What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I made it over to Big Lots to get some coconut oil. I remember someone here saying a while ago that that’s where they got theirs, and after doing a little research it’s the cheapest I could find. (Plus no shipping!) I bought three big tubs and the cashier asked me what I was going to do with all that, so we talked a little about soap. 😁 She even gave me $10 off my purchase because I decided to join their club thing (which means more emails, as I’m trying so hard to get fewer! 😱).

Anyway, all that to say that I was pretty excited about finding a good deal on coconut oil. After that i headed over to Publix for some groceries, to include some distilled water as I’m on my last gallon. TWO DOLLARS AND NINETEEN CENTS per gallon!! So much for my savings, lol.
Thank you, I need more CO and was going to just get it at Costco. Checked Big Lots and it is cheaper. Sweet! 🌸

Hello All, Happy New Year!

I decorated my most recent batch of soap with himalayan salt crystals and they are collecting water drops on my soap, I live in San Diego, and its been raining, humidity around 50%. I see so many makers use salt on their soaps, how do they keep this from happening? It is not my recipe, this never happens. Any suggestions?

For the distilled water, I recently invested in a water distiller and two Rubbermaid pitchers (one for the soap room, one for DH’s CPAP machine). Now I’m also making DW for my son-in-law who lives nearby, for his CPAP.
That’s a great idea! I should look into that. My DH has a CPAP too but it doesn’t require distilled water. Still might be worth it though!

Ok, my ginger turmeric soap is in the mold. I was inspired by a turmeric latte mix I had, so I added 2 Tbsp of that to the essential oils. The mix has turmeric, coconut milk powder, coconut sugar, cayenne pepper and black pepper (very small amounts of these.) I used orange, litsea, lemon, lemongrass, ginger, black pepper and patchouli essential oils. I separated out some batter and added more turmeric to it for a darker layer. I did a hanger swirl at pretty light trace. Should be interesting!
It sounds wonderful. I hope you will post a photo when you cut it.

I still have about four gallons of Big Lots CO tucked away myself. Such a great price! For the distilled water, I recently invested in a water distiller and two Rubbermaid pitchers (one for the soap room, one for DH’s CPAP machine). Now I’m also making DW for my son-in-law who lives nearby, for his CPAP.

I love it! It only takes 4 hours to make ~1 gallon. I love not wasting all those plastic jugs, or looking at empty shelves when the stores run out (which they do often, ever since the start of the pandemic). And if distilled water keeps increasing in price, the distiller will even pay for itself soon. I’ve already made close to 10 gallons since I got it two months ago.

But even if it never paid for itself, I’d still buy it again for the sheer convenience and for reducing waste.
Is it hard to keep clean? The TDS is really high in my water. I imagine it would leave a lot of scale in a distiller.

Is it hard to keep clean? The TDS is really high in my water. I imagine it would leave a lot of scale in a distiller.
It isn't hard to keep clean, but I also have softened water. I put in a bit of citric acid and some hot water, let it sit for a few hours, and then rinse it all out.

Could you filter your water first, say in a cheap Brita pitcher, and then distill it?

It isn't hard to keep clean, but I also have softened water. I put in a bit of citric acid and some hot water, let it sit for a few hours, and then rinse it all out.

Could you filter your water first, say in a cheap Brita pitcher, and then distill it?
The high TDS is due to inorganic minerals, like calcium and salts, that can’t be removed with a carbon filter. Everyone in the neighborhood has hard water because we all have wells and live on the edge of a salt marsh. Our water softener does enough to protect the plumbing and the water is okay for taking a shower (with the right soap 😉), but I don’t drink It. We decided not to install an RO filter because they waste a lot of water and our well is relatively low yield. I think distillation is the only other viable option, but up until a year or two ago I didn’t know they made small distillers for home use. I guess it’s time for some research! What kind do you have?

The high TDS is due to inorganic minerals, like calcium and salts, that can’t be removed with a carbon filter. Everyone in the neighborhood has hard water because we all have wells and live on the edge of a salt marsh. Our water softener does enough to protect the plumbing and the water is okay for taking a shower (with the right soap 😉), but I don’t drink It. We decided not to install an RO filter because they waste a lot of water and our well is relatively low yield. I think distillation is the only other viable option, but up until a year or two ago I didn’t know they made small distillers for home use. I guess it’s time for some research! What kind do you have?
I bought this one, and I see it is now 40% off the price that I paid for it. 😆 I originally wanted one that was about $300, but decided it wasn't worth that kind of expense (not compared to all the other soapy things I want, haha).

All the distillers seem have mixed reviews, so I ended up picking this one that seemed to have the least number of failures. I am quite happy with it. It does include a little post-distillation carbon pod filter, but all the visible crud is left on the bottom of the unit when it's done.

I bought this one, and I see it is now 40% off the price that I paid for it. 😆 I originally wanted one that was about $300, but decided it wasn't worth that kind of expense (not compared to all the other soapy things I want, haha).

All the distillers seem have mixed reviews, so I ended up picking this one that seemed to have the least number of failures. I am quite happy with it. It does include a little post-distillation carbon pod filter, but all the visible crud is left on the bottom of the unit when it's done.
At that price, I bought it. Based on the reviews, people are having success with some pretty nasty water. As far as I can tell, the secret to keeping it clean without a lot of hassle is to shut it off while there’s still a bit of water left in the heating unit. Will report back. Thank you!

You are very welcome, and I hope it works well for you. My husband has promised to buy a timer-thingy that will automatically shut it off at 3.75 hours. Since it typically takes 4.2-ish hours to complete a cycle, that will keep me from having to babysit it.

I should mention, I do fill mine with hot water from the tap, which does speed up the process considerably and saves the unit from having to heat tap-cold water. We do have a hot water circulating pump, so I can turn on the faucet and have hot water within seconds (in other words, no water wasted in the process of getting the tap to go from cold to hot).

I still have about four gallons of Big Lots CO tucked away myself. Such a great price! For the distilled water, I recently invested in a water distiller and two Rubbermaid pitchers (one for the soap room, one for DH’s CPAP machine). Now I’m also making DW for my son-in-law who lives nearby, for his CPAP.

I love it! It only takes 4 hours to make ~1 gallon. I love not wasting all those plastic jugs, or looking at empty shelves when the stores run out (which they do often, ever since the start of the pandemic). And if distilled water keeps increasing in price, the distiller will even pay for itself soon. I’ve already made close to 10 gallons since I got it two months ago.

But even if it never paid for itself, I’d still buy it again for the sheer convenience and for reducing waste.
Which distiller did you decide on? I have been looking at them but am still undecided. Thanks.

Hello All, Happy New Year!

I decorated my most recent batch of soap with himalayan salt crystals and they are collecting water drops on my soap, I live in San Diego, and its been raining, humidity around 50%. I see so many makers use salt on their soaps, how do they keep this from happening? It is not my recipe, this never happens. Any suggestions?
It is probably the salt on the soap. I have a couple of himalayan salt candle holders. Just by sitting there, they accumulated a salt rock ring around the bottom of them. Salt draws moisture.

Plus I would be afraid that salt of any type would be too scratchy on the skin if just put on the top of the soap like that, unless you use a washcloth, which I don't, which is why I don't put anything scratchy in my soap, let alone on top where it is going to be just...scratchy.

I'm sure it looks pretty, but it doesn't belong on top of your soap. I know you didn't ask about the second part of my answer, just my two cents.

Yesterday I made it over to Big Lots to get some coconut oil. I remember someone here saying a while ago that that’s where they got theirs, and after doing a little research it’s the cheapest I could find. (Plus no shipping!) I bought three big tubs and the cashier asked me what I was going to do with all that, so we talked a little about soap. 😁 She even gave me $10 off my purchase because I decided to join their club thing (which means more emails, as I’m trying so hard to get fewer! 😱).

Anyway, all that to say that I was pretty excited about finding a good deal on coconut oil. After that i headed over to Publix for some groceries, to include some distilled water as I’m on my last gallon. TWO DOLLARS AND NINETEEN CENTS per gallon!! So much for my savings, lol.
It’s worth it to be on the Big Lots email list because they have 15% off coupons regularly, or $10 off a purchase of $30. I watch for those and buy my coconut oil at those times. I have looked at prices at many stores and they are the cheapest, and as you said, no shipping.

Wet soap top...Tuesday?? LOL. My plan was a little different, but I am happy anyway. My lines are a little crooked, but I think nobody will know the wiser in the finished bars.

CPOPing so I think some of the colors are going to pop. I hope.

Colors in there: TD, AC, Ballet Slippers (that turned orange with the FO, so hope that it goes back to pink), Trial by Fire, King Tut, Pretty Kitty neon mixed with Spicy Tomato and a little AC to tone it down, and Spicy Tomato.

Edit, the smell is cranberry. I put too much black in there. I just wanted some definition. It was supposed to be called "I love you berry much"...Still smells good though LOL. I think it is my favorite smell

slab mold wet soap top.jpg

Last edited:
It’s worth it to be on the Big Lots email list because they have 15% off coupons regularly, or $10 off a purchase of $30. I watch for those and buy my coconut oil at those times. I have looked at prices at many stores and they are the cheapest, and as you said, no shipping.
Thanks for this, @Vicki C I just checked and I have $10 off $20…. I smell coconut oil in my future 🌸

Wet soap top...Tuesday?? LOL. My plan was a little different, but I am happy anyway. My lines are a little crooked, but I think nobody will know the wiser in the finished bars.

CPOPing so I think some of the colors are going to pop. I hope.

Colors in there: TD, AC, Ballet Slippers (that turned orange with the FO, so hope that it goes back to pink), Trial by Fire, King Tut, Pretty Kitty neon mixed with Spicy Tomato and a little AC to tone it down, and Spicy Tomato.

Edit, the smell is cranberry. I put too much black in there. I just wanted some definition. It was supposed to be called "I love you berry much"...Still smells good though LOL. I think it is my favorite smell

View attachment 70457
Oh wow, @Catscankim - I love it!! 🌸

Quickly rushed home during lunch to make an urgently awaited batch of "stain sticks" and clean some tallow that I started cooking last night - only to find that my wife has decided to "spring clean" the kitchen - where I make soaps! What chaos!
Well, all's well that ends well!
Stain sticks are in spare room to set and tallow is in pot - ready to go for its second purifying session when I get home tonight.

Quick question: Does it make a difference how "quickly" you insulate after pouring for gelling? I am considering making 5 loaves in my slab mold - using dividers. Since each loaf will be different, there will be some time passing after doing the first loaf untill I finish with the last loaf and can insulate everything.

Quick question: Does it make a difference how "quickly" you insulate after pouring for gelling? I am considering making 5 loaves in my slab mold - using dividers. Since each loaf will be different, there will be some time passing after doing the first loaf untill I finish with the last loaf and can insulate everything.
I think you will be fine. As you add each loaf, it will contribute heat to the others. The final large mass of soap also helps create and hold in the heat.

Back