What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done this project myself. If you get some white spirits ( I think it would be called mineral turpentine in the US)it can help to thin out the silicone so its easier to pour. If you have found anything that says to add corn starch to it DONT. it makes it brittle and the mould just breaks really quickly. Also if you use a paintbrush to first brush on a thin coat to your item and then pour the rest over it it makes it less likely that you wont get air bubbles.

Anyhoo HTH with your project. Have fun :D

I DID see a video with cornstarch. I was going to pick some up. Someone (dixie?) posted a link for a video where they use dish washing liquid to work with the silicone, but it's still a mass. That just makes it easier to work with as a dough like consistency. The cornstarch looked less messy. Thanks for the info!! I'll go back to Ace and see if they have that stuff. I think it's called mineral spirits, but I'm not 100% sure. (I remember my mom using "mineral spirits" when I was a kid to remove oil-based paint. I don't think there was latex back then. Or if there was, it was too expensive for us.)

I'll post the molds if they turn out OK. I'll probably post the molds if they're a fail so we can all laugh at them.

That's fabMySoapyHeart! Always lovely to get great feedback!

Nearly midnight? Where are, somewhere in Europe I assume? Just it's nearly 11pm here in the UK so figured you're only one time zone away

Hi sonya, sorry I didn`t see this untill now!

Yes, I live in Norway, so you are spot on, only an hour away on the clock from you guys! : D

I have done this project myself. If you get some white spirits ( I think it would be called mineral turpentine in the US)it can help to thin out the silicone so its easier to pour. If you have found anything that says to add corn starch to it DONT. it makes it brittle and the mould just breaks really quickly. Also if you use a paintbrush to first brush on a thin coat to your item and then pour the rest over it it makes it less likely that you wont get air bubbles.

Anyhoo HTH with your project. Have fun :D

I did my molds different than that, but I think your method sounds so much better. Are you putting silicone in a container and putting just enough spirit in it to make it pourable? Do you let the thin painted layer dry before you pour? Thanks

Hi sonya, sorry I didn`t see this untill now!

Yes, I live in Norway, so you are spot on, only an hour away on the clock from you guys! : D

Never visited Norway despite being the accountant for our Norway company. My last few jobs have been doing the accounts for Norwegian companies. Google translate is my best friend!!

Never visited Norway despite being the accountant for our Norway company. My last few jobs have been doing the accounts for Norwegian companies. Google translate is my best friend!!

Yes, I totally understand your google-fu skills are essential for you then! Norwegian takes some getting used to.

If there is anything I can help you with re. Norwegian language, or general things you wonder about that can helpfull to you in your job, let me know : )
Ok?

Yes, I totally understand your google-fu skills are essential for you then! Norwegian takes some getting used to.

If there is anything I can help you with re. Norwegian language, or general things you wonder about that can helpfull to you in your job, let me know : )
Ok?

You're definitely going to regret saying that! And had you said it yesterday you'd be translating my 2014 tax return!!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1460727626.748769.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1460727636.152540.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1460727646.257474.jpg.

Second batch of soap!! I was aiming to do a tear drop but my soap traced so much faster than I anticipated. I learned SO much from this batch. The addiction is real!!!

I gave away the majority of the soap I made last year. Some of it was seriously ugly, too. OK, most of it was seriously ugly!! However, I needed to get rid of the soap lying around the house so I would have room to store my new experiments. I've actually got a bar of many, but not all, of the soaps I've given away crowding the shower. It is amazing how a long cure can turn a so-so soap into something very nice. I've also discovered that I've used clays, diamataceous earth, and a few other things, in my year of soaping that I completely forgot about. Yes, it has been a year since my first batch. In some ways it seems like it has been much longer than that and in other ways it seems like it can't possibly have been a year already. I have definitely come a long way and have so much more to learn. I have barely begun my journey.

I did my molds different than that, but I think your method sounds so much better. Are you putting silicone in a container and putting just enough spirit in it to make it pourable? Do you let the thin painted layer dry before you pour? Thanks

Maybe a few minutes between brushing on the layer and pouring. And yeah I squeezed the tube of silicone into a small bucket and then added only enough spirit to make it pourable.

I made my first confetti soap (using grated failed soaps) and cut it using (for the first time) my brand new birthday present bud multi wire cutter.

Exceptional, beautifully made piece of equipment. I am still learning how to use it and think I can get rid of some of the marks on the face of the soap by not stopping mid way through the cut. Compared to the hacked pieces of soap that were all different thicknesses I had cut previously with a mitre box I find them very attractive. :)

Regarding the confetti I think I will try a courser grate next time.

IMG_2575.JPG

Last edited:
I made my first confetti soap (using grated failed soaps) and cut it using (for the first time) my brand new birthday present bud multi wire cutter.

Exceptional, beautifully made piece of equipment. I am still learning how to use it and think I can get rid of some of the marks on the face of the soap by not stopping mid way through the cut. Compared to the hacked pieces of soap that were all different thicknesses I had cut previously with a mitre box I find them very attractive. :)

Regarding the confetti I think I will try a courser grate next time.

PJ it's very pretty soap. I like the balance of solid and the confetti. It is very nice to have a cutter isn't it? I just got one also and I love it.

Not soap related but.. I passed my latest exam!!!

Amazing!!

Another batch under my belt. Natural looking in the pot swirl scented with sexy sandalwood from candora. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1461013531.102347.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1461013543.005335.jpg
It looks so different in different light. I need to practice soap photography

I got some more little pockets od titanium dioxide. I need to get a mini blender asap!

I ordered 10 FO samples from Peak and four 3-cavity calla lily molds. Since I am so bad at cutting soaps, I thought I'd try pouring them, instead. These molds are supposed to make 4.75 oz bars. I also ordered 13 FO samples and 5 liquid neons from NG. With names like Bite Me, The Perfect Man, Fresh Brewed Coffee and Money, how could I not get FOs from NG? I also got Pooch Smooch. I got so excited when I saw the name. I was hoping it was puppy breath FO. Not so much. I cut my maroon pink grapefruit soap when I got home today. It isn't quite as maroon as it was when I poured it Saturday and is more of a deep pink. So it wasn't a total waste. I tried to unmold the Limes with Orange Petra Swirl from yesterday, but it is too soft. That will have to wait until tomorrow. Tonight, I'll measure everything I need to make a rosemary-grapefruit EO batch for a friend then put it all together tomorrow. The original soap was rosemary-lemon, but since I'm out of lemon EO, I'm going to try it with grapefruit. If it smells bad, I'll keep that and make her another one after I get lemon EO.

Last edited:
Amazing!!

Another batch under my belt. Natural looking in the pot swirl scented with sexy sandalwood from candora. View attachment 20605View attachment 20606
It looks so different in different light. I need to practice soap photography [emoji85]

I got some more little pockets od titanium dioxide. I need to get a mini blender asap!

Beautiful! If you mix the TD first thing and let it sit for a while it doesn't need a beater to mix it.

I ordered 10 FO samples from Peak and four 3-cavity calla lily molds. Since I am so bad at cutting soaps, I thought I'd try pouring them, instead. These molds are supposed to make 4375 oz bars. I also ordered 13 FO samples and 5 liquid neons from NG. With names like Bite Me, The Perfect Man, Fresh Brewed Coffee and Money, how could I not get FOs from NG? .

I'd be interested in your opinion of The Perfect Man.
I think is a bit cologne-y but I only used it the other day. It might have morphed to purple - something did in my soap. Am waiting to see if it cures out. Never happened before and I made 2 soaps with the same recipe the same day - one with TPM morphed the other didn't.

I make and sell a lot of The Perfect Man. It's very strong and I only use .5 ppo. It is a cologne smell for sure. Mine has never gone purple but it does go a peachy/pink color. I color half with cocoa powder and it usually cures to more beige. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1461058302.284508.jpg

I ordered 10 FO samples from Peak and four 3-cavity calla lily molds. Since I am so bad at cutting soaps, I thought I'd try pouring them, instead. These molds are supposed to make 4375 oz bars. I also ordered 13 FO samples and 5 liquid neons from NG. With names like Bite Me, The Perfect Man, Fresh Brewed Coffee and Money, how could I not get FOs from NG? I also got Pooch Smooch. I got so excited when I saw the name. I was hoping it was puppy breath FO. Not so much. I cut my maroon pink grapefruit soap when I got home today. It isn't quite as maroon as it was when I poured it Saturday and is more of a deep pink. So it wasn't a total waste. I tried to unmold the Limes with Orange Petra Swirl from yesterday, but it is too soft. That will have to wait until tomorrow. Tonight, I'll measure everything I need to make a rosemary-grapefruit EO batch for a friend then put it all together tomorrow. The original soap was rosemary-lemon, but since I'm out of lemon EO, I'm going to try it with grapefruit. If it smells bad, I'll keep that and make her another one after I get lemon EO.

You will love Bite me! It reminds me of the Fruit Stripe gum we used to get when we were kids.

Back