What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resolvableowl
Here are a few unmolded.
littleones.jpg

I can't stand using little soaps when I could be holding a bar but my younger brother loves them and thinks they are neat.

I have actually poured cold process in these molds and had them survive though I have broken the brittle plastic molds just by touching them and they are not much to speak about.

I did freeze and I had also put a film of lard on them with my finger.

I re-batched with cows milk which would personally cause me more fear then the crayons. I would think milk spoils. I have see crayon eaten (might even have ate one?) have seen them on walls and remember having a great time in kindergarten melting them on the steam base boards that heated our class. I am not in a commercial situation and will use them if they are usable and figure they are probably safer then the latex I let get in my aloe bars which I will also use.
Mostly I am just having fun and seeing what happens. I will try them on myself before subjecting my little brother to them.
Cheers
gww

remember having a great time in kindergarten melting them on the steam base boards that heated our class.
:eek: 🤣
will use them if they are usable and figure they are probably safer then the latex I let get in my aloe bars which I will also use. Mostly I am just having fun and seeing what happens.
When I was at the "having fun" stage you are now, I was making lard & tallow soaps colored with Crayolas. Not all colors work. Cerulean Blue, the blue greens, and Blue Violet were my faves. Scented with EOs. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I made a small batch to test red palm oil at 5% and 2%. @ResolvableOwl has me too worried about bleeding/staining, so I'm just seeing what I can do with it. The color is pretty at both % and I don't think I would ever feel the need to use more than 5% based on what I am seeing right now.
Dibbles, I do a maximum of 5% and get a real good yellow like Dial Soap Brand. FYI, my loaf molds were stained yellow after unmolding and stayed stained even after a good soak and wash. However, it did NOT stain the next batch and went away after that batch.

I cut my Victorian Rose soap. Very happy with the result (was worried I might have a contender for the meat soap thread).
*awaits dig from @ResolvableOwl about glycerin rivers*View attachment 63528
That looks beautiful. I'm afraid to do much with pink unless it's solid as I end up with meat soap more often than not.

@Zing thank you. I have it in my acrylic mold - I hope it doesn't stain that. I didn't even think about the mold. I liked the softer yellow I got with 2%, and the 5% seems like as much color as I would want. I have a layer of uncolored batter between the two with red palm to see if either bleeds into the white portion.

zany
EOs are too expensive to make and then hand out like candy. Heck soap is too expensive for that also but that has not stopped me yet. I am thankful I have not graduated to EOs yet.
Cheers
gww

I just took the last batch of this little test series out of the mold. A new to me FO (pink bar) accelerated and discolored on the top of the loaf. The texture of the soap is not nearly as smooth as the two other batches. I’m not wild about the scent, so that’s it for that one. The teal bar has 2% jojoba added over the calculated recipe and is the softest of the three batches. The blue bar, which was made with oat milk, already feels almost as hard as the batch that accelerated 24 hours earlier.

View attachment 63536
wow! how do you get your oat milk soaps to look so smooth? Mine are always 'textured' from the oat milk.

Pretty soap! I like the diffuse “foggy“ look and have tried to achieve something like your result, but can’t quite get there 😍. Was the batter warm when you were swirling?
It wasn’t hot that’s for sure. Normally I could say what temperature it was but I didn’t use my temp gun @ that time because I’d already realized I was going to have to move quicker than anticipated. I started with oils @ 110F but then added my cooled, room temp (75F) sodium citrate solution. Then my 95-100 F lye solution. The uncolored batter was at medium trace when poured it into the loaf & the blue was un pourable from pour pitcher when I went to drop swirl it in. I had to forcefully scoop & plop a line down middle of loaf, then used swirl tool to sink the blue batter & then swirled like the dickens. Started with loops only, realized that was only shifting blue sludge, so I switched to rather forceful, side to side “swishes” instead. I stopped when I saw hardly any more visible blue “globules”.
Pic of a bar that had a few visible blue globs.
image.jpg

Last edited:
For the first time in weeks, I ventured into my basement soap shop. It's been weeks since I've been nursing a broken foot. What greeted me was the mess after a flurry of making many lotion bar batches for holiday gifts. Copying Mrs. Zing's January practice of "Operation Empty Cupboard" where she won't buy new groceries until the cupboards are bare (save staples), I decided to inventory all my supplies and use up ingredients before ordering new. Now I have a list of stuff to research (how to use carrot seed essential oil, carrot extract, red raspberry seed oil, oakmoss, etc.). I see more lotion bars in my future....

I made an experimental batch of soap today, using a couple of new to me ingredients. It's basically ZNSC but I added some flax seed gel left over from another experiment and some coco shell shavings given to me by someone who makes chocolate tea. They're very mildly exfoliating and smell amazing.

Then, I made a 500 gram batch of Winter/Itchy Scalp shampoo bars. Imagine my surprise when I opened SMF a little while ago and saw that @Zing posted this thread: itchy scalp remedy

Thank you @LynetteO ❤️. I’m putting your “swirl like the dickens“ (SLD) technique on my list of things to try.

For my soapy things today, I organized my soapy stuff and washed dishes. It took hours 🤪

wow! how do you get your oat milk soaps to look so smooth? Mine are always 'textured' from the oat milk.

Compared with your method, I probably made oat milk “lite”. After soaking oats for about 30 minutes in water that started out quite warm, I put the mixture in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and pressed the liquid out of the oats (not quite to the oatmeal stage) using a spoon. I used the milk as the split liquid and added it to the oils.

Compared with your method, I probably made oat milk “lite”. After soaking oats for about 30 minutes in water that started out quite warm, I put the mixture in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl and pressed the liquid out of the oats (not quite to the oatmeal stage) using a spoon. I used the milk as the split liquid and added it to the oils.
So you use the soaking water? And you don’t blends up the oats before you squeeze?

So you use the soaking water? And you don’t blends up the oats before you squeeze?
Yep, I just used the soaking water, no blender involved. I had to stir the liquid in the bowl before I measured out what I needed because fine solids had settled. After stirring, the liquid was more than cloudy, but it didn’t have a fully opaque milk look to it.

Been 2 weeks. With holidays and such. oils at the ready. Lye solution in the wings. Just having a bite to eat, before starting. Batting order......
Nag Champa (avj),
black raspberry vanilla (gm),
Honey suckle ( gm),
heavenly (coconut milk),
Persephone kiss (coconut milk).
Remember, if you hear me screaming.
Throw the marshmallows, throw the marshmallows....

I decided to inventory all my supplies and use up ingredients before ordering new. Now I have a list of stuff to research (how to use carrot seed essential oil, carrot extract, red raspberry seed oil, oakmoss, etc.). I see more lotion bars in my future....
@Zing I can help! Send all the old stuff to me, and then you can buy all the new stuff you want. Ta-da!

*He didn't fall for this when I tried to tell him not to even TRY meadowfoamseed oil, and to immediately send it to me for safe disposal. But maybe it will work this time. Stay tuned...

Been 2 weeks. With holidays and such. oils at the ready. Lye solution in the wings. Just having a bite to eat, before starting. Batting order......
Nag Champa (avj),
black raspberry vanilla (gm),
Honey suckle ( gm),
heavenly (coconut milk),
Persephone kiss (coconut milk).
Remember, if you hear me screaming.
Throw the marshmallows, throw the marshmallows....
Batter up!!

Started late as usual on Valentine's Day soaps. Got in two quick batches last night. My lighting is off; the hearts are actually a light dusty pink, and are scented with Bergamot Grapefruit. The T&S bars are brown and have a gold drizzle on top. They were supposed to be scented with OMH and are full of OMH ingredients... but I accidentally grabbed the Sandalwood Vanilla. Oh well. They were gonna be brown no matter what, and they still smell great. Maybe some OMH will happen tonight for reals.

IMG_1567.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back