What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One down, one to go. Yesterday's market gave me a VERY clear indicator of my bestselling soaps of the year - Patchouli & Orange and Goat Milk & Lavender. I ran out of both yesterday and the Patchouli & Orange was the batch I made a month ago. People were requesting both, and it wasn't just one or two people asking. So, I have the Goat Milk & Lavender in the mold and the Patch & Orange is coming up, as soon as I have the dishes washed.

One down, one to go. Yesterday's market gave me a VERY clear indicator of my bestselling soaps of the year - Patchouli & Orange and Goat Milk & Lavender. I ran out of both yesterday and the Patchouli & Orange was the batch I made a month ago. People were requesting both, and it wasn't just one or two people asking. So, I have the Goat Milk & Lavender in the mold and the Patch & Orange is coming up, as soon as I have the dishes washed.
50/50 Patch/Orange? So happy for you that you get clear direction from your customers!

Yesterday's soapy things were putting the total of 16 quarts of rendered-but-not-yet-cleaned-tallow in the fridge, cleaning up all the greasy utensils, and then heading out with a friend to pick up a destash of approximately 250 lotion containers from someone in the area who is moving out of the country. She included a bunch of BB micas, a few molds, and lots of test-sized BBs FOs (mostly Christmas scents). I foresee some Christmas soaps in the near future!

It was a bit of a drive out into the country and back, but my friend and I were chatting away. We got to her house and continued to sit in my car and chat some more.... until I noticed the ginormous spider crawling on the inside of the car roof towards her head!! 🕷️ A bit of school-girl screaming erupted, but we eventually flicked him out of the car and stomped on him.

The destash seller had mentioned that the containers were all new and unopened, but that she had stored them in her garage for almost two years. No doubt that was the stowaway's home port. When I got home, everything went into my garage, where it will stay till I have some time to evict any other little tenants with a garden hose, before bringing it all into the house for proper sanitizing.

I made soap -- if you're counting, that's 3 in 3 days! I had some leftover peppermint "sticks" (thin slabs) from making my Hot Cocoa soap. So I made a Christmasy embed soap with a "simple" green & white in the pot swirl, scented with equal parts peppermint/lavender/rosemary essential oils. How I generated 100 dirty measuring spoons is beyond me. Everything is warm and cozy and gelling.

Today started with non-soapy things... harvesting our rhubarb! It went into the turkey roaster with some home grown apples from one friend, and some home-grown pears from another friend. Neither the apples nor the pears were wonderful for eating, but combined with rhubarb, cinnamon, brown sugar, and maple syrup, it turned into 10 quarts of pretty great rhubarb-pear-apple sauce, if I do say so myself. 😋😋
Yummmmmmmm 🌸🥰

Today I found some new coated signs/poster board that was perfect to repurpose as mold dividers. Bonus that my loaf mold divider ends fit my small square, too. Got the hubby to assist with the cutting and they came out perfect. So. Many. Options. LOL 🌸

I also think I’m a bit soap obsessed now - anyone else dream about soap and soaping?
I even had a terrible ?dream? where I forgot I was making soap and not baking a cake and licked the rubber spatula covered with soap batter. Oh em gee, I woke up freaked out! Note to self, soap is not an eat…. 😉😂😉

Autumn colors. First time goat’s milk (powder) and mango butter. Almond FO. I‘m glad that I layered this time instead of swirling.

Attachments

• B2DFE0CB-C8BC-460C-A4F0-8E85DAFDE914.jpeg
    B2DFE0CB-C8BC-460C-A4F0-8E85DAFDE914.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
At last I have jumped on the Blacksmith Soap bandwagon! Never before had I soaped with borax, KOH, honey, or pumice. Dissolving the borax was the trickiest part for me. My water must not have been quite hot enough; I ended up with borax "rocks" and had to try again. Thanks to @earlene for the recipe! Perhaps I'll post a picture later.

Has anyone here had problems with Soapers Choice oils that were adulterated? I'm just trying to verify this post before contacting them directly about a problem I'm having with PKO. TIA :)

I made soap today. Lord knows what number of batches I'm on in so many days. I did take last evening off for my social life, of all things. Scented with 50 50 cedarwood and bergamot, colored with cocoa powder and un. Oh, and I successfully dissolved colloidal oats in my oil mixture -- thanks, @AliOop for the tip! Everything is cozy under a pile o' towels.

Has anyone here had problems with Soapers Choice oils that were adulterated? I'm just trying to verify this post before contacting them directly about a problem I'm having with PKO. TIA :)
I’ve never had a problem with SC oils but I just got 60 lbs of PKO from them so I hope there is not an issue. Only used it a few times so far but seems fine. What problem are you having. i got mine in 30 lb cubes.

Last edited:
What problem are you having.
The last two batches of my friends & family favorite 50/50 Lard & PKO Hair & Body (Liquid) Shampoo isn't saponifying as it usually does. It starts out opaque then becomes clear over time. The latest two batches not only don't clear but half of it settles to the bottom and the lather isn't nearly as nice as it normally is. :(

I've never had a problem with SC oils either. That's what concerns me! I'd hate to lose a trusted supplier if they really are selling adulterated oils.

I haven't made any in a long time due to that glitch. I have a lot of PKO (flakes) from SC that I need to use up. I want to move forward, but that post made me think I need to verify before soaping it.

The last two batches of my friends & family favorite 50/50 Lard & PKO Hair & Body (Liquid) Shampoo isn't saponifying as it usually does. It starts out opaque then becomes clear over time. The latest two batches not only don't clear but half of it settles to the bottom and the lather isn't nearly as nice as it normally is. :(

I've never had a problem with SC oils either. That's what concerns me! I'd hate to lose a trusted supplier if they really are selling adulterated oils.

I haven't made any in a long time due to that glitch. I have a lot of PKO (flakes) from SC that I need to use up. I want to move forward, but that post made me think I need to verify before soaping it.
Well that’s not good! I didn’t buy the flakes, but the blocks of pko instead. i was at a supplier relatively close to me that sells the flakes. They were out of the blocks. they told me the flakes were just the solid pko that they shred up. I was a bit confused as I have read some threads here that say the flakes and the regular pko have different qualities. SC was cheaper to ship to me than buying from them with no shipping btw! Could your KOH be the issue?

I have read some threads here that say the flakes and the regular pko have different qualities.
The main difference is the flakes are much easier to use.
SC was cheaper to ship to me than buying from them with no shipping btw!
Oh my. That's crazy. Same here. I can buy locally but it's a good 45 minute drive away and SC is cheaper even with shipping... and the quality is consistently reliable... or at least it used to be.
Could your KOH be the issue?
Yes. I definitely think so.

I have had no problems with SC oils either. I normally use 92 degree coconut and had to order a bucket of 76 this summer because of the outside heat. It wasn't as white as I expected. Mike pulled the batch number to let me know production date and that the top of the batch is used for popcorn oil (I didn't know) which does have more yellow color.

I think the flakes and solid PKO are different. I like PKO and use about 1/3 - 1/2 of my lathering oils with the balance coconut. I find that PKO can provide more waxiness in my soap than I like if I use too much. I notice that more with the solid.

Back