What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 12, 2018 #6921

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

For lip balm tubes I buy 1.8 x 1.8" White Waterproof INKJET Label from Elements Bath & Body:
    https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Labels/

What I like about Elements, other than the fact that they're in Colorado, is that I can buy labels by the single sheet or in multiples for a better price per sheet. The thing is, I only need a few of the 3" rounds, a few of some others, and a lot of the plain 8 1/2" X 11" sheets that I print most of my labels on because I use a lot of different irregular size labels on a variety of products. So I tend to wait for a sale to buy what I need once a year.

ETA: Waterproof labels are fantastic. To reuse personal containers like lotion pump bottles for my private stash, I run them through the dishwasher with the label on and they come out looking as good as new. So they're really good for the bath and shower.

Sandra@SS and earlene like this.
  2. Mar 12, 2018 #6922

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Granddaughter & I made soap today, phase one of our 'Yellow Submarine' process after she shared her design concept. Being Sunday & day off for Dad, both parents showed great interest and leant a hand in the beginnings of vidoetaping the process.

SunRiseArts and Zany_in_CO like this.
  3. Mar 12, 2018 #6923

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

That is SO cool! :cool: Waiting patiently to see pics!
    Pacing Cat.gif

4. Mar 12, 2018 #6924

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

From the Voyageur web site: Our Bamboo and Teak Fragrance oil is rich and luxurious with hints of sandalwood, cedar wood, and musk rounded out by floral notes of sweet fruit. This scent is a wonderful unisex fragrance, popular with both men and women.

Zany_in_CO and lenarenee like this.
  5. Mar 12, 2018 #6925

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Easter egg soaping ... using up some soap dough :)

6. Mar 12, 2018 #6926

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Setup my soap display in the living room as a test run for my show on Saturday. I bought (2) 5-tier metal racks (my soaps are shrink wrapped so it should be ok to display on metal), and a 3-tier basket for bubble scoops, so I wanted to make sure everything fit and looked good. I added a 4ft table to the setup, so I now have enough room for good signage, which I will work on this week. My "bargain bin" soaps will go into the old tray setup that I had been using for everything. It looks like a much cleaner and professional setup. I'm liking the 5-tier racks, even though they don't stack for transporting, so I may have to buy one more once I get fully stocked again. There will still be room on the 6ft table for it. This is making me super happy right now and takes a bit off Chris' to do list because he won't have to make displays for me. The tiered racks also work with my new labels and will go well with my "back to basics" plans.

I'm hoping to get masterbatching done tonight if I get out of my church meeting early enough. I'm feeling a bit itchy to get back to soap making, so that's a good thing :) I cleaned up the disaster that I had let my soap area become, and I will be going through some supplies for a destash. I bought a lot of things when I thought I would be making "frou-frou" soaps, and now that I realize that that is not my soapy heart's desire, I will need to get them out of the way. I think cleaning house will help me refocus on what I should be doing.

7. Mar 12, 2018 #6927

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

They are a little cheaper than the same label on Labelsbythesheet https://tinyurl.com/ybx7q8y2 but their shipping is less than Elements

8. Mar 12, 2018 #6928

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Hopefully you will post pics of your setup !
    Pacing Cat.gif

amd likes this.
  9. Mar 12, 2018 #6929

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Will do! I have to take some pictures for shows that I'm applying for anyways :)

Sandra@SS likes this.
  10. Mar 12, 2018 #6930

isha

isha

isha

Really cool

Serene likes this.
  11. Mar 12, 2018 #6931

ItsForrest

ItsForrest

ItsForrest

Took a few pictures of my curing stash of soaps.
    Piles of soap 1.JPG

In front is the loaf I poured yesterday and cut today. It's a 3-color in-the-pot swirl using three kinds of clay and sweet pea fragrance from WP. In the back we have Pine tar, Coffee, unscented shea butter, and oatmeal porter.
    Since it's been a month now I tried the shea butter this morning and am pretty pleased with it. It should be even better with a bit longer cure.

12. Mar 13, 2018 #6932

Odinrescue

Odinrescue

Odinrescue

I like to clean my utensils utensils straight away I use old tea towels wipe as much soap off as I can put them in a bucket and wash them next day , then just clean everything else .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  13. Mar 13, 2018 #6933

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

How about a pic.gif

ETA: Oops! Sorry. Didn't see Carolyn's post. No pressure tho... :D

amd likes this.
  14. Mar 13, 2018 #6934

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

Many will leave their soaping stuff for a few days to let the soap saponify and become soap then wash. I wash as I go due to not having anywhere to keep it. I wipe out as much as I can then wash in hot soapy water.

15. Mar 13, 2018 #6935

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I will get pics of my setup taken tonight! (Last night was an interview with a pastoral candidate, so I left work at 4 and went straight to church, got home at 9:30 and was zonked.) On my other soapy things list was planning out the soaps I need to make in the next week or two with the 36lbs of oil that I will hopefully get to masterbatch tonight.

As for cleaning, I do the same as Shunt: wipe everything out and then wash with Dawn dish soap. I have a tote in my soap area that I put my dirty dishes in, and have several of the same dishes so I can usually make 3 batches before I have to do dishes. I also use old sheets cut into rags for wiping out. I keep those in box until the box is full and then throw in the washer with about 1/4 the amount of detergent normally used. I figure the detergent helps pull out some of the oil left on rags, but I don't need to use a lot because many of the rags are already soap. I do occasionally have to throw out a rag because it has become so saturated with oil that it is waterproof.

shunt2011 likes this.
  16. Mar 13, 2018 #6936

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Supporting Member

Soapy thing 1:

I cut a small batch of soap (1000 grams) to re-test an older fragrance from Nurture that they have discontinued a long time ago. I never liked it, and that is not often I can say that, as I haven`t ordered anything from Nurture that I didn`t like. Before this one, that is.
    This one was Blue Cotton Candy.

I have tested it before of course, 2 years ago, at 5%, and it was so weak and.. non descriptive, kind of meh. Which is why I put it in the back of the supplycabinet.

This time I used 6%, trying to make it work somehow. But nope, still so meh. Luckily not much left, this will not be used again, not even as a blender, it is just too... well I am not going to repeat myself, lol.

On the positive side though, this soap will cure into a murky, dark and muddled black/green/blue/brown/sauce colored piece of soap.

So at least I have that going for me! Uhm... o_O

Soapy thing 2:

I have been sniffing the Vanilla Cream & Anise soaps THREE times today.

Seriously, what`s WRONG with me!!?:confused: :oops:

dibbles and amd like this.
  17. Mar 14, 2018 #6937

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

20180313_175421.jpg This is just the 6ft table. My 4 ft table to the left will have my pamphlets, newsletter signup, business cards, and then my bargain soap bin, I haven't set that up. I have some tweaking to do with the material in the baskets and signage. My daughter and I played store tonight and I like the setup.

I also got masterbatching done - so much happy.

Sandra@SS, scard, Serene and 9 others like this.
  18. Mar 14, 2018 #6938

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Spring Break trip at our favorite beach vacation spot, with Yellow Submarine soapmaking project in tow. Granddaughter & I drove to Mobile, had dinner & retired to our hotel to carve submarine halves. She worked on the bottom half while I carved the top half. After a couple of hours when her hands started cramping, we cleaned up & finished for the night. Tomorrow we continue our scenic drive along the Gulf and will check into our resort at the beach. This is her first 'Spring Break' in Florida away from her parents experience, so it should be quite fun for her. Even with Grandma as chaperone. Mostly, it will be walks on the beach, a bit of sunbathing and artistic soapmaking.

Sandra@SS, amd, dibbles and 2 others like this.
  19. Mar 14, 2018 #6939

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

I love that. Nice job! Where did you find those great shelves? Those are perfect.

amd likes this.
  20. Mar 14, 2018 #6940

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Supporting Member

Mmmm, they look good enough to eat! Great job:)

(ok, I think I have to go and make dinner, I see food in everything right now, sorry! :D)

That is just lovely set-up. It`s neat, tidy and very pretty :nodding:

amd and ItsForrest like this.