What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested the red palm soap I made about a week ago. The soap is 5% red palm in the bottom layer, no color-no red palm in the middle and 2% red palm in the top layer. I cut a small piece off of the 5% and 2% red palm I poured into little pots. Both lather white. After sitting on a white paper towel, the staining left behind is barely visible at 2% and moderate at 5%. I do like the color 🙂

Red Palm Honeysuckle.jpgRed Palm test.jpg

I tested the red palm soap I made about a week ago. The soap is 5% red palm in the bottom layer, no color-no red palm in the middle and 2% red palm in the top layer. I cut a small piece off of the 5% and 2% red palm I poured into little pots. Both lather white. After sitting on a white paper towel, the staining left behind is barely visible at 2% and moderate at 5%. I do like the color 🙂

View attachment 63692View attachment 63693
This is really pretty Dibbles. It screams lemon fragrance to me though - what did you use to scent it?

This is really pretty Dibbles. It screams lemon fragrance to me though - what did you use to scent it?
Aww thanks. It is scented with Wild Honeysuckle. I was testing that too. I had such quick acceleration and I'm not sure if it was the red palm, the unrefined shea or the FO. I suspect all three played a part. I'm so glad I made the layers separately.

Prepping 22 batches of bath bombs and waiting for ONE ingredient to be delivered. I should just leave it until tomorrow. But it’s very unsettling having it unfinished! OCF? Obsessive compulsive function? 😆
At least I’ve got some nice testing to do after I’m done!!

@dibbles that yellow!! Amazing that it’s just the oil!!

Attachments

• ABD82010-C12C-42F0-9799-2151E05FDA53.jpeg
    ABD82010-C12C-42F0-9799-2151E05FDA53.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 23

Super great job there! I always did red palm at 5% but that 2% is just perfect and I may just have to copy you. Thanks for sharing that.

Operation Empty Cupboard continues (where I try as I might to not order more ingredients until I use up my current stash)! Used the last of my kukui oil in 6 lotion bars. These are hard to give away and I may just have to keep them all to myself. I don't use any essential oils because the nutty scent of kukui is intoxicating, transporting....mmm...wait, where am I? On a beach in Hawai'i? Shhh, don't spoil it.

My "Use up FO" project is going well. Today I made a batch of CP soap and used 3 bottles that only had a bit left in them. No complicated designs, but I think they'll all look nice. I've used up 20 bottles (some with only a little left in them) since the beginning of December. My Christmas bath salt and lotion bars used up some that smelled great but didn't work well in soap.

I’m rebatching some failed lemongrass soap, it’s in the Instantpot right now. I don’t know why I keep doing this to myself, I never seem to be able to make decent looking rebatched soap, but hope springs eternal.

I love this soap. ❤️ My kitchen is painted these two yellows. I’ve never used red palm but now I might have to! Honeysuckle sounds delightful - May I ask which vendor?

A good master batching session is so satisfying! 😜
22 bath bomb batches ready to go!
Now today, the same for soap!
Trying to take advantage of the days I took of work for my little doggies dental surgery. She’s doing well today.
New bb designs tub tested well. Now if I can just get that stupid 💩 to work for me!…

Attachments

• 3884F854-196D-4161-B0C1-62B876679948.jpeg
    3884F854-196D-4161-B0C1-62B876679948.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 16
  • F245D50C-EE51-412A-85D1-C15008AF20DD.jpeg
    F245D50C-EE51-412A-85D1-C15008AF20DD.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 16
  • 7CAB5F0A-1FFF-40A5-8F66-8D43108623CC.jpeg
    7CAB5F0A-1FFF-40A5-8F66-8D43108623CC.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 15
Thank you! It is Wild Honeysuckle from WSP. I've always avoided honeysuckle thinking it would be too sweet, but this smells so nice. I received this one in a destash or I probably never would have tried it. Reviews say it behaves well, but that was not my experience at all. I might reorder at some point, but would only plan a very simple or layered soap - with the layers mixed separately.

Tried making translucent M&P glycerin base for the first time! Not trying for transparent.

I infused 75% of the oil mixture with annatto seeds before starting, because I want a smooth, deep orange marmalade color when I finish; color turned out as hoped.

Each step went as described until the last step, when I poured in the sugar syrup: the orange liquid seized up and became difficult to stir, so I just folded it in and shoveled it into the mold. Not exactly pretty (or pourable), but leftover bits wash nicely in the sink.

Thrilled that I got to try this, will seal the pot better and try different heat settings and ways of mixing next time. I’ll find out more in a couple weeks when I remelt and reuse!

Attachments

• 56566B53-24C3-4EC4-A3AA-6DD2B32ADE3D.jpeg
    56566B53-24C3-4EC4-A3AA-6DD2B32ADE3D.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 9
@LisaBoBisa
I have had quite a few sticky, stringy M&P attempts, early on when my recipes were on the oleic side. More or less to find out the hard way, that the only way to get nice and hard M&P soap is to lift hard oils way beyond what I'd be comfortable with for regular bar soap.

This makes perfect sense when you think about it: in regular soap, the saturated FAs from the hard oils have to support the unsaturated FAs from the soft oils (to form a solid bar that doesn't dissolve too quickly) – but in M&P, they also have to take care of the ton of sugar, glycerol, propylene glycol (or whatever solvents you're using).

What is the Sat/Unsat ratio, or the hardness number of your recipe? My regular bar soap recipes are usually around H=25…40, but with M&P I find that H must be above at least 55.

Fun fact for everyone: Sat/Unsat = 1/(100/Hardness-1)

Thank you! I’m going to try this.
I came up with a workaround for the stressful (for me) mold filling time for rebatch. I filled a brownie pan with about 2” of water and put a brambleberry silicone mold in it (The type that stands up on its own). I put the whole thing into the oven for about ten minutes. Then took it out and started filling the mold. Having the mold prewarmed and the water to keep it warm meant the soap batter didn’t turn to frozen lava the second it hit the mold. I made two batches this way and I think I’m onto something!

Back