What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

1. May 19, 2017 #5601

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

I'm supposed to be soaping tomorrow and ...

... it's not just raining down the east coast of Australia. It's a set of storms (major rain) coming in from two sides. Olive oil soaps go to goop with a storm front on the way ... and there's two! And I'm doing a demo ...

Did I mention I've found a really cool thing to do with olive oil soap (that gets all funny and goopy about setting in stormy conditions)? ...

It's a bit like wicking beds ... (for you gardener folk out there) ...

Still soaping ...

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    WeaversPort and Zany_in_CO like this.
  2. May 19, 2017 #5602

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity

That's gorgeous! You did a great job!

Zany_in_CO and Soapprentice like this.
  3. May 19, 2017 #5603

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity

Olive oil soap gets goopy? When you're mixing? That sounds both fascinating and appalling.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  4. May 19, 2017 #5604

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Yes, it is.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  5. May 19, 2017 #5605

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity

Oh please tell me you have pictures?? Or even video?

I'd love to see this incredible transformation!

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  6. May 19, 2017 #5606

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Soap gel on a spoon ... under one month old, so various testing/replication to be done yet.

(The rules of the "game" I set myself was, other than the lye itself, there are no things that are chemically processed). Most of the oils are cold-pressed and/or organic, with the exception of castor oil, which is BP grade (I would not like to get cold-pressed of this oil).

Attached Files:

7. May 19, 2017 #5607

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Checked soaps that are almost three years old (give or take a few weeks). I have at least one of each, some batches has two. But none of my soaps have developed dos to this day. But I don`t expect to never experience it, it`s probably around the corner, charging towards me as soon as I feel safe...o_O

I am also surprized that they have a faint smell of the fragrance still, as I used so little in the beginning.

The one that smells the strongest is a soap that is made from olive, coconut, castor and almond oil. I added Cedarwood and Geranium essential oil, and it still smells lovely, albeit much weaker than when I first made it. But the soap is FANTASTIC though. I sneezed and it started to bubble!

Ok, water from the tap may have been the reason... But I DID sneeze! (>.<)

Will check it again in 6 months next...

8. May 19, 2017 #5608

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity

That is so cool!! I'd like to follow your soap gel experiments. I have so many questions.

I wonder how long it will stay in gel form? Does it zap? What happens if it gets warmer/colder? Will the upcoming storm change its properties?

You can tell I'm fascinated...

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  9. May 20, 2017 #5609

VonnieDeak

VonnieDeak

VonnieDeak

Made soap for Rheumatoid Arthritis

Supposedly (tried it and it works great) lemongrass essential oil is great for arthritis so I made coconut oil superfatted 10 % with shea butter, castor oil and aloe vera gel into a soap and I am now waiting for it to set. Made my whole kitchen smell awesome!!!
    I am also waiting on an order of unscented organic shampoo/body wash base and conditioner base to mix with lemon verbena all natural fragrance oil from Bulk Apothecary. So I have two projects going.
    I couldn't help but try the aloe, castor, shea and coconut oil soap with lemongrass. I want to see if it helps my arthritis that seems to be crippling me with pain. The soap seems to be turning out really good in the molds. Here is the recipe just in case anyone wants it:

10 oz. coconut oil (92 degree)
    4 oz. castor oil
    2 oz. shea butter
    8 oz. aloe vera gel (chilled)
    2.34 oz. lye
    1 oz. lemongrass therapeutic essential oil (high amount to combat the arthritis)

Also is a great mosquito repellent.
    Can't wait to see how the bars turn out of the mold. Got to wait 24 hours, though.:bunny:

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  10. May 20, 2017 #5610

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Hi Vonnie, Quick question, the way I read this, you used Aloe Vera Gel to make the lye solution, yes?

11. May 20, 2017 #5611

Mighty Mama

Mighty Mama

Mighty Mama

Soaped up a storm this morning and then did some research on master batching oils and lye. Time to start getting more streamlined with my production as orders are picking up!

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  12. May 21, 2017 #5612

VonnieDeak

VonnieDeak

VonnieDeak

To Zany_in_CO

Yes, you can substitute Aloe Gel instead of the water to get a more conditioning soap. I added the castor, shea butter and aloe vera mixed with lye to cut down on the coconut oil's harshness when using so much. So far so good. They are curing perfectly and smelling wonderful!!!

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  13. May 26, 2017 #5613

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Today I removed the soap wafers from the freezer paper on the cookie sheet & placed them on one of my air-ventilation friendly drying trays and put them under a fan to encourage more drying. They're ready enough to use in the challenge soap, but the base can use a bit more drying time, too, so they're both under the fan.

Before that, I removed the very thin base from the slab mold and flipped it over so the top will become the bottom. I wasn't sure I was going to do that but went for it because I like the former top and the bottom looks like tie-dyed fabric without much design. Hubby said this morning that on first glance (the top) looked like Monet's Water Lilies. Well, at least until he next walked by the actual Monet's Water Lilies print that I have hanging on the wall. In any case, way better than a nondescript tie-dye shirt look.

I'll continue with the rest of the soap layers in a couple of hours or so since I want a bit more drying time for these two.

I also put in an order for NaOH. ED is having a free shipping offer and a 40% off sale right now, so I was able to save quite a lot on this order. Happy me.

I also used up all my masterbatched lye yesterday, so have to make some more.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  14. May 26, 2017 #5614

TheDragonGirl

TheDragonGirl

TheDragonGirl

[​IMG]

Made a large batch of liquid soap paste :D

toxikon, MySoapyHeart and Zany_in_CO like this.
  15. May 26, 2017 #5615

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Just found out that my scale is broken, so I can`t make soap untill I get a new one.

Great.

And I just got a new oil from Natures Garden too...and is smells soooo good, too!

Siiigh!

16. May 26, 2017 #5616

earlene

earlene

earlene

MySoapyHeart, I feel for you!

My scale has an AC adapter that sometimes acts up. I'll go to turn on my scale and it doesn't turn on. The first time this happened I thought my scale was broken. But then I thought I should at least try to plug it into another outlet and it worked. Then I plugged it back in at the original outlet & it worked. So now when that happens, I move the plug to another outlet & it works. I'm guessing I need to get a new AC adapter, but it keeps working this way, so I haven't done as yet.

But I do have to replace my smaller scale for the 0.01g measurements & so I am trying to choose between two tempting models right this very moment.

MySoapyHeart and Zany_in_CO like this.
  17. May 26, 2017 #5617

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

MySoapyHeart

Thanks!
    Mine is a simple one, but has been very trustworthy. It doesn`t have an adapter, just batteries that I changed just now. I set it on the bench, a completely level surface, and it fluctuates between 5 to13 grams up to 28 with nothing on it! It is like it is constantly weighing the air, lol.

I can`t seem to get a break, out computer is acting up too. But old things tend to make troubble, even if you take good care of them.

Good luck choosing models, I know after I started making soap I am even MORE picky about quality than I used to be.

After all, weighing lye vs. weighing minced meat... the outcome is very different if the scale ain`t up to par : P

earlene likes this.
  18. May 27, 2017 #5618

VonnieDeak

VonnieDeak

VonnieDeak

Aloe Vera/Shea Butter Soap again...

I loved the way my last batch turned out so I decided to make some more aloe vera/shea butter soaps. This time with sunflower oil and coconut oil with the aloe/shea and castor oil. I had bought a soap online that had sunflower in it and loved it so much thought I would use it in my soaps. The soap looks great and is curing as we speak. Need to make this more often. Oh! And the scent this time is lemon/grapefruit essential oil. LOVELY citrus is scenting my whole kitchen now! Anyway here is my recipe for the aloe vera/shea soap for anyone who wants to try it:

coconut oil 10 oz.
    sunflower oil 2 oz.
    castor oil 2 oz.
    shea butter 2 oz.
    aloe vera gel 6 oz.
    lye 2.15 oz.

You may want to cut the coconut oil in half and use olive in it's place if you have dry skin. I have super oily skin with very hard water so I can appreciate a large percentage of coconut in my soaps. I am so proud of myself for making this recipe because it makes a great soap that I had to share!!! Again I mix the aloe with the lye for the lye solution substituting aloe vera gel for water (just in case you missed the thread between Zany_in_CO and myself). I think I found a new favorite soap recipe with the aloe and shea butter along with coconut.:bathtub:

Zany_in_CO, dibbles and Millie like this.
  19. May 27, 2017 #5619

earlene

earlene

earlene

Unmolded & cut soap. Took some photos, then had to put the camera on the charger before I can finish with the photos.

Cleaned up some soaping bowls, etc. (left from yesterday's soaping session.) Added yesterday's soaping towels, apron, etc. to a load of laundry.

Trying to decide if I want to make more soap this weekend and what recipe to use. Thinking of repeating some recipes I had fun with last year.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  20. May 28, 2017 #5620

Sharryn

Sharryn

Sharryn

Today I made my 2nd goats milk soap, fragranced with Gardenia. I worked fast and was able to do a 2-color ITP swirl of yellow and green. Can't wait to cut that puppy tomorrow! The worry is that the batter started to become lumpy at the bottom of the pot, but it poured okay. Photos tomorrow!

earlene, Zany_in_CO and Millie like this.