What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I broke the rules...and I liked it (so far )...lol...
Somehow, I ran out of purple colors ( Honestly, how could that've happened?!? )...All I had was some leftover MP color blocks from WSP.
Since I was doing HP, I figured, why not? And it worked! Turned out beautifully so far.
Now I actually have muscadine grape soap that has purple ITP swirls without spending MORE money...lol

I finally purchased a small square mould for test batches

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1441303817.490127.jpg

Yeah sorry but they are pretty much on the down and out when they start doing that.

I read somewhere on the Internet (it must be true hahahaha) that some manufacturers build in a fault so that the appliance fails after so many hours of use and therefore the customer needs to buy a new one every few years.

I can surely believe that. I had an Alienware PC that fritzed almost to the day after the warranty expired. We all know how pricey those babies are. It was a beauty while she lasted, for sure, but that cinched it so I'll never buy one again. For my birthday last year, my fella bought me a refurb laptop and it's been a dream at 1/10 the cost of that AW.

I'm researching what discoloring FO's I have in the cabinet today! YIPEE!! Our hours got cut at work next week, which means I can soap this evening and plan to clean next week extra!

Normally, I tend to research and try to buy 'behaving' FO's, but I think I have one or two in there that will do the trick, and I only need one.... :)

I made my first 800 gram Lard/CO 50/50 with -.05SF for laundry soap today.

BOY--that sucker got hot!

I do the lazy no temp thing... :) I only partly melted the oils and let the lye finish it off. I really like using this style.

But I checked it and the top had split so I left the top uncovered to breathe---and it was in a silicon loaf pan, just sitting in a cardboard box with a cardboard flap covering the top. I bought all the other ingredients today to add to the soap once I grate it. Guess tomorrow is a movie/soap grating nite!

Then this evening I whipped up a batch of 75 lard/5castor/5 cocoa butter/15co and added an EO mixture of a fresh piney scent (I concocted from a FO description I found somewhere). I used Aloe for full liquid and some silk and added TD and green mica. Of course the only green I had was a mystery sample pack and it was a spring green, but alas, it had to do. I have to practice with the micas before I am gonna actually spend on the bigger sizes.

I kinda went crazy today because I hadn't been able to soap for a few weeks due to lack of supplies. I just bit the bullet and got the soapers supplies (columbus foods?) 50#s of lard and some organic cocoa butter (xmas butters) and avocado oil. The order CAME the very next day! WOW.

I made my first shampoo bar - with a HUGE thanks to the super-informative and generally bloody wonderful thread of Genny's! I'm so excited to try it. I've used shampoo bars before and hated them, so fingers crossed I'll like these ones.

I also ordered from an Australian company that sell LUSH dupe FOs - the shipping was expensive to NZ, but it was a belated birthday treat and I've been lusting over them for months. That order arrived today, and I am so, so, SO excited to play. They literally all smell identical to the real LUSH scents - apart from The Comforter/Comfort Zone. That bubble bar was one of my all time fave LUSH products, so I'm kinda disappointed with the FO - OOB, at least. Maybe it will soap nicer.

I also ordered from an Australian company that sell LUSH dupe FOs
Which Company if you dont mind sharing?

I made some a black raspberry & vanilla soap in my new wood mould and it overheated within an hour of going in there. big crack right along the top. I tried to smoosh it back together (there goes my nice top) and put it into the freezer. Thank god I did a clean and organise of it last week so there was room in there. I'm hoping it will still turn out okay

Which Company if you dont mind sharing?

I made some a black raspberry & vanilla soap in my new wood mould and it overheated within an hour of going in there. big crack right along the top. I tried to smoosh it back together (there goes my nice top) and put it into the freezer. Thank god I did a clean and organise of it last week so there was room in there. I'm hoping it will still turn out okay

Big Tree Supplies - they have so many, they're awesome!

I know that Americans are lucky to have to have so many soaping options, but I do come across posts like this that make me wish I could order from far away w/shipping killing me. Also kiwi company soap molds, they always have molds that are exactly what I want, but shipping would be prohibitive.

Cut my "failure" green tea soap. Possibly saved it somewhat when I added French Green Clay at trace? Where exposed to air it has turned lovely green. Yesterday when I unmolded it only top was green. This morning when I cut it sides and bottom were green. Inside was still a "lovely" brown :/ Will see what cut sides look like when I get home. (I have never used green tea before, but I have used FG clay for green color, so not sure if the color change is normal for green tea or because of the clay.)

Did some research into Castile soap, HP, and how to rebatch soap scraps [separate projects, I promise]. (Side note: Searched several times through the forum for good directions on how to rebatch, but never found anything specific enough for my engineer brain, turned to Google for that.)

Packed up to cure some unscented/uncolored bars....and poured some 100% cocoonut oils into a new mold. My figuring isn't coming out right, apparently my soap is MUCH heavier than the water I was using to figure out how much the molds hold. So I'm three bars short from what I aimed for. Figure I'll weigh after unmolding and then weigh in a month and THEN I'll be able to get my batch sizes right! Now to order some more coconut oil....

Today I shipped out three small orders...gave away 2 sample bottles of Hemp Lotion to an office, started an olive leaf extract from my own olive trees, trolled (not really...just browsed) around some unique soaper's sites and sterilized some equipment. Thinking about making more Nudie Bar Soap..for some reason, I'm selling a lot of this one.

Packed up to cure some unscented/uncolored bars....and poured some 100% cocoonut oils into a new mold. My figuring isn't coming out right, apparently my soap is MUCH heavier than the water I was using to figure out how much the molds hold. So I'm three bars short from what I aimed for. Figure I'll weigh after unmolding and then weigh in a month and THEN I'll be able to get my batch sizes right! Now to order some more coconut oil....
Hi, nsmar4211! There is a formula for calculating soap formula weight for the size of your molds. I can send the info, if you haven't already been inundated with help already!

Decided to try my hand at a pencil line today. Used a dark but bright blue, a lighter blue and white, penciled with gold mica. I forgot to spray with ETOH...hope that isn't a deal killer. I wanted the soap at medium trace for bulky irregular lines...it got a little thicker than I wanted and I'm hoping there aren't a lot of air bubbles. Used EOs, lavender and ylang ylang 3:1 smells like fruit loops meets Eliza Dolittle...we'll see once it cures...I don't hate it right now just not sure about it. Oh and I tried adding sugar to my lye...it formed a crust that floated on the top, I ended up straining it out. What did I do wrong?

Working on a new recipe, thinking about going to Lowe's to get some wood for a slab mold. Weighed my curing soap and enjoyed a good, long sniff of it.

made Dragons blood soap in the new mould. Currently has a fan on it as it was getting hot. Not too sure if I like these moulds yet.... Ordered some Fos from Big tree supplies. Still dont like the website. Probably gonna go order some more Fos from another site too.

Latest posts

Back