What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another batch of soap made. I'm definitely getting a good start on soaps for 2022. This one is Cucumber Mint. I made a couple of batches last year and sold out of it very quickly. It smells amazing!

Attachments

• 20211230_110733_HDR.jpg
    20211230_110733_HDR.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 20
Kitty turned out cute! Wow that morphing green!!!

✨✨✨choir of angels sings!✨✨✨
My vision finally came together!!!
I present my new bath bomb drying area.
Caked with crud from a commercial kitchen, they were a BEAR to scrub clean!!! And I had to add a few screws where a couple welds were busted. But now I’ve got both racks set up, open between them, and the dehumidifier inside. It’s 62 RH in the room, 40-45RH in the racks. Just drying bloomed BS for embeds right now, but I’m SUPER excited!!! Found searching used restaurant equipment online. BOTH for $75!

Also doggy soap, still TOO soft. Had to walk away before I smear more bars.

Negative Covid test this morning, AND sunshine had me energized. FINALLY excited to get back makin!

Attachments

• EE22E46D-A0D7-46C0-999E-62CB64709107.jpeg
    EE22E46D-A0D7-46C0-999E-62CB64709107.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 13
  • B7CE9FA4-174A-49A5-BE4E-2BDE3AC25E86.jpeg
    B7CE9FA4-174A-49A5-BE4E-2BDE3AC25E86.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 14
  • EA1FAE1D-29BE-4C88-9FB1-0DB26688FB0B.jpeg
    EA1FAE1D-29BE-4C88-9FB1-0DB26688FB0B.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 20
  • E8FA7E22-7369-4EA3-9C83-2199943757DC.jpeg
    E8FA7E22-7369-4EA3-9C83-2199943757DC.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DC5BCB68-38F0-4BDC-BF27-33134F35FD3D.jpeg
    DC5BCB68-38F0-4BDC-BF27-33134F35FD3D.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 25
  • B841A472-B895-4662-A5C4-0E29189752EA.jpeg
    B841A472-B895-4662-A5C4-0E29189752EA.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 28
✨✨✨choir of angels sings!✨✨✨
My vision finally came together!!!
I present my new bath bomb drying area.
Caked with crud from a commercial kitchen, they were a BEAR to scrub clean!!! And I had to add a few screws where a couple welds were busted. But now I’ve got both racks set up, open between them, and the dehumidifier inside. It’s 62 RH in the room, 40-45RH in the racks. Just drying bloomed BS for embeds right now, but I’m SUPER excited!!! Found searching used restaurant equipment online. BOTH for $75!

Also doggy soap, still TOO soft. Had to walk away before I smear more bars.

Negative Covid test this morning, AND sunshine had me energized. FINALLY excited to get back makin!
Really nice! So clever with the dehumidifier inside the cage. May I ask, with the metal trays, do you line them with paper? I looked at those but ended up going with plastic and fiberglass. But maybe metal is okay if lined?

Today I went through all the soaps I made these past two years... The scent is cannabis FO from WSP
Ok, please forgive my naivete, and I'm not trying to be rude, I swear, but wouldn't cannabis itself provide the desired "scent" *cough*cough*stink*cough* without a scented oil? I'm cool with weed and all - I'm Canadian - but you WANTED the smell?

Ok, please forgive my naivete, and I'm not trying to be rude, I swear, but wouldn't cannabis itself provide the desired "scent" *cough*cough*stink*cough* without a scented oil? I'm cool with weed and all - I'm Canadian - but you WANTED the smell?

Interestingly, I made a batch of soap with a Cannabis FO and it sold quickly. I even had one woman contact me as soon as I posted about it; she wanted two bars as soon as they were ready to sell. It is, however, a love/hate FO, I found.

Really nice! So clever with the dehumidifier inside the cage. May I ask, with the metal trays, do you line them with paper? I looked at those but ended up going with plastic and fiberglass. But maybe metal is okay if lined?
I bought the fiberglass ones too. (I think you recommended them from webstaurant, I couldn’t remember who it was.) These metal ones will work for bath bombs, but I’ll probably put down some parchment paper.
I’m not sure how much of these racks I’ll use for soap curing, and how much for bath bomb drying.

Misschief
They look great.

I did the opposite today.
Made some bacon fat bars and I cut them while the center was too hot and the centers stuck together after cut and so they all are super rough in the center where I tried to push it back flat and the bars are warped and misshaped as well. These are the ugliest yet but will probably be good garage soap.

I am going to have to search and see what shampoo bars are all about.
I am going to have to search on how bath bombs are used. I must have lived a sheltered life to be so dumb.
I like your pink and sprinkle and they sorta look Christmassy to me.
Cheers
gww

Misschief
They look great.

Made some bacon fat bars and I cut them while the center was too hot and the centers stuck together after cut and so they all are super rough in the center where I tried to push it back flat and the bars are warped and misshaped as well. These are the ugliest yet but will probably be good garage soap.

I am going to have to search on how bath bombs are used. I must have lived a sheltered life to be so dumb.
Cheers
gww
GWW, doesn't mean you're dumb if you've led a sheltered life. It just means you're unfamiliar with them. Basically, bath bombs are made with citric acid and baking soda (along with a few other ingredients) and you drop them into your bath. They fizz, colour the water, scent it and just make it more pleasurable and fun.

Shampoo bars are syndets (synthetic detergent), a no-waste alternative to plastic bottles of shampoo. There are numerous threads about them in the Bath & Body Form here on SMF.

Misschief
Cheers
gww
I too had no clue about bath bombs! When I first started making soap, my kids were like, yeah, soap is fine -- but when are you gonna make bath bombs? What? I had no idea that they are a thing.

Making shampoo bars were both on my 2020 and 2021 bucket lists -- but with just 7 hours to go it likely will get pushed to 2022. I've bookmarked @Misschief 's recipe. My hair is what I like to call "low-maintenance" (okay, okay, really no maintenance) but so many of my friends are screaming for the shampoo bars, mainly wanting to have less packaging in their lives.

I too had no clue about bath bombs! When I first started making soap, my kids were like, yeah, soap is fine -- but when are you gonna make bath bombs? What? I had no idea that they are a thing.

Making shampoo bars were both on my 2020 and 2021 bucket lists -- but with just 7 hours to go it likely will get pushed to 2022. I've bookmarked @Misschief 's recipe. My hair is what I like to call "low-maintenance" (okay, okay, really no maintenance) but so many of my friends are screaming for the shampoo bars, mainly wanting to have less packaging in their lives.
I love shampoo bars but I've been resistant to making them because of the pain in my wrists. I made a batch today to see how well the press works for me and it's going to be a game changer.

I bought the fiberglass ones too. (I think you recommended them from webstaurant, I couldn’t remember who it was.) These metal ones will work for bath bombs, but I’ll probably put down some parchment paper.
I’m not sure how much of these racks I’ll use for soap curing, and how much for bath bomb drying.
Oh, got it. Yes! I recommended the Webstaurant ones. I also got a $16 credit for submitting a video, photo, and text review for them. Right now I have a $156 credit from a review binge I went on for past purchases. So if you have time check out to see if there are fewer than three videos, photos or reviews for the ones you bought. I bought these - my photo and goofy video are the only ones up so far! https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ca...white-fiberglass-market-tray/9991826MTWH.html

Oh, got it. Yes! I recommended the Webstaurant ones. I also got a $16 credit for submitting a video, photo, and text review for them. Right now I have a $156 credit from a review binge I went on for past purchases. So if you have time check out to see if there are fewer than three videos, photos or reviews for the ones you bought. I bought these - my photo and goofy video are the only ones up so far! https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ca...white-fiberglass-market-tray/9991826MTWH.html
Those are the ones I got, but in black. So excited for them! I’m making a big batch of embeds so when they arrive I can make a big bunch of goodies!

Last soaps of 2021! All looking much better once I LEFT THEM THE HECK ALONE for a couple days. (It’s so hard not to mess with them even when they’re not ready!!)
First soap of 2022 will be my deer tallow soap.
Happy Soapy New Year Y’all!!

Attachments

• E97FDE46-AE28-45F9-A164-064908B608CC.jpeg
    E97FDE46-AE28-45F9-A164-064908B608CC.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 11
  • A60B9B7D-0A1C-40F5-9F52-0045CC5C53F3.jpeg
    A60B9B7D-0A1C-40F5-9F52-0045CC5C53F3.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 4B2B13FA-F046-4581-8D3F-2274EB65863A.jpeg
    4B2B13FA-F046-4581-8D3F-2274EB65863A.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 8
Those are the ones I got, but in black. So excited for them! I’m making a big batch of embeds so when they arrive I can make a big bunch of goodies!

Last soaps of 2021! All looking much better once I LEFT THEM THE HECK ALONE for a couple days. (It’s so hard not to mess with them even when they’re not ready!!)
First soap of 2022 will be my deer tallow soap.
Happy Soapy New Year Y’all!!
Beautiful soaps! And hey no reviews on the black ones yet so you can get a $16 credit 👍

Misschief
They look great.

Cheers
gww

GWW I know I lived a sheltered life because I had never used a bath bomb - until I made some (!) - and, I hadn't heard of shampoo or conditioner bars either! I too would like to try making some as I've had some clients asking........... so, you are NOT alone! ;)

Organizing plans for the soap lab. I have a small studio so counter space is prime. Time to deal clutter! I have also been formulating a new black soap! I hope I get time to do some smoky soaping soon! Happy New Year everyone🍾🍾🍾
I watched your black soap YT video yesterday - thanks for sharing that process. I'm not sure I want to stand and stir for all that time, but it's on the "maybe I'll try this someday" list. :)

Soapy thing? got myself frustrated, is what! A few days ago, I made my first batch of soap in a year and a half: beer soap (water replaced 100% with some leftover IPA) scented with Hefewizen fragrance. Uncoloured, in bar molds. They seem to be progressing nicely and the basement smelled like beer for a few days :p
So today was supposed to be a White Peppermint loaf based on Humblebee's recipe. I made this one 2 years ago (with the smaller amount of cocoa butter) and just loved it. Nice hard soap with a delicate swirl and fresh peppermint feel. Because I have lots of cocoa butter sitting around (I may have not MADE soap for a year and a half but somehow I kept buying supplies🤔) I decided to go whole hog and splurge with 20% cocoa butter. I probably have 6 different peppermint essential oils and have soaped with at least half of them, but this time I grabbed the NDA Peppermint Fragrance Oil I bought on a whim. Well, I should've stopped as soon as I opened the bottle and it smelled like.....nothing. But I measured it out, put it in the batter and just smelled...raw batter. My usual experience soaping with peppermint EO is that my eyes tingle and the whole house smells great. This was not happening.
So, my loaf is resting comfortably but it sure doesn't smell like peppermint :-( I intentionally used peppermint to go with the slight chocolate cocoa scent and I'm worried I'm going to get nothing. The kicker is that the Peppermint FO is hardly even cheaper than the Peppermint EO, so what benefit am I even getting? Not the biggest problem in the world, but a definite disappointment to start off the new year :-( :-(

***Lest you think that I maybe have the Yankee Candle Covid Syndrome, I immediately came upstairs and stuck my nose in a jar of peanut butter. It smelled so good that I then stuck a spoon in the jar of peanut butter. (For more information on why peanut butter is the go-to sniff test for covid-related anosmia, see: Heroes of the pandemic: Canadian professor has a peanut butter sniff test to combat COVID-19)

Latest posts

Back