What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sheer case of soaping paranoia...after having an acceleration problem with my one nieces loaf...she wanted colors of a sunflower and I used BC's new sunflower FO...never again...so for my other niece I got paranoid because I have never combined rosemary EO with lemongrass and the exact opposite happened...batter too thin. That being said I'm okay with the both of them...they both reflect the personalities of both the girls...for sisters they are polar opposites and so are the soaps...but why is it every time I look at that bottom soap pic, I think of Game of Thrones?

009.jpg

004.jpg

I made my made master batches of lye/aloe juice and my oils today. First time I've done that instead of making the lye mix and melting the oils when I soap. Just got tired of the waiting to soap until the lye mix and oils were "ready".

You will like the convenience a lot. Just make sure to portion out your oils in case you have too many hard oils and butters in the mix.

This is my private nightmare regarding masterbatch lye. That I'll come home from work one night and find that the solution has found a hole and leaked all over something. Ugh. It gives me a nervous gut just thinking about it and the nightmare of finding a way to clean it up.

The same thing could happen with your solid lye. A hole in the container could let the beads go everywhere. There are risks with everything, but being afraid all the time keeps you trying really cool new things.

Except roller coasters. And clowns. It is ok be afraid of those. Haha.

The same thing could happen with your solid lye. A hole in the container could let the beads go everywhere. There are risks with everything, but being afraid all the time keeps you trying really cool new things.

Clowns are nice. See

free-hugs-clown.jpg

Made two batches of soap, but what is noteworthy is that it was my first time using master-batched lye.

O. M. Can I get a G? It makes it all so much simpler - no flaffing about with lye containers and then having lots of pots all caustic and stuff. Just measure out the 50% solution, add in the extra water and be done with it. I am a convert, ladies and gents. I will be annoyingly espousing the benefits of masterbatched lye like some kind of crazy Snake Oil salesman.

I agree with you Gent that masterbatched lye is very convenient but I am worried about the time it takes for the NaOH to be dissolved in equal weight of water. For me it took at least 15 minutes of continuous steering and I thought that it is enough time for the NaOH to react with CO2 to form soda ash...

As for something soapy. does trying to clean up CO from my carpet help? One of my drums had a hole in the bottom and with this hot weather it melted and escaped. I think I only lost a couple of kgs into the carpet but now I get to have the fun of trying to get it out. I think I got it all. We will see tomorrow after the cornflour dries and I can get in there with the vac and then the carpet shampooer. fingers crossed

I know a certain doggy who would be all too happy to assist me with a CO spill, lol.

The last major soapy thing I did was to test a new bath bar recipe made with harder oils to see if it unmolded more easily. It worked out pretty well.

20151002_205526.jpg

Before that I was busy getting ready for fall with shaving soap, bath soap and aftershaves.

Autumn Morning (coffee, dry leaves, lilies, bergamot)
20150926_231634~2.jpg 20150924_223651.jpg

And Pumpkin Spice
20150927_152720~2.jpg 20150924_223702.jpg

I was so stinkin' excited when I got up this morning because I could unmold and cut my secret feather challenge soap. It turned out okay! Today I plan to load up an online cart for payday. Mama needs more lye.

"...This is my private nightmare regarding masterbatch lye. That I'll come home from work one night and find that the solution has found a hole and leaked all over something. Ugh. It gives me a nervous gut just thinking about it and the nightmare of finding a way to clean it up. ..."

Gigi -- think about doing what they do in industry with hazardous chemicals. Chemical tanks are always put in a watertight basin or above-ground enclosed area so if a tank leaks, the leakage is contained within the watertight area.

If I masterbatched lye, I would absolutely find a liquid-tight plastic container large enough to hold the masterbatch container(s). I don't (yet, anyways) but I do store my bottles of lye flakes in a lye-resistant plastic tote.

Not quite ready to go

Printed out my revised recipe for the secret swirl challenge. Decided to change it a bit and re-set it for full water, since my recipe has 48% hard oils.(I'm chicken!). LOL

Then I got all my raw materials and tools out and will be ready to go after lunch. Right now I have to get to town for some grocery shopping.,

A sheer case of soaping paranoia...after having an acceleration problem with my one nieces loaf...she wanted colors of a sunflower and I used BC's new sunflower FO...never again...so for my other niece I got paranoid because I have never combined rosemary EO with lemongrass and the exact opposite happened...batter too thin. That being said I'm okay with the both of them...they both reflect the personalities of both the girls...for sisters they are polar opposites and so are the soaps...but why is it every time I look at that bottom soap pic, I think of Game of Thrones?

Because there's a dragon!!!!

I 'procured' lots of gloves from the labs at work.

It a relatively new job so still getting to grips with what we do as I'm only doing the accs for one element. Turns out we have all these labs with gas spectrometers, plasma spectrometers, fume cupboards all over, radiation detectors for various samples - all very geeky and interesting.

The plus is the lead chemist said if I need gloves, lye or new glasses etc to just let him know as they're all consumables to them!

How cool, I used to have access to gloves and lye too. We had lye in large pellet form which is so much easier to deal with and you don't get any static problems. I wish it was easier to get hold of when you aren't ordering it from a scientific supplier.

Wow Sonya! Lucky you! I love the pellet form of lye and I wish that's what I had at home some days. The only problem with it is, if I recall correctly, each pellet weighs more than 1 gram so it can make weighing out more accurately a difficult task.

I love the gloves I use at work and I really wish I could take them home but... I cant. :(

Opened the mail and found a mold?

I'm at work and I opened the mail and found a #3 plastic thing that would make cool embeds for something... But is it safe for cp? I searched the forum and found an old thread about master batching lye and the best containers to store it in. IrishLass listed PVC as the last one in her notes and has a 140 degree high point for it. So, I'm thinking it would be ok (if you can store lye in #3 as a last resort why not use it as a mold, right)? But, it's pretty thin (think cheap disposable water bottle). Here's a pic. What do you think?

image.jpg

Hahahahahahaha I agree about the clowns.... they give me the willies eesh

And I consider fear a healthy respect for consequences. It doesn't keep me from doing things, but it does ensure I research and learn first :)

"...This is my private nightmare regarding masterbatch lye. That I'll come home from work one night and find that the solution has found a hole and leaked all over something. Ugh. It gives me a nervous gut just thinking about it and the nightmare of finding a way to clean it up. ..."

Gigi -- think about doing what they do in industry with hazardous chemicals. Chemical tanks are always put in a watertight basin or above-ground enclosed area so if a tank leaks, the leakage is contained within the watertight area.

If I masterbatched lye, I would absolutely find a liquid-tight plastic container large enough to hold the masterbatch container(s). I don't (yet, anyways) but I do store my bottles of lye flakes in a lye-resistant plastic tote.

That's an excellent suggestion, TY :)

I'm at work and I opened the mail and found a #3 plastic thing that would make cool embeds for something... But is it safe ?.... But, it's pretty thin (think cheap disposable water bottle). Here's a pic. What do you think?

Teresa T...i don't want to advise you badly but.....I have used cookie and candy 'tray' inserts with no problems.....good luck!

I'm at work and I opened the mail and found a #3 plastic thing that would make cool embeds for something... But is it safe for cp? I searched the forum and found an old thread about master batching lye and the best containers to store it in. IrishLass listed PVC as the last one in her notes and has a 140 degree high point for it. So, I'm thinking it would be ok (if you can store lye in #3 as a last resort why not use it as a mold, right)? But, it's pretty thin (think cheap disposable water bottle). Here's a pic. What do you think?

I think it should work. Just use a recipe that produces a hard bar and dont gel it.

They look like they would be perfect for a honey soap. I love that hexagonal shape.

Thanks brandnew & galaxy. It was funny, I saw that thing and immediately thought soap. I was more interested in the plastic tray than the sample pen it was protecting. I love the little hexagon shapes, too. I was thinking of honey or as heads & helmets for robots. The possibilities are only limited by my imagination, right?

Latest posts

Back