What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made a taiwan swirl soap- Was a bit messy getting started, after that My dividers I made seemed to work ok.
I'll cut this on tuesday along with the Buttermilk Bastille soap I made on friday.
temporary_16.jpg

I spent all of last week at the beach camping, and the days before that packing for the trip. I read so much on here while I was gone, and today made a batch of my usual lard soap in Sweet Orange Chili Pepper from NG (I tried an ITP swirl- I still struggle with swirls...), I rebatched some failed soap plus end pieces from other soap (I added Jamaica Me Crazy to this since I read it separates and is best suited for HP), and I made a castile soap with 100% OO using the sample of Ginger Patchouli from BB. I also ran a few recipes through SoapCalc for later.

Now I must confess I am about to escape to Soap Curing Land to get away from my kids for a bit...

The closest I have gotten to soaping is thinking about it ;) With this Monsoon weather we are having it is miserable in my non air conditioned house. I also got rained out at a market Saturday. Fortunately we had our tent anchored to a fence when the wind came blasting through. But we desperately need the rain, it just the heat and humidity I am complaining about. I live in California not the deep south....:p. Thankyou Cabo for your Hurricane. I really need to make soap

New idea for me...
Today I purchased a stainless steel potato french fry press from Harbor Freight ($7.99) to make my sample soap "sticks". Cutting by hand to get the slice I want to share was ok, but now 1 bar done in 2 seconds!

That is such a great idea! I love the way your sample sticks look and your bar soap is beautiful.

Poured all my sandalwood samples. Got a message that my Omar stamps are coming, yay! He could not make my custom one, I guess it is wonky, but 8 other gorgeous ones are on the way. Ordered some aroma chemicals and continuing to do research on those. Amazed at how much there is to think about with soap ....

I made up a batch with dragon's blood from NG using a different recipe than my tried and true recipes. I colored it with poppy red mica. I'm excited to see how the color ends up during curing.

Finally managed to pour 2 batches late last night. These were 2 new fo's for me. I used Raspberry Lemonade in a lard tallow soap and a batch of My Main Squeeze, it also smells good. My Main Squeeze did accelerate, but Raspberry Lemonade soap beautifully.
Traderbren, it you love Dragon's Blood Pure Fragrance Oils has the best I have found and I am a DB fanactic

I made sandalwood and red cherry soap with 1/4 coconut oil and 3/4 olive oil dyed with red oxides.

But it morphed in the mixing tube so I had to pure it out quick. Fail!

Good tip I use when this happens is once it's set and cures, shave it down and use to sprinkle in the bath and they look like rose pestles.

Turned a bad situation in to a good one :)

I unmolded my Sweet Orange Chili Pepper loaf and have started unmolding my dragon's blood bars. My Castile needs more time. The small square silicone mold releases my little nibbins, but my larger plastic dragonfly mold will need much longer I'm guessing.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437479128.023830.jpg
Dragon's Blood in front, SOCP in back.

Carolyn, I've been contemplating Raspberry Lemonade. You might have just been the extra little nudge I needed to add it to my cart. I have a small order with 2 molds in progress at WSP, but need to browse a little more to see what else I need that is a decent deal to make my minimum. That was one of the FOs I was considering if I went the FO route to pad that order.

Sweet Orange Chili Pepper looks beautiful, with perfect colors for the fo. Just curious did you swirl the DB with the red? Dragons Blood will turn quite dark brown, but I swirl mine with red clay or red mica. It also help to separate some before adding the fo and leaving it natural to swirl in. Haven't used NG's in a very long time so I do not remember the color it turns

Carolyn, I've been contemplating Raspberry Lemonade. You might have just been the extra little nudge I needed to add it to my cart. I have a small order with 2 molds in progress at WSP, but need to browse a little more to see what else I need that is a decent deal to make my minimum. That was one of the FOs I was considering if I went the FO route to pad that order.

I just soaped that one too. It behaved wonderfully, but be warned that it is potent. I did .8ppo and that seems like a little heavy handed, though maybe it will soften after a full cure.

Check out the chart for more WSP reviews... you'll have that cart waay past the minimum in no time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...7sNswuh-yaTdRf1M/edit?authkey=CMTEtswL#gid=13

I added the mica directly to the lye water and just dyed the whole shebang. I anticipate a good bit of darkening, and didn't want to fuss with a swirl, since I still struggle to do those. NG says it should be a milk chocolate color when cured, so I guess I'm going for chocolate covered cherry color.

I got my Castile out of the mold! In retrospect, using that mold on such a soft soap might not have been my smartest move. This one is a little dinged up. The other two are much better.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1437497845.438556.jpg

Anyone can check my recipe for my American friend who live in UK she will going back with her family to Portland. I want to make her a goodbye soap. My recipe and I will use hot process

Coconut oil 20%
Olive oil pomace 15%
Palm kernel oil 10%
Palm oil 10%
Castor oil 10%
Medowfoam oil 10%
Sweet almond 5%
Cocoa butter 5%
Linseed oil 5%
Shea butter 5%
Wheat germ 5%

water 38%