What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I mailed off a few batches and am now planning this weekend's soaping activities... I know batch bombs and pine tar are on the menu along with a challenge attempt. I'm thinking of going Spanish Fly from MO for the attempt - it smells fantastic oob.

I am so over myself! :evil: I did it again ... found my fragrance sitting untouched AFTER having executed a lovely swirl, this time a sea-inspired ITP ... I nearly cried. I ended up adding it (my favourite EO blend no less) to the pot and stirring through, completely destroying my swirl. I did add the last few dollops of coloured batter hoping I might have at least a little swirl in there somewhere.

I'm really tired of all these plain green soaps containing various scents I have curing all over the place :(

Still, after the above ^ episode, I got on a roll and made a Bastille Buttermilk, a pretty "Pink Champagne", a beer one using Oatmeal Stout FO, and a zigzag freehand swirled eucalyptus which I am afraid I may have left an oil out of!! Grrrr, I hope not. I guess I'll find out when I lick it! :think:

Here's the bastille and the pink champagne:

2016-04-08 005.jpg

2016-04-08 013.jpg

Last edited:
I am so over myself! :evil: I did it again ... found my fragrance sitting untouched AFTER having executed a lovely swirl, this time a sea-inspired ITP ... :(

That has happened to me in the beginning to. So I started to add it to my oils so I wouldn`t forget it. That has helped a lot.

And I also found it to be helpfull when I comes to really unbehaving fragrances that speeds up trace. I have more time to work when I add them to the oils before the lye.

That has happened to me in the beginning to. So I started to add it to my oils so I wouldn`t forget it. That has helped a lot.

And I also found it to be helpfull when I comes to really unbehaving fragrances that speeds up trace. I have more time to work when I add them to the oils before the lye.

I do the same, I actually add it as one of my oils. The last liquid one that goes in the pot. I don't tare my scale after every oil so I keep a running total. I know what my weight should be after all my liquid oils. if it doesn't match up, I double check everything to figure out what I missed.

Well after a week of high stress at work and sleeping a crazy amount as a result... Yesterday I forced myself to stay awake long enough to masterbatch 12 lbs of oil and the equivalent lye (first time doing that). I was tucked safely into bed at 8:30. Today I photographed some soap, and took a stab at the Petra swirl. Omg it was all sixes and sevens. Guess I'll be watching the video and having another go at it later today. Good thing I have a number of soaps to make for the store!

Hurtling toward Jackson Missippi with my wife and 3 of my sons on a road trip to watch my daughter perform in a Spring concert at collage tonight. Making good use of the brief moments of quiet time to formulate and perfect one the 3872 different things I think I can do next weekend with my WSP order that is due for delivery on Tuesday.

My mum is visiting for the weekend so today I taught her how to make soap!! The FO she chose moved faster than I recalled though so we didn't get to do the drop hanger swirl I had in mind so it became a plop hanger. Who knows what we'll find when we cut tomorrow morning

I do the same, I actually add it as one of my oils. The last liquid one that goes in the pot. I don't tare my scale after every oil so I keep a running total. I know what my weight should be after all my liquid oils. if it doesn't match up, I double check everything to figure out what I missed.

I might have to start doing that with some recipes.
Some, though, I add after I split the batter because I might want a discolouring fragrance in only part of the soap and a non-discolouring in a light colour that I don't want to discolour, if that makes sense.

Or stick a sign on all my moulds that's right in my face - HAVE YOU ADDED YOUR FRAGRANCE!

Today I was on the hunt for shoes. Off to TJMaxx for the perfect pair of strappy sandals for work. I didn't really "love" any of the shoes, but there was one pair that needed a bit more thought, so I went wandering about the store to think about it. I came home with some awesome pouring bowls for mixing color batches, some great silicone spatulas and really cute Hello Kitty silicone molds. Looks like I'll still be wearing the same shoes to work on Monday, but will have a happy smile on my face. :)

Some, though, I add after I split the batter because I might want a discolouring fragrance in only part of the soap and a non-discolouring in a light colour that I don't want to discolour, if that makes sense.

Or stick a sign on all my moulds that's right in my face - HAVE YOU ADDED YOUR FRAGRANCE!

It's been suggested before (I can't remember who so I can't credit) to put the fo in the mold so you can't pour without adding your fo. Maybe something like that would help. If you're splitting into colors for an itp maybe set the fo bottle in the cup you're separating into so you remember to add it before separating. Or if using two fo.

Cut the soap I made with my mum. It was supposed to be a drop hanger but the FO had other plans

Last edited:
Love it Sonya!

I cut yesterday's attempted petra swirl.... And oil oozed all over. I thought I had everything emulsed together but definitely not at trace... Turns out I didn't have it emulsed either! That's what I get for rushing. Binned the whole lot and will redo that attempt today.

Ah, I haven't mixed fragrances yet. With my luck, I'll end up with something that smells like cat litterbox lol

I made some honey scented soap, with ground apricot seeds to add scrubbiness for a gardener's soap, made in honeybee molds, and some without scrubbies, too. A couple of drops of FO were sliding down the side of the bottle, so I quick wiped it on my shirt, and now I smell so gooooood! I also got klutzy while pouring into my Crystal Lite mold and got soap batter all over the counter. Grrrr...there went half of a soap wasted. Oh well, I'll keep the short one for myself. I haven't used this FO in a while and I had forgotten how much I loved it. It comes from the old Southern Soapers, which became Soapalooza, but Honey Bee from Soapalooza was different, although they swore it was not. That original was amazing...I'm not going to wash this shirt until I absolutely have to! :D

Latest posts

Back