What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planned on making a white soap with black swirls when I came to almost finishing and realizing I had forgotten to put my fo in. In my haste I poured it all back into the bowl and added the fo stirring it to incorporate. Now I have a lovely gray soap that looks like cement

I did a rebatch last year that looks like cement, they were shaped a little curved at the top so I called them tombstones this year and gave them away as Halloween soaps.

just cut my masculine scented deer tallow soap. I did a layer of rebatched soap near the middle for something a little different....tried a spoon swirl on the top. My hopes were dashed this morning when I cut the soap. The fo. is absent and the spoon swirl is, well, nothing to write home about. I did take the time to write a review on the fragrance oil and alert people to not use in cp soap.The good thing is I love this soap. I get the fat from the local butcher who processes deer and elk from a deer farm in town. As long as I keep him and his wife in soap, I'm good to go...and as I learned here, just because this soap didn't come out as intended, I'm optimistic ANY scent is absent and I can call it unscented....

Just finished a batch scented with dragon blood FO. Attempted a teardrop, but I'm not sure it will be anything more than a blob of red in the middle. I over-mixed. :oops:

One more batch to make, hopefully on Friday, and all the Christmas gift soaps will be done.

Melted and mixed my oils for a batch of an "experimental" design I have on my mind...:twisted: Will make it tonight if I have time and energy, still undecided on the scent...I will post pics!

Made my last Christmas soap and now trying to figure out color combos for Amy Warden's next soap challenge. So many colors to work with its a little overwhelming!

This morning I trimmed several soaps made this roadtrip. I used my son's mandoline and although it can take too much off if I am not careful to apply gentle pressure, it worked pretty well. Some of these were challenge rejects; some were vinegar in place of water test soaps; some dual lye soaps; some 'old & new' soaps (re-batches that can't really be called confetti soap.)

My favorite from the group is a 'old & new' with avocado puree. The mix of a couple of green micas I had with me (I brought a small sampling of micas when I packed) produced a pretty pale green. Almost celery green, which looks nice with the bits of pale blues mixed in, but I expect it will probably darken a bit.

I still have about another 20 or soaps left to trim, then I'll have to do more re-batching. However I need to go to TSC first as I only have a tiny bit of NaOH left. Maybe I'll that tomorrow as I have a growing shopping list anyway.

Still making Christmas soaps. Today's was Nurture's Avobath (omgosh! Need to order the huge size of that one!) Did my first hanger swirl ever so I'm eager to see it cut.

Been trimming and labeling 10 batches of bar soap, and six scents of liquid soap. Have a new commercial account that I'm meeting with tomorrow.

Also met with my new partner for craft shows. Our first is Nov. 18 and 19.

I trimmed a few bars of soap today. The new Dupuytren's nodule in the web between my thumb & index finger is interfering with how I hold the soap while running it over the mandoline. New nodules are always painful, and this is in a pretty bad spot, but if it's like the others on my palms, the pain will diminish. It only appeared 2 or 3 days ago and it's the only new one I've had grow in close to a year.

Last edited:
eeee - pretty excited.
This morning I finally made a batch of soap that I've really been wanting to make for a long time...
Castile at a 2% super-fat.

In about 6 months I will have 11 bars of lovely Castile soap.

Now, onto the soap calculator for another batch of Neem oil soap.
I'm going to make some changes from the January batch.
-- edit--
I did the Neem soap [shampoo bar] waiting for DH to finish up on the computer. It is amazing what a NEW bottle of fresh Neem smells like versus the old bottle from my first batch back in January. This one doesn't tickle the nose like back in January. My essential oil blend really thickened up the batch to almost mash potato consistency. here are my essential oils: Neem, grapefruit, clove, anise, rosemary, sage. It actually smells somewhat benign considering it is Neem.

Last edited:
For what feels like the first time in a long time, I made two batches of soap this weekend. Yesterday, I made a batch of Java Jumpstart (Coffee) soap. This morning, I made a batch of Mango Butter Coconut Milk Calendula soap. My spare bedroom smells amazing!

DSCN0315.JPG

DSCN0316.JPG

I made 2 batches of soap today. The first was just a plain jane loaf with some GM powder, no scent and no color. This is the last batch I needed to make for a request a friend made to make party favors for her niece's baby shower. I am going to call it Birthday suit.

The second I did on Facebook live! It was a lot of fun, and Saponista came to chat with me. Was trying the floating funnel pour for the first time. It was interesting, but things got a bit too thick to do the 'funnel' effect with the squeeze bottles. I think it will look fine, and it is orange patch, so I know it smells great. :)

The live portion was so much fun. I loved chatting with people and it made the tedious work of squirting all those little dots so much better.

I molded soap for the first time. I made a polymer-type cane that is supposed to look like peppermint candies when it is cut into slices. It did not, ahem, come out exactly as I wanted. Several victims, er, family members did identify it as "maybe ummm a candy" when I followed them around and badgered them for opinions. So I'll call it a success!

I trimmed a few bars of soap today. The new Duypetren's nodule in the web between my thumb & index finger is interfering with how I hold the soap while running it over the mandoline. New nodules are always painful, and this is in a pretty bad spot, but if it's like the others on my palms, the pain will diminish. It only appeared 2 or 3 days ago and it's the only new one I've had grow in close to a year.

Ouch, that sounds painful. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Back