What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I washed with soap. I have not made soap since January. I keep telling myself I will do it this weekend. But I don't. I feel like a slug. I have no interest in making soap, whatsoever. However, I think about it. A lot. I've been knitting a bit. I finished a lace shawl, started another and ripped it out. I've discovered I hate knitting from charts, so I'm converting my 6-chart pattern to a written one. I have one chart left. I've done about 750 rows and have another 100 or so to convert. Then I can actually knit the thing!! I've been doing a lot of reading. I need to get out of my funk.

Artemis, I want the creamy look and feel of a coconut addition to my soap as well as the fragrance. How to achieve that or am I wasting my time with that one do you think?

You will have to buy a fragrance oil, as Earlene says. There is at least one thread devoted to coconut fragrance oils in the Fragrance Oil section of the forum. Here is one: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=52323

Thank you artemis. I have had one coconut fragrance that was disappointing and now have ordered another one from a different supplier so will try that out next.

I am looking to use tinned coconut milk and I am wondering if it is ok to use it as all the ones I have seen in the supermarkets here in the uk seem to have thickeners and maybe other stuff added?

Anyone used it successfully in cold process soap please?

The soapy things I have done so far today are:
Unmold my rainforest fragrance soap (smells wonderful)
Unmold my lemongrass and coconut soap which just smells of lemongrass and has mustard seeds in it for exfoliation
Ordered more oils, fragrances and colours and emailed a safety assessment company with a basic recipe.

Look forward to making some more soap samples today with lavender EO and and patchouli FO.

The unsoapy things I have done are: 500mtr swim and 17k cycle, answer emails, wish someone a happy birthday and pay some bills...

I am looking to use tinned coconut milk and I am wondering if it is ok to use it as all the ones I have seen in the supermarkets here in the uk seem to have thickeners and maybe other stuff added?

Anyone used it successfully in cold process soap please?

Check this thread:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=35961

If that didn`t answer your questions, make a new thread and post your question there, that way your query doesn`t get buried amongst the other posts in this thread, it grows so fast. I have some input, but it will just get lost in this thread.

It is good to make a separate thread for new questions if older threads from SMF does not cover your specific question (re. if additives/thickeners in the milk will cause problems).

Don`t bump the old threads up, just make a new thread (ooo, shiny!), then people will most likely pop in and help if they have answers and time: )

My simple avocado, neem and milk soap, I scented it with lemongrass and citronella. This is for my sister, she will going home and it's good for the mosquitoes and insects repellant. I add a 5% neem too. I colour it with spirulina. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1498115785.722704.jpg

My simple avocado, neem and milk soap, I scented it with lemongrass and citronella. This is for my sister, she will going home and it's good for the mosquitoes and insects repellant. I add a 5% neem too. I colour it with spirulina. View attachment 25023

I just want to touch those soaps.. I bet the avocado and milk feel incredible together in soap!

First time contributing to this thread- A week of soapy things!
Made my first soap on the weekend, cut it on Tuesday, hit up Goodwill for more equipment yesterday (scored a silicon muffin tin, and more stirring implements), and today i photographed soap.

A minor question for anyone inclined to answer:
When do I make pretty edges on the soap? I read that I can use a vegetable peeler to make mock mitered edges. I started playing when I took it out of the mold, which led to finger impressions where I was gripping the soap. I'm concerned about waiting too long and the soap cracking. Thanks in advance for advice!

IMG_3969.jpg

spiceandsoap - First of all, I love your picture; it makes me want to jump in the shower right now.
2nd - I would trim as soon as you can handle your soap.
3rd - I wear gloves when I handle my soap; I don't have problems with finger impressions

I haven't made soap in quite a while, couple months now. We have been trying to buy a house since October and that has taken over my life. I do plan to make some soaps this weekend as friends have been asking for some.

I also plan on finally posting my Vanilla test results. I think I've posted my winners but I need to do a whole spreadsheet on all the 30+ vanillas I tested. I'm sorry I haven't gotten my act together yet.

spiceandsoap - First of all, I love your picture; it makes me want to jump in the shower right now.
2nd - I would trim as soon as you can handle your soap.
3rd - I wear gloves when I handle my soap; I don't have problems with finger impressions

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably fiddle with them this weekend :)

I finally made soap again today. It's in the oven to encourage gel.

I haven't made any since June 10th, although I did cutting, trimming and whatnot in between. My husband was gone for a week working in Southern Illinois and I had originally thought how great it would be to be able to make soap on my timetable and not have to put everything away immediately so I could and all that stuff. But then I came up with the bright idea to transform my granddaughter's room into my soaping room, which would/will be a huge re-organization of furniture and all kinds of stuff in other rooms in the house as well. Being upstairs, it tends to be a very hot room in the summer and the nearby bathroom sink is not ideal for water access in large pitchers or bowls, so maybe it would not meet my desired goals anyway. But even if I decide it's too hot and not as convenient as desired, I still plan to do this major re-organization of the room to set it up more efficiently than my current curing and supply storage system.

But instead of making soap or re-organizing my soaping areas, I decided I need to do some deep cleaning downstairs first and forgot how much longer it takes me now that I am getting on in years to do such labor intensive cleaning. And all I managed to clean really deeply was the master bedroom and the master bathroom. But I also scrubbed the floor down on my hands and knees with a scrub brush and waxed the with hot melted wax. That takes me a lot more time than it did when I was in my 40's.

Anyway, if he goes back to Southern Illinois for 2 months, which he seems pretty sure he will, I can do the that project then and still won't have to worry about cleaning up at the end of each day before he comes home from work. I just won't allow myself to leave a mess out for other people to see when I'm in the middle of these kinds of projects.

That's what would be so great about having a dedicated soaping area away from the main part of the house. I'd be able to work until finished and close the door to go make dinner and not have to worry about anyone seeing in-progress projects. If I had access to running water in the basement and we didn't already have so much stuff down there, I'd probably like the coolness of the room my husband used to use as an office even better. He almost never goes down there anymore; maybe I should broach that subject at some point.

Latest posts

Back