What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like dragonflies too, you got me googling "milky way dragon fly mold", they have some nice ones :)

I have difficulty using the plastic ones w/anything other than mp, though. Would love to find a nice silicone one.

I'm working with WSP's Urban Cowboy fragrance oil this afternoon... After reading the reviews, I figured it'd be a good idea to HP it, as almost every review said it accelerated FAST... But it also riced the second the oil hit the soap...thankfully after some stirring, it came back together...and turned into soap on a stick...lol...glopped it in the mold, smoothed the top as best I could, and now there's oil, I'm assuming the fragrance, oozing out. And now, we wait...
Happy soaping :)

Busy day

I made 4 loaves of soap so far today and it is now 6pm. They were: unscented gms, manly man beard wash/shampoo bars with apple cider vinegar, sex on the beach soap with cranberry puree, and i just finished up a manly man facial bar batch. I may do another loaf tonight but havent decided what recipe.

The sex on the beach soap took the longest. i don't believe in using fragrance oils or anything unnatural in my soap so it took awhile to figure out how to scent and color it to make it smell like a sex on the beach cocktail.

that dragonfly mold was the first mold I ever bought back when I was still too scared to try CP. I still love it best.

had to leave a fan on my Bastille Buttermilk Carrot Soap after freezing it to unmold (I had it in the trouble maker 1 lb mold that the two previous soaps had trouble coming out.
temporary_18.jpg

Today I unmolded my third failed attempt at CP (usually do HP soaps). It cracked, had soda ash, is soft like play dough when you touch it and has a few shiney areas. Oh and even though I know my oils are fresh I have small areas of discoloration. Really, really, really frustrated. :problem:

I made soap using fresh puréed tomatoes yesterday for the first time and i kept the temperatures low enough that it didn't turn brown. I'm hoping that the color stays and the tomato doesn't go bad.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437672245.007888.jpg

Making myself a soapy treat. I've got a couple of amber resins infused and some patchouli standing by for some afternoon soaping. Not a scrap or a bar will be shared.

If I knew anyone who loved amber like I do, I might share. But they all like lavender, coconut, citrus, etc etc so the amber is mine. Mua ha ha.

I've tried many amber FOs and none of them do it quick right. I want to buy fossilized amber oil for perfuming purposes, at the cost I don't think I'd use it in soap... maybe. I know the scent would be much different since they aren't the same beast. That said, infusing amber resin is easy. Grate resin, add to oil, place in hot water bath for a few hours, let cool and strain before use. I add more oil to the resin left behind after straining to make a new infusion. You can "reuse" it a few times.

I know, I have tried a zillion amber FOs too (OK, not a million, but probably 25 or so). Will you post about how it comes out? I will reciprocate on the AC experiments, although I am kind of afraid to start. I just want to keep researching and researching - not much out there on ACs in soap - but at some point you have to bite the bullet ..

ETA: in researching ACs and amber I came across news stories about people find huge chunks of ambergris on the beach (of course it doesn't happen v. often), so interesting ...

Last edited:
Of course! And it's true I was looking at aroma chemical even just for perfuming and... well my wallet can't buy me everything I want. That said I am going on an expensive trip in a little over a month so after than my wallet will be freer.

I have actually met someone who found a whale carcass washed up by his dock off Vancouver Island... The pelvic bone now hangs above the front door...

I am hoping that I can add small amounts of the ACs to existing FOs/EO blends so it is not too expensive. These things are really heavily concentrated, some even more than others. Plus, the FO manafacturers use them to make their blends, so I think it must be doable w/r/t to cost ...

I ordered a new silicone loaf mold from WSP that came today, so I just broke it in with a batch of Cucumber Melon from NG. I tried a slight modification of my usual lard recipe, using a little less CO, and I tried to swirl again. The top was pretty, but I guess I'll wait to see if I poured deep enough tomorrow...
Totally forgot to take a pic before popping it in the oven. :(

Latest posts

Back