What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut my batch for the January challenge.

My original plan was "fade to black" until I reread the challenge rules, so at the very last minute (and by very last I mean it was soap in progress LOL). So I had to willy nilly change colors etc. My last pour was definitely not the right color, so I had to lop it off.

I promised myself that I was only doing one go at it. They are a little light-weight for my regular bars that I make. Not sure the batch meets the challenge rules with giving the percentages and such. I tried to keep track. But then had to lop off the top LOL. Still pretty though.

Today I made some flower embeds (using a push mould) from left over soap that I scrapped out of containers from my last batch.
1673503661531.png

Did a huge batch of tallow and honey soap last night. Had to wait untill the early morning to cut it. Tallow hardens very fast and I was scared it would be too hard. 6 hours later it was perfect for cutting. Feeling the tiredness today at work. 😴
Also did some colour tests on little bits of the batter for my red hearts for Valentines - can't wait to get home and see the colours.

I beveled soap and wanted to steam it since it had some soda ash. It's a custom order so I wanted perfection. I don't normally steam my soap. However my steamer has died so I had to get creative! I used the steam setting on my iron which worked nicely. Now to shop for a steamer for those rare times I do steam my soaps.

I beveled soap and wanted to steam it since it had some soda ash. It's a custom order so I wanted perfection. I don't normally steam my soap. However my steamer has died so I had to get creative! I used the steam setting on my iron which worked nicely. Now to shop for a steamer for those rare times I do steam my soaps.
On the occasion that i feel that i need to steam my soap, i use the steam setting on an iron.

I got everything ready to take to my friends house tomorrow to make soap. I decided on OO Pomace - 35%, CO - 25% and Palm Oil - 40%. Can't decide if I want to do a 5% SF or more. I think I used to do an 8%. Thoughts? Also going to bring Kaolin Clay and SG as well as my micas in case she wants to color it. She is going to scent it with Peppermint and Lemon EOs. We will use the EO Calc.

Last edited:
Manifested the power of being home alone again and just finished making a ZNSC (CO/CAS version) Taiwan Swirl soap with some local seawater! Two gorgeous, fluid batter soaps in a row... I'm so spoiled. I need to do a big chunky stinker of a batch next to keep me humble 🤣

I got everything ready to take to my friends house tomorrow to make soap. I decided on OO Pomace - 35%, CO - 25% and Palm Oil - 40%. Can't decide if I want to do a 5% SF or more. I think I used to do an 8%. Thoughts? Also going to bring Kaolin Clay and SG as well as my micas in case she wants to color it. She is going to scent it with Peppermint and Lemon EOs. We will use the EO Calc.
With pomace OO + that much CO, it is likely to be a fast-moving soap. I'd recommend keeping your temps pretty low and blending just to emulsion so there is time for adding color and EOs. Hopefully the lemon EO will slow things down for you a bit. Let us know how it goes! I find it a lot of fun, but also very draining (in a good way) to teach others how to make soap.

With pomace OO + that much CO, it is likely to be a fast-moving soap. I'd recommend keeping your temps pretty low and blending just to emulsion so there is time for adding color and EOs. Hopefully the lemon EO will slow things down for you a bit. Let us know how it goes! I find it a lot of fun, but also very draining (in a good way) to teach others how to make soap.
Thank you @AliOop, will do. I think we are going to do 8%SF. We will put the color, Kaolin Clay and EOs in the oils and stickblender a full min. before we add the lye water. I appreciate your help 😃.

We didn't get to make soap. My memory failed me again. We specifically scheduled NEXT Friday as she was recording today. Drove to her house with her confused why I was there with one of my boxes. Ugh. Stopped at the Post Office to get a couple of small boxes, great for a pound of soap. Not a total waste of time and I got to see my friend for a few minutes.

Awww sorry about that @Paulie! And thanks for graciously accepting my unsolicited advice. I momentarily forgot you are an experienced soaper and didn't need me to tell you all that.

Last edited:
I always accept advice. I might forget something lol. I don't make soap all the time so advice is always welcome. I appreciate you. I usually soap cool, let everything cool or do heat transfer if I don't have a high amt of hard oils then add my OO, etc.

We're you on the Dish forum when it was running? I had so many formulas from that forum, such as Bandicoots Olive Oil Lotion, made it and it was wonderful. I also had a super easy lip balm that was also wonderful, I think from Sultana. I was on that forum for years. One really needed thick skin, lol. I kept out of their drama. All of my formulas were stolen when I was selling one of my homes. Ugh, dang thief's. I had it all on index cards, in an index file box. It was full. Makes me so sad. Anyways, I love making my own soap and haven't used store bought since I started. Sorry for so much chatting ☺️ BTW, not soliciting any formulas. ☺️

Last edited:
We didn't get to make soap. My memory failed me again. We specifically scheduled NEXT Friday as she was recording today. Drove to her house with her confused why I was there with one of my boxes. Ugh. Stopped at the Post Office to get a couple of small boxes, great for a pound of soap. Not a total waste of time and I got to see my friend for a few minutes.
Awww bummer, @Paulie! I guess the bright side is more time to plan and prepare. 🌸

Unfortunately no. But quite a few other SMF members were. Maybe if you posted a request for the missing Dish recipes that you seek, some others here might be able to share them with you.
Naw, I'm good just making soap. Thank you though 🙂

Latest posts

Back