What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just unmolded last nights soap, which was originally supposed to be a challenge entry.

So I have a new'ish 4lb slab mold that I have never used before. My INTENTIONS were to double my usual recipe for it. I am forever on a quest for more bubbles, so for the first time in my soaping career I lowered my superfat to 2%, and I also upped my castor oil by 2% (not related to the superfatting). If anything, a challenge soap is usually an experiment for me anyway, so why not just go ahead and experiment further LOL.

I will tell you why this was a bad idea (for me), because it was too much change all at once LOL. Not that it would have been a bad change, I am sure it would have been a lovely soap, and very well might be a lovely soap still. But I nullified my experiment by upping the sugar, sodium citrate, and the sodium lactate, which I was supposed to do....IF I CHANGED MY OILS WEIGHT on the soap calc.

I was so focused on everything else, that I forgot to change my batch size. As I am measuring everything out I felt some weird familiarity with the whole process. Of course it felt familiar, its my same recipe, weights and all.

By the time I realized my mistake, I already pulled out water for the sugar and the sodium citrate, and oils from my batch for the colorants, and added my SL...all of which I compensated for a bigger batch. There is really no telling how much I used. So in the end I just had to make it with all the extra sugar, SL, and SC.

I am sure the soap will be just fine (I think), but in the end, I hated my design as I was pouring. I also didn't check how the batter should be set up before I started pouring and it was way too thin and everything just spread out and started to get muddled. So I put a chopstick in it and swirled. So it is a double-fail attempt at the challenge.
How did it turn out? Can we see pictures please?

So I'm just wondering what stages everyone's at. :) I'm a curious little cat, I am.

For myself, I'm waiting for my most recent batch of bar soap to firm up (trying to give it 24 hours before I even touch it, since the soapcalc numbers put it just shy of the 'ideal' hardness range). In addition I fiddled around with the liquid soap I made yesterday (a good chunk of it didn't dissolved, and I was seeing if that was because there wasn't enough water to dilute it all... sure enough that was the problem so it was diluted and added to the bottle holding the rest of it).

And right now I have a tea going that will eventually be strained and frozen, to be used when I make my shampoo bar. Still need to get to my aunt's to pick her citrus trees... But at least I can have the liquid ready to go! I measured out 1/2 oz of dried marshmallow root, 1 1/2 cups water (both weighed to the gram), and then for kicks I tossed in one bag each of Bigelow's Chammomile Lemon and I Love Lemon teas. I'm going to be infusing both chamomile and lemon into the oils, and needed to use the teas anyways (and I don't drink tea). Win-win, right? I might not need all of the tea for the shampoo bar (I'll only be using about 500g oils after all), but at least I'll have it done. :)
So I’m at lots Of stages made 2 batches today un moulded 2 batches and cut one now gonna clean my moulds ready for a new batch and put everything away as I have to make the boxes and labels for them all 🤣

Hi everybody, making another batch of laurel berry oil soap. Used a regular loaf mold this time around. What a pleasant, natural sent. 80% OO, 20% Laurel Berry oil.
received_587506763331671.jpeg
Actual waiting for trace. As I type. Didn't want to dirty stick blender. So, I wait.....
Should have used the stick blender. Would you believe, just textured the top. 12 hours after the pour.

Last edited:
Wow, @Ford , isn't that Aleppo soap?! I LOVE the scent. I wasn't crazy about the feel of the bar I bought from a local Syrian shop but really enjoyed the scent.

Hey, @Mique , happy first day here! Hope you can see this photo below.
20230407_215215.jpg

Soap Peeps, I've done soapy stuff every day this week but didn't have time to update this thread daily. Made a bazillion lotion bars and lip balms. Thank goodness to my production team aka Mrs. Zing who did all the labeling. We recently moved my elderly father out of his independent-living apartment and gave tokens of thanks to the home health aides, housekeepers, and dining room staff who took good care of him for 6 years. Now I'm plumb out of soap and hope to make a batch or two yet this weekend.

Almost three days later and I cannot cut my soap that I added all the extras to on accident. It came out of the mold just fine, but it is super soft around the edges. It's almost there. So frustrating LOL. I usually can cut so much quicker than this.

My soapy thing today is staring at this slab of soap that is taking up space on my counter.

Wow, @Ford , isn't that Aleppo soap?! I LOVE the scent. I wasn't crazy about the feel of the bar I bought from a local Syrian shop but really enjoyed the scent.

Hey, @Mique , happy first day here! Hope you can see this photo below.
View attachment 71822

Soap Peeps, I've done soapy stuff every day this week but didn't have time to update this thread daily. Made a bazillion lotion bars and lip balms. Thank goodness to my production team aka Mrs. Zing who did all the labeling. We recently moved my elderly father out of his independent-living apartment and gave tokens of thanks to the home health aides, housekeepers, and dining room staff who took good care of him for 6 years. Now I'm plumb out of soap and hope to make a batch or two yet this weekend.
Wowza! You have been busy! Thanks goodness is right, for that sweet Mrs Zing - that’s quite a lot of production! Super cool gifts of thanks to the awesome care givers for your father. 🌸

Hi everybody, making another batch of laurel berry oil soap. Used a regular loaf mold this time around. What a pleasant, natural sent. 80% OO, 20% Laurel Berry oil.
View attachment 71813
Actual waiting for trace. As I type. Didn't want to dirty stick blender. So, I wait.....
Should have used the stick blender. Would you believe, just textured the top. 12 hours after the pour.
Allepo soap is lovely! I'm not sure I could pinpoint who anymore, but a group member included allepo in an exchange we had eons ago. I love the scent!

We had family and friends over for a casual Easter dinner. My youngest grandson wanted to make soap, so while the adults were lingering over dessert, we did a quick batch of M&P. He picked out the color, scent, and molds, while I chopped the base. He did the microwaving, mixing and pouring. The bars were ready to unmold and take home before they left. Wish I'd thought to snap some pics because they turned out great!

He had so much fun that he asked if he could skip school tomorrow and do more fun stuff with his Gram. His parents compromised and agreed that I could pick him up at lunch time. The plan is to make his mom a card and a t-shirt for Mother's Day, using the new-to-me Cricut Maker and Cricut Easy-Press that I just picked up on destash. And of course, we will probably make more soap, too. He just loves making soap! Where on earth did he get THAT from? 🤔🤭😁

Last edited:
We had family and friends over for a casual Easter dinner. My youngest grandson wanted to make soap, so while the adults were lingering over dessert, we did a quick batch of M&P. He picked out the color, scent, and molds, while I chopped the base. He did the microwaving, mixing and pouring. The bars were ready to unmold and take home before they left. Wish I'd thought to snap some pics because they turned out great!

He had so much fun that he asked if he could skip school tomorrow and do more fun stuff with his Gram. His parents compromised and agreed that I could pick him up at lunch time. The plan is to make his mom and card and a t-shirt for Mother's Day, using the new-to-me Cricut Maker and Cricut Easy-Press that I just picked up on destash. And of course, we will probably make more soap, too. He just loves making soap! Where on earth did he get THAT from? 🤔🤭😁
You are creating lovely memories with him! I also wish you took pictures. It’s great to see children’s creativity :)

I went to my regular Saturday market which I attend occaisionally in the winter. As an experiment I sold two of my “fancy soaps” for more than typical - $9 instead of $6. I was really delighted that customers were unfazed - sold out of one and sold a few of the other. These are the “fancy soaps” - monarch and octopus. I think I need to make more octopus soap it’s proving to be popular!

5A237A49-E629-45F8-A286-54FB0A3F96AD.jpegEBCE7F0A-7D38-4299-8CE9-69D4E4A94324.jpeg

Last edited:
I went to my regular Saturday market which I attend occaisionally in the winter. A an experiment I sold two of my “fancy soaps” for more than typical - $9 instead of $6. I was really delighted that customers were unfazed - sold out of one and sold a few of the other. These are the “fancy soaps” - monarch and octopus. I think I need to make more octopus soap it’s proving to be popular!

View attachment 71838View attachment 71839
Those are gorgeous !!

I went to my regular Saturday market which I attend occaisionally in the winter. A an experiment I sold two of my “fancy soaps” for more than typical - $9 instead of $6. I was really delighted that customers were unfazed - sold out of one and sold a few of the other. These are the “fancy soaps” - monarch and octopus. I think I need to make more octopus soap it’s proving to be popular!

View attachment 71838View attachment 71839
Wow! My kids would go nuts over your octopus soap! What technique is that?

Back