What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got crafty today but it wasn't all soap. Made a large batch of unscented tallow soap for my cousins that hunt. Also had my first attempt at candle making and used the leftover wax for melts. Last but not least are the sparkly cinnamon-pumpkin bubble bars.

1478986375224.jpg

1478986383728.jpg

1478986391939.jpg

1478986407757.jpg

I finally was able to make the time to use the scent blend I made last weekend. I'll pay for it in questions from the paternal parental unit about why t-shirts aren't printed, but at least there is soap!

One small batch today - Lard blend, light fragrance (fig from BB) with eo hints of lav, ginger, & citrus. TD and very light indigo in the pot swirl, into a Pringles can. Ohhhh it's more fancy than the no color batch back in February. Plus I switched the rice bran to grape seed this time.
:) all for the DH.

I became a scent blender for the first time!! NG fresh cut roses, with a touch of NG balsam. Wonder if I'm brave enough to put it in soap - or will I stick with straight rose fo? (intended the balsam for a candle)

Been pouting all week as I looked for soapy inspiration for a design with ball embeds and snowflakes (new molds!) Felt sorry for myself when Googling all of the beautiful winter soaps that I didn't invent myself. Saw Irish Lass's winter soap and loved it, was envious and made myself kick my own butt to get creative. Sat down with all the icy blue micas I had and made melt and pour samples. Chose MO blue bling and was very happy with it. Next step: figure out the rest of the design for the cp part! Using Winder Wonderland from Nurture, but thinking I want to call it Silent Night.

Those pumpkin bubble bars are so adorable!

Thanks dibbles! I've been having a lot of fun making them and the bonus is you only have to wait a few days to use them. My cousin in VA is coming down with his wife and kids for Thanksgiving so I'm saving at least 2 of the pumpkins for the kiddos. Hopefully they won't mind being guinea pigs :)

Coconut soap

gave in 100 percent coconut soap with 20 percent superfat and 1 oz of FO with sugar added to the water...

waiting to see how it behave on my skin

went to the local farmer's market and chatted up the soap maker's there...I have this passion for reading other soaper's labels...I always learn something but I did notice no weight on any of one soaper's product..first ingredient was soy...if indeed that is the ingredient of highest percentage I'd say her profit margin had to be high...not that I noticed a price on them but with that being the primary ingredient I really didn't have an interest in buying one...think 1.5 inch square...probably a 5 dollar purchase. Goat milk product if that helps..all essential oils but for me, regardless of the "naturalness" of her fragrance , I'd prefer some better quality soaping oils and spend the money there and scent with a fragrance oil...for a wash off product I'm comfortable with some chemical from a lab as opposed to some chemical produced by a plant.......the other soaper does beautiful things with melt and pour and slices you off a hunk from the loaf...makes me wonder if she includes an ingredient list with them upon purchase...venture to say no...no shrink-wrap no fancy packaging...different strokes for different folks...

went to the local farmer's market and chatted up the soap maker's there...I have this passion for reading other soaper's labels...I always learn something but I did notice no weight on any of one soaper's product..first ingredient was soy...different strokes for different folks...

I just did a trip around Alaska, Canada (west coast) and the US and found that of the many, many handmade soaps on offer in stores that very few had ingredients lists - which is why I didn't buy any. The only ones I liked that had ingredients listed were around the $10-$12 US or CAD level!

Most had weights. Often they were packaged so you couldn't see the product but ALL had very strong scents. I came back thinking I had to up my fragrance. :)

"Often they were packaged so you couldn't see the product but ALL had very strong scents. I came back thinking I had to up my fragrance. "
One of my longest lasting pet peeves....how to package and display the soap in all its glory visually...I've seen some over the top packaging , vertically oriented beautiful boxes for 10 smackaroos at a fancy gift shop...I should go back and see if there's an ingredient list on that packaging...suffice to say, I KNOW that soap at the bottom of that box is a mere fraction of what it cost to put this soap+package together...the local shop that leans towards healthy lifestyles sold me a wrapped soap that she extolled early in my "career"...came home to find he used a kitty litter tray for the mold...I got the corner...with some twigs and berries embedded on the top of the soap...we worry about himalayan sea salt? LOL

Wanted to make a classy-ish B&W swirl - but not thinking used lemon grass in the scent blend ... Now I have a lovely Halloween soap ... Smells great tho (lavender cedarwood lemongrass). ImageUploadedBySoap Making1479084948.957687.jpgits not quite as yellow in the pic but still yellow.

No soap made in a few days. Was hospitalized late Friday afternoon. Came home today to discover the fiancee had rearranged my bedroom so that I could have some soapy space in the other half. I love it! Can't wait to feel better and make soap.

1479088347509.jpg

CocoNUT soap 100 percent

okay so I unmold my soap very quick set 5 hours..
no zapp .. interestingly .. I just had to do it i bathe with it.. did not feel dry or
at all.. I did add sugar and silk to this soap with a sprinkle of rosemary seeds in it.. I must say it feels great for being day one.. I can only image in 6 weeks.. or a 6 months :) will wrap this in red ribbon :) since it's white

I photographed my SMF Color Whole Challenge soaps, then put them in a Coca Cola crate and put that in a spot out of sight but with good air flow. Sure hope I don't forget them when we leave here in a week!

I was going to go to Whole Foods to look for Spectrum Palm Oil on my way to the airport to pick up my husband, but I had doubts that I had turned off the stove. So after going back (I had turned off the stove, btw) I didn't have enough time. I'll have to find another day for that.

Latest posts

Back