What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great color combo!

Not much soapiness today but wanted to report in on the soapy gifts. Both my brother and sister exclaimed that they will never use their soap (the hot chocolate one, and the moon & mountains). Both sons were excited to get their own entire loaf, and want to do some swapping and sharing. And the lip balms were a hit!

Last edited:
Just a side note on my not knowing to rinse until too late on aloe. We always have aloe and when we get a burn, we just break off a leaf and start rubbing the goo on the burn. This habit set me up to having no clue about needing to drain latex first as we used it strait from dirt for burns. At least I learned something (even if late) by making this soap.
Cheers
gww
@gww the soap looks great! If you so desire, you can often eliminate the partial-gel ring by putting the soap in a warm oven, or on a heating pad. Gotta watch it like a hawk so as not to melt it, however. Here is a YT video that shows one method.

AliOop
I don't really mind soap with partial gel. Since I started using a bit bigger mold, it is what I am getting with most and I do also unmold pretty fast (4/5 hour) and that also makes a small difference. I am only using and giving away and am right now using one with chicken fat in it that looks the same, except for the pink ha ha. It is working good enough for me.

I will watch the video however and if I ever am wanting to impress people, I will try harder. I have not decided if I like gel best or no gel. I think, but do not know, that if I just left them insulated in the mold longer they might reach full but I like rushing it and one time I went close to six hours and cutting was noticeably harder with all the lard and tallow I am using.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers
gww
Ps My wife says it is pretty and she might give the kids a bar each but she wants me not to give it away.

Last edited:
Moving on from this holiday season to the next. Also, the hubs built me a new shelf/table area that will be mostly for shrink wrapping.

Attachments

• E621783C-5549-4BD2-9BD2-F2C80A80F5E0.jpeg
    E621783C-5549-4BD2-9BD2-F2C80A80F5E0.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 40
  • C3F5B9B7-CDA2-44CD-8803-5F8EF3D958E4.jpeg
    C3F5B9B7-CDA2-44CD-8803-5F8EF3D958E4.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 42
Great color combo!

Not much soapiness today but wanted to report in on the soapy gifts. Both my brother and sister exclaimed that they will never use their soap (the hot chocolate one, and the moon & mountains). Both sons were excited to get their own entire loaf, and want to do some swapping and sharing. And the lip balms were a hit!
How was the Steelers soap received? Did you make meadowfoam lotion bars? 😋

I unmolded too soon. Still squishy on the edges. At least I made myself stop. It was NOT easy! Will wash dishes, mix lye, for next soap, and then check again. Also planning to bloom some baking soda to make bath bomb embeds.

Attachments

• 41AEE7FB-80A2-42C3-BEA3-D7904CCB977C.jpeg
    41AEE7FB-80A2-42C3-BEA3-D7904CCB977C.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 41
Ack! I couldn’t wait. Can’t figure out why it’s still SO soft at 20hrs!!! All I can think is it’s my FO. I can’t find my notes on it. But I seem to remember it slowing acceleration on a pull through I did. Cut one squished end piece. Flowers and stems separated a bit, no idea about the rest. And the green grass morphed. Hopefully it brightens up. Kind of a rough day. Trying to be productive. #soapingiscoping

Attachments

• A79DC9CF-8247-473F-9E9C-B6C1CA0BB0AC.jpeg
    A79DC9CF-8247-473F-9E9C-B6C1CA0BB0AC.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 36
How was the Steelers soap received? Did you make meadowfoam lotion bars? 😋
Wow, good memory! Sis's birthday isn't til 1/5. She's getting 8 Steelers soaps so hopefully some can get used while they others are displayed, LOL.

As for my lotion bars, most of the ones I made as gifts had meadowfoam seed oil in them. It was a budget splurge, wanted to do something special. But I like it so much and like how it absorbs into the skin quickly, it may just have to become a staple.

And I've been planning how best to work this this little gift I bought myself for Christmas. Well, let's be honest, its ONE of the gifts I bought myself for Christmas. After having read through @TashaBird 's thread on the pull-through technique, there are a few things I'll need to pick up before I actually make soap with it.

Pull Through.png

Unmolded my first river rock/stone soaps today! I'm excited to do some more in different colors. Just can't figure how I can possibly put a label on without hiding them.View attachment 63427
Didja have to add more to my 2022 soap bucket list?!! JK. These are a. ma. zing! (see what I did there?).

Wow, good memory! Sis's birthday isn't til 1/5. She's getting 8 Steelers soaps so hopefully some can get used while they others are displayed, LOL.

As for my lotion bars, most of the ones I made as gifts had meadowfoam seed oil in them. It was a budget splurge, wanted to do something special. But I like it so much and like how it absorbs into the skin quickly, it may just have to become a staple.
Huh? I've got meadowfoam in all mine as standard, based on your recommendation! I also use apricot kernel oil. I've just rebatched the last lot, which, while the same recipe as the first batch, are far too soft and crumbly in this hot and humid weather. I added carnauba wax and cocoa butter to make them harden' up!

@JoyfulSudz WOW! Love those. I was looking at those stone molds a couple of years ago. Might see if I can hunt them down again now - I want to make some!

Sold three bars of tallow/lard/coconut oil soap with motifs of beehive and bee to sellers on the farmers' market where I regularly do my shopping on Saturdays. This is a great success for my range of selling.

Attachments

• D3CCCEA5-EA69-4F0A-9E66-7C421CBE3158.jpeg
    D3CCCEA5-EA69-4F0A-9E66-7C421CBE3158.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DCDB969A-D31C-4932-845D-5ADBB51F5A13.jpeg
    DCDB969A-D31C-4932-845D-5ADBB51F5A13.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 12
  • B84C9EC5-B8B3-4BA5-917C-FF0E2F8D631C.jpeg
    B84C9EC5-B8B3-4BA5-917C-FF0E2F8D631C.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 22
Right now, I'm somewhere into my most tedious CPLS batch so far. Though, it's more CPOP than CP in the narrower sense: I placed it on a heating mat at 60°C for more than one day (after SBing) until I reached stable emulsion 😵. Canola and macadamia oils seem to mutually delay saponification.

Eventually it “bit” and turned into paste. Giving it another day or two until it's dilution time…

I wonder what I'm doing “wrong”, or, rather, what I had done better, back then when I first tried CPLS with wuite promising/convincing results.

a. ma. zing! (see what I did there?)
Preparing another copyright lawsuit? 🤣

Latest posts

Back