What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up the master batches soaps I’d prepped. Made my deer tallow soap. Next is a new formula/batch/technique for what I hope will be a new staple, goat milk and honey. But first…
Really pleased with my new bath bomb drying station! 65RH in my work space, 42RH inside the rack covers with the dehumidifier going!!! 3 more master batches rounds of bath bombs that are already prepped. Then while they’re all drying, I’ll clean my work space and then begin another big round of MB soaps.
Pics of my deer tallow soap (already have a thread about it).
And my super great bath bomb drying area!
Also in the drying racks at the top are my unscented deer tallow soaps. Because the one soap I got munched by a mouse was unscented tallow soap. I think the mouse is gone. But, in case he’s not, I don’t think he can get up in those racks.
Also, returning my new stupid cheap stand mixer I thought I could use for bath bombs. It doesn’t go near the sides or bottom. You had ONE job!!!

Attachments

• 4AC4521C-13E9-4155-AB29-FACED59FDCEA.jpeg
    4AC4521C-13E9-4155-AB29-FACED59FDCEA.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2A421212-4401-43A7-979A-E8FA9B6DAA9A.jpeg
    2A421212-4401-43A7-979A-E8FA9B6DAA9A.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 22
  • B9754C79-90D1-4BBC-9FFD-01E42AB50735.jpeg
    B9754C79-90D1-4BBC-9FFD-01E42AB50735.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 08CC1C60-C9D1-4B7B-8B4A-F6AD060FBE2C.jpeg
    08CC1C60-C9D1-4B7B-8B4A-F6AD060FBE2C.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
with the dehumidifier going!!!
Can you (re)use the condensed moisture as distilled water for further soaps?

Also in the drying racks at the top are my unscented deer tallow soaps. Because the one soap I got munched by a mouse was unscented tallow soap. I think the mouse is gone. But, in case he’s not, I don’t think he can get up in those racks.
😲
Are your soaps then no longer officially animal-testing free?

My wife has informed me that I can not give any of the aloe soap away. This includes the pink stuff I made. The aloe soaps are one of the only soaps that she has moved to her spot to cure and told me to stay away. I told her it would take her a long time to use that much and it might not be any better then my other soap. She was adamant on her point though. This might be an abject lesson for those that sell (that I am sure they already know) that listed ingredients do have an outsized influence on what people want.
Cheers
gww

Picked up a really wonderful destash from a local soaper who has decided to stop selling and just make soap for gifting and personal use. The lot included fragrances, micas, 28lb of M&P base, a stick blender, fully-enclosed eye protection glasses, silicone loaf and cavity molds, a bunch of smaller mixing containers, and misc. Much of this will be made into a "new soaper kit" for my friend's daughter, who got hooked when they came over for a soaping lesson awhile back. It was fun to meet another soaper while also being able to pass on the love of the craft.

With all the smaller mixing and pouring containers, however, I am pretty sure I don't need those stainless creamer jugs that I was eyeing from the restaurant auction. Still hoping to get one of the bread racks, though!

Challenging soaping day today. First, My photos of one soap just didn't turn out well no matter how many shots I did. they are vibrant but the camera just didn't get it. Then, I was working on my blue moon soap and the first layer wasn't coming to trace. I rechecked my recipe and all was good. I added the fo thinking that would help but it did not. It was passed emulsion but wouldn't go further. I finally just poured it and waited a while. it eventually thicked a bit but nowhere near what it should have. Mixed up the top layer, same recipe, and fo but different mica color. No issues at all.

Im a bit worried about that bottom layer. Hoping it fully hardens enough to unmold and cut. My embed was expensive to make and I dont want to waste it if the bottom turns out failed.

Picked up a really wonderful destash from a local soaper who has decided to stop selling and just make soap for gifting and personal use. The lot included fragrances, micas, 28lb of M&P base, a stick blender, fully-enclosed eye protection glasses, silicone loaf and cavity molds, a bunch of smaller mixing containers, and misc. Much of this will be made into a "new soaper kit" for my friend's daughter, who got hooked when they came over for a soaping lesson awhile back. It was fun to meet another soaper while also being able to pass on the love of the craft.
SCORE!
These are patchouli and orange. I don't tend to use the cavity molds for this type of soap usually, but I'm really happy with how they came out so slick.
View attachment 63647
Feeling chuffed? Great job, there!

Wow! Had a lot to catch up on! This is my favorite thread! You guys are awesome!

I’ve not made soap since a week before Christmas…so today was soap making day! I made three batches to test out 3 new fragrance oils from Nurture Soap. Tried 3 different techniques… a feather and drop swirl and a OPW. All the FO’s behaved really well, maybe too well! Lol! Had trouble getting to the slightest trace, so hopefully the soaps are not too muddy.

I had a lot of fun today, now I need to go clean up my mess!😳😬

Wow! Had a lot to catch up on! This is my favorite thread! You guys are awesome!

I’ve not made soap since a week before Christmas…so today was soap making day! I made three batches to test out 3 new fragrance oils from Nurture Soap. Tried 3 different techniques… a feather and drop swirl and a OPW. All the FO’s behaved really well, maybe too well! Lol! Had trouble getting to the slightest trace, so hopefully the soaps are not too muddy.

I had a lot of fun today, now I need to go clean up my mess!😳😬
Where are the pics? That feather swirl, man, someday.... Let us know how it goes.
Not that I'm working full-time again, I've taken to making a double batch each time - then splitting it off to make two separate soaps. Yesterday was the Patchouli and Orange above ^ and Lavender and Liquorice tiger stripe:
Did you use essential oils for the patch and orange? I also was going to make a crack about helium, LOL!

Today I made Mrs. Zing's fave foot balm. As part of my "Operation Empty Cupboard," I have used up my vitamin E oil. Simple ingredients: shea butter, beeswax, golden jojoba, vitamin E oil, lavender essential oil. Labeled "Playing Footsie."

Great tiger stripe! It looks like the black stripes are AC? From my understanding of liquorice, it's a too “cold” black. Maybe pairing it with brown oxide or cocoa powder?
Yeah but I like it black, black in the soap. Did you notice there were no glycerin rivers this time? It gelled (as usual) but I got nothin’.

@Zing I used - 7g Orange Blossom FO, 24g Patchouli EO and 4g Tangerine EO.
The lavender and liquorice is 27g lavender and 4g aniseed EOs.

@KiwiMoose
Well, I didn't mean to replace the AC, but to complement it. Rich black is a real thing in printing business – a possible soapy adaption would be a generous AC colouration, plus an addition of some brown or red oxide, or umbra and/or a bit of cocoa powder (not too much to not provoke weird migration). Or a vanilla-containing fragrance (if it fits into the overall scheme). Too bad that you ran out of red mica recently.

Back