What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hugs @Zing and @Ladka!

I doubt there would be any soapy thing for me between now and New Year's and I just sat down for a minute to check on here lol, but in case I don't get online anytime soon..

Merry Christmas to you and yours, for those who celebrate it! We do here, very enthusiastically, starting much before December lol. It's a time of sharing love and hope at the end of what has been a stressful year, at least for some (definitely me lol)

For those who don't celebrate it like I do, I still wish the essence of love and hope has touched you in some positive way this suck-y year.

Hugs all around!! 🥰

Oh yeah wait, soapy thing.. I did send out my last order for before the 25th this morning lol

I’m starting to look at eBay and Amazon to order candle and soap making stuff but I’m stuck. Wish I knew people here I’m new to soap and candle making. I am here to find like minded individuals to help me learn how to make my own thank you hope to hear from you

I’m starting to look at eBay and Amazon to order candle and soap making stuff but I’m stuck. Wish I knew people here I’m new to soap and candle making. I am here to find like minded individuals to help me learn how to make my own thank you hope to hear from you
Welcome! For soap supplies, buy from reputable companies like Bramble Berry and Bulk Apothecary, etc. Use caution with Amazon and ebay.

Start by going to New Member Introductions and tell us a bit about yourself (always use caution about too personal information)...your experience, what you want to do.

Depending on what kind of process your want to use for making soap...Hot Process, Cold Process, Melt & Pour)...you can post in those forums for advise and recommendations. Some things you can safely purchase from eBay and Amazon, some things you cannot, but my recommendation is similar to @Zing in that you should purchase items like colorants and scents from reputable soap suppliers like BrambleBerry, Rustic Escentuals, Be Scented, Elements Bath & Body, Nurture Soap, Nature's Garden, Mad Micas, TKB Trading and so on an so forth.

What I planned todo, and what I wound up doing were very different! But I enjoyed being in the flow! Told the hubs I was just going to play! I felt like the Mcguyver of soap dough! (Maybe more like McGruber! 😆)
Had a disc w 3 different flowers, decided I only liked the irises. Re-smooshed the others and made more irises, which meant covering the other flower holes. Also, trying stems. It’ll be something. Not sure what, but something.

Attachments

• 75B36CCA-0D07-44A3-9339-B9E724616B04.jpeg
    75B36CCA-0D07-44A3-9339-B9E724616B04.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 541D1209-A2CD-4967-AB44-7BEBA47B2A5B.jpeg
    541D1209-A2CD-4967-AB44-7BEBA47B2A5B.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 26
  • 538FCABF-0C47-47DB-9DBC-5C09A5BADAB1.jpeg
    538FCABF-0C47-47DB-9DBC-5C09A5BADAB1.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 19B42B43-9D76-496A-BEE4-79E2EDBD2A23.jpeg
    19B42B43-9D76-496A-BEE4-79E2EDBD2A23.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 46
My plan was to do a lot of non-soapy things:

1. Clean the house. Decided to cook first, because that might make a mess, right? Cleaning can wait.

2. Make the AH-mazing flourless chocolate torte that is a family tradition (I use almond extract instead of amaretto; have also used Kahlua and have been known to throw in some expresso powder, too). It's in the oven... check.

3 . Make no-cook, non-alcoholic eggnog with eggs pasteurized in my sous-vide. That's a first for me, as I normally use alcohol to kill any potential salmonella. However, one of our guests is a recovering alcoholic, so I will be using rum extract instead of real rum. Because several guests have autoimmune disorders, raw eggs were not an option. Because I'm not the best at cooking milk products without scalding them, cooked eggnog wasn't an option, either. Thus, pasteurized eggs are a must. Plus I get to play with my Instant Pot Pro Crisp with the handy sous-vide function. IP for the win!

But ruh-roh, we have no empty container large enough to store the gallon of eggnog. Some of them may have been, uh, repurposed to the uh, cough cough, soap room. 😁 My bright idea was to make a huge master-batch of lye solution, thus freeing up a gallon container that previously held distilled water. Voila! Soapy things happened in the middle of cooking and baking things. BEST.DAY.EVER.

Now it is time to get on to the green bean casserole. Cheers, everybody!

C01BDBD7-E2EC-4BB1-BAD3-B3E400DD0F54.jpeg

Last edited:
Just wanna play w soap dough. Wrap the hubs gifts, kinda messy, but he doesn’t care. Back to obsessing over irises. Not what I planned on making. #soapingiscoping
Also Santa-zon brought me a cheap but pretty new stand mixer for my bath bombs, and body butters. So pretty!

Attachments

• 73295189-DCCD-4904-899A-EC1512BF196D.jpeg
    73295189-DCCD-4904-899A-EC1512BF196D.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 885B1203-6332-4B1A-9749-B1364D4AD8D9.jpeg
    885B1203-6332-4B1A-9749-B1364D4AD8D9.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 59
Merry Christmas y'all! I'm cleaning up the kitchen after Christmas dinner. I made roast duck and it was great! I spied the bowl of drippings. Duck soap? Hmmm...

Last edited:
Soapy thing today was...thinking and planning .... I was going to clean the basement for 1 hour (where the soap kitchen is) in order to earn 1 hr of soaping. Well, there were too many games and puzzles and activities today, so didn't get the cleaning done, let alone the soaping. So 2nd best thing is to come on here and read and post, right? It has been ONE AND A HALF YEARS since the last time I made a batch of soap....I'm finding it shockingly difficult to get back into. I think about it all the time, but actually getting down to it seems insurmountable. Oh well, tomorrow is another day...

Soapy thing today was...thinking and planning .... I was going to clean the basement for 1 hour (where the soap kitchen is) in order to earn 1 hr of soaping. Well, there were too many games and puzzles and activities today, so didn't get the cleaning done, let alone the soaping. So 2nd best thing is to come on here and read and post, right? It has been ONE AND A HALF YEARS since the last time I made a batch of soap....I'm finding it shockingly difficult to get back into. I think about it all the time, but actually getting down to it seems insurmountable. Oh well, tomorrow is another day...
Well, it’s great to hear from you! I think you should soap first and then clean the basement.

Welcome! For soap supplies, buy from reputable companies like Bramble Berry and Bulk Apothecary, etc. Use caution with Amazon and ebay.
Thank you zing! I’m going to go check it out right now. I know amazon and eBay is bad but that’s the only thing I know how to use when it comes to buying online.

Start by going to New Member Introductions and tell us a bit about yourself (always use caution about too personal information)...your experience, what you want to do.

Depending on what kind of process your want to use for making soap...Hot Process, Cold Process, Melt & Pour)...you can post in those forums for advise and recommendations. Some things you can safely purchase from eBay and Amazon, some things you cannot, but my recommendation is similar to @Zing in that you should purchase items like colorants and scents from reputable soap suppliers like BrambleBerry, Rustic Escentuals, Be Scented, Elements Bath & Body, Nurture Soap, Nature's Garden, Mad Micas, TKB Trading and so on an so forth.
Thank you gecko gotcha I’ll keep it to places that are reputable and limit my use online amazon and eBay. I dont know much about the differences in detail but yes I’ll ask for advise as I don’t ckearly know what hot or cold etc processes. I’m hoping to learn all? Lol again thank you for the advice and I just finished the introduction 👍

Not sure if this is a soapy story, a happy story, or a sad story LOL

A little while back I relocated a bunch of stuff to the garage from my soapy storage spare bedroom because I wanted to paint the spare bedroom.

Over the past week or so I smelled something "off" in the house. Can't figure out what it is. Been working too much to bother really. Kept taking out trash. I cleaned out the refrigerator. Deep cleaned the floors even. I worked overnight Friday night until 11am Saturday. When I walked into the house I'm like WHAT IS THAT SMELL??!! Been sleeping on the sofa for the past few weeks cause I can't get rid of a cold.

I slept for about 3 hours after I got home from work and couldn't take it anymore. OMG garage. The AC, while it is working just fine...leaked all over the place in the garage, and probably has been for a little while.

Sad part...I lost a lot of soap, plus I had a big job to clean up. Happy part...finally got rid of a lot of soap that I had no intention of selling (all the not quite so perfect soap).

Anyway, I grabbed the wet vac and sucked out the pipe outside...there was a freakin frog in it LOL. He survived. A little dazed, but he is ok. Guess that is what blocked up my ac line. Thankfully my ac is still working fine.

I gave two bars to a friend - she was glad to receive them and I was glad to make room for my freshest soap. She even published them on her FB wall. And she was practically the first person to ask if they were not drying and not if they were moisturizing. By the way, she is a vetrerinarian working for a pharmaceutical company (where I also used to work) on human pharmaceuticals registration.

Last edited:
I’m on holiday for the past few weeks and have been recovering from surgery.
So tire more easily, but slowly been tackling all my inventory and finally adding them to soapmaker.(still a long way to go)

I called in a carpenter to measure and quote for some extra overhead cupboards for my soaping stuff which is stored in every nook and cranny I can find.

Yesterday I decided to sort out my hard oils as they usually come in plastic bags inside of a box. I prefer to pour them into buckets for ease of use and they can be sealed. It was 40 degrees Celsius plus and my previously hard coconut oil was liquid so that was easy to pour.
I left my palm oil outside in the shade for a few hours and it melted and that was done.

For the first time I bought PKO and saw that this took a long time to melt and furthermore it hardened so quickly as well.
I got my son to assist as it was a big block, and some spilled on the floor as we poured. Oh the clean up! The oil hardened so quickly we had to scrape it off first before mopping up numerous items.

Now I’m seriously wondering how to use PKO. I had been thinking to use it as half of my CO, but I’m worried the batter will accelerate and I won’t be able to make swirls etc.

Can anyone who uses this regularly kindly offer some tips and assistance?
As always, so grateful for all the support and support from all of you.

Thank you so much.

Back