his book about Star Anise, and health issues so that people with certain ailments should avoid this oil.
But my research shows husband and I can at least enjoy this, so I felt confident I could do this safely.

Anyway, Cut it today. This smells soooo good, it is insane! My husband has been happy with my fragrance choices when I make things for us or just him.
This mix however, made him go way more gaga that anything I have ever made, it is crazy. I had no idea something could smell so... addictive? I have always thought anything liqurice would smell terrible in soap. I stand corrected!

We go and sniff those bars so often, we feel a bit silly:rolleyes:

I am really looking forward to see how it cures out. After reading about this I feel with confidence I could go close to the Tisserand recommendation that he gives in his book (1.75% for dermal use /with max 6.6% estragole) and not go by the ifra numbers of 0.15%.

My Star anise has incidently max 3.3% estragole, so that is a bonus.

I will make a small testbatch, only with Star Anise, and using the max of the ifra, and see how that smells after 8 weeks. I can`t imaging it would smell much, if anything at all, with that low usage rate (1.5 grams in 1000 grams of oils. Me no think so. But we`ll see, it is a potent oil after all)

I ordered fragrances from soapsupplies.net Does that count as a soapy thing? :DThis is in anticipation of being home in a week....
White Tea & Amber, BRV, Iced Orange Pineapple and Gardenia. I need to find a new supplier for Gardenia and have not tried hers or the Iced Orange Pineapple.

I use Avery weatherproof labels for my lip balms and lotions with not smearing problems using a laser printer. Not sure how inkjet work. I your printer accepts them Online labels have great weatherproof labels. Sadly my laser will not accept their labels since they changed manufacturers.

I bought some sticker labels and spray on acrylic sealant coating stuff to try out on a couple of labels for lip balm. There weren't any that said 'waterproof' and I'd kind of like to avoid spray cans
For lip balm tubes I buy 1.8 x 1.8" White Waterproof INKJET Label from Elements Bath & Body:
https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Labels/

What I like about Elements, other than the fact that they're in Colorado, is that I can buy labels by the single sheet or in multiples for a better price per sheet. The thing is, I only need a few of the 3" rounds, a few of some others, and a lot of the plain 8 1/2" X 11" sheets that I print most of my labels on because I use a lot of different irregular size labels on a variety of products. So I tend to wait for a sale to buy what I need once a year.

ETA: Waterproof labels are fantastic. To reuse personal containers like lotion pump bottles for my private stash, I run them through the dishwasher with the label on and they come out looking as good as new. So they're really good for the bath and shower.

And it's lovely!!! What kind of scent is Bamboo and Teak?

From the Voyageur web site: Our Bamboo and Teak Fragrance oil is rich and luxurious with hints of sandalwood, cedar wood, and musk rounded out by floral notes of sweet fruit. This scent is a wonderful unisex fragrance, popular with both men and women.

Setup my soap display in the living room as a test run for my show on Saturday. I bought (2) 5-tier metal racks (my soaps are shrink wrapped so it should be ok to display on metal), and a 3-tier basket for bubble scoops, so I wanted to make sure everything fit and looked good. I added a 4ft table to the setup, so I now have enough room for good signage, which I will work on this week. My "bargain bin" soaps will go into the old tray setup that I had been using for everything. It looks like a much cleaner and professional setup. I'm liking the 5-tier racks, even though they don't stack for transporting, so I may have to buy one more once I get fully stocked again. There will still be room on the 6ft table for it. This is making me super happy right now and takes a bit off Chris' to do list because he won't have to make displays for me. The tiered racks also work with my new labels and will go well with my "back to basics" plans.

I'm hoping to get masterbatching done tonight if I get out of my church meeting early enough. I'm feeling a bit itchy to get back to soap making, so that's a good thing :) I cleaned up the disaster that I had let my soap area become, and I will be going through some supplies for a destash. I bought a lot of things when I thought I would be making "frou-frou" soaps, and now that I realize that that is not my soapy heart's desire, I will need to get them out of the way. I think cleaning house will help me refocus on what I should be doing.

For lip balm tubes I buy 1.8 x 1.8" White Waterproof INKJET Label from Elements Bath & Body:
https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Labels/

What I like about Elements, other than the fact that they're in Colorado, is that I can buy labels by the single sheet or in multiples for a better price per sheet. The thing is, I only need a few of the 3" rounds, a few of some others, and a lot of the plain 8 1/2" X 11" sheets that I print most of my labels on because I use a lot of different irregular size labels on a variety of products. So I tend to wait for a sale to buy what I need once a year.

ETA: Waterproof labels are fantastic. To reuse personal containers like lotion pump bottles for my private stash, I run them through the dishwasher with the label on and they come out looking as good as new. So they're really good for the bath and shower.
They are a little cheaper than the same label on Labelsbythesheet https://tinyurl.com/ybx7q8y2 but their shipping is less than Elements

Setup my soap display in the living room as a test run for my show on Saturday. I bought (2) 5-tier metal racks (my soaps are shrink wrapped so it should be ok to display on metal), and a 3-tier basket for bubble scoops, so I wanted to make sure everything fit and looked good. I added a 4ft table to the setup, so I now have enough room for good signage, which I will work on this week. My "bargain bin" soaps will go into the old tray setup that I had been using for everything. It looks like a much cleaner and professional setup. I'm liking the 5-tier racks, even though they don't stack for transporting, so I may have to buy one more once I get fully stocked again. There will still be room on the 6ft table for it. This is making me super happy right now and takes a bit off Chris' to do list because he won't have to make displays for me. The tiered racks also work with my new labels and will go well with my "back to basics" plans.

I'm hoping to get masterbatching done tonight if I get out of my church meeting early enough. I'm feeling a bit itchy to get back to soap making, so that's a good thing :) I cleaned up the disaster that I had let my soap area become, and I will be going through some supplies for a destash. I bought a lot of things when I thought I would be making "frou-frou" soaps, and now that I realize that that is not my soapy heart's desire, I will need to get them out of the way. I think cleaning house will help me refocus on what I should be doing.
Hopefully you will post pics of your setup !
Pacing Cat.gif

I am on a mold making roll. Complete madness. They will soon take over the craft room. Also re organizing the soap room getting it ready to soap for when the lard rendering is done. Pics of molds, some are still a work in progress.
Really cool

Back