What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all! Been away for a bit with life being mental and haven't been doing much other than keeping the house supplied with toothpaste... On the upside I finally heard yesterday that the job I've been trying to get is almost certainly mine, bar some (hopefully) straightforward red tape to get through. A great way to start the holidays!

Alongside the more standard xmas presents I'm making a hamper for my family to share, which is a great excuse to make things like beard cream and runner's balm that I wouldn't normally have a use for 😁
My plan is to get everything made this weekend and drop it off to them tomorrow night. So far I have Frankincense and Orange bath bombs:

View attachment 63249

And Smoky Orchid and Cacao bubble bars:
View attachment 63250

The colours on those didn't come out quite as intense as I wanted, but the dough was getting too soggy with adding the dye so I had to stop... still I think you can just about make out the spiral pattern.

Looking forward to a nice long break now and maybe even making some soap again! I'm almost out of salt bars, so that counts as a 'needing more soap', right? (even if I have more than I can use in a lifetime of other kinds? 😆 )
So good to hear from you and great news re your job!

Did my fourth indoor farmer’s market in a neighboring town. Wasn’t overwhelmed with customers but one couple that had bought a bar came back and bought seven $8 bars. 😍 So happy they liked it.

I bought some palm oil and red palm oil from a local soaper who has decided not to use palm anymore. She charged a very fair price, and also threw in a small bag of PKO flakes. I am happy not to have to order palm since I rarely use it (but like to have it around for the occasional recipe). I've never used red palm before, so it will be fun to play with it after learning from some of the other red palm oil creations here on SMF.

I mailed out the last of my soap “ Let it Go” for my kids and grandkids after finishing my first holiday craft fair at the mall! It went well and now, with more confidence, I’m going to work on my plan for next year! Thank you all and enjoy the holidays! The next two weeks here will be watching the goats in heat for the last breeding ! 😂

Attachments

• 95A3CB4F-708E-4C08-BB53-A7F3368C9EFD.jpeg
    95A3CB4F-708E-4C08-BB53-A7F3368C9EFD.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 45
Ok this was technically my last night lol
Sent out a big-ish order of gift sets and lotion bars
View attachment 63242
Pardon the messy counter lol
These bags are totally adorable! Love them

Salted out a bunch of soap scraps yesterday and today spread them out to dry. Here’s a cleanup tip for anyone who needs it. If you ever put dishes with too much (fully cured) soap into your dishwasher and end up with a dishwasher full of suds you can toss in a cup of vinegar and it knocks the suds right down. Don’t know how I missed this fun fact until now.
I add about 1/4 cup of vinegar to the dishwasher every time I run soapy containers through the dishwasher. It helps with the suds and helps cut the extra oils if there are any. Our dishwasher is old so I try to be extra nice to it until we do out kitchen remodel

I use a 2-cup Pyrex and thoroughly melt the ingredients (carefully) in the Microwave to a temp slightly over the melt-point of the wax.

I set up my tubes while waiting for the batch to cool to 160°F -- the maximum temp allowed for the tubes.
View attachment 63129 View attachment 63130
Homemade tube holder. Filled 24 Lip Balms with 1 oz. round container for personal use.

With a steady hand, I pour directly from the Pyrex cup into the tubes. If the batch cools to where it is no longer is fluid, I nuke it for 10-20 seconds, stir and continue pouring. Makes 50 lip balms.

For clean-up, I use A & H Washing Soda, 1 tablespoon dissolved in 16 oz. boiling water. After about 5 minutes, all the wax rises to the top. Skim off with a paper towel and discard. Pyrex cup can then go into the dishwasher.

The soda water can be saved and reheated for the next time. :thumbs: ;)
😁

Hallo! I am from the Philippines so fortunately for me they are bought locally.

I do know however that we have several companies who export so if you do a search for "sinamay bags" or "abaca bags" just maybe you'll find someone who can ship to you from close to where you are 😊

I'll see if I can find some links for you.
Thanks for the info.

Hey all! Been away for a bit with life being mental and haven't been doing much other than keeping the house supplied with toothpaste... On the upside I finally heard yesterday that the job I've been trying to get is almost certainly mine, bar some (hopefully) straightforward red tape to get through. A great way to start the holidays!

Alongside the more standard xmas presents I'm making a hamper for my family to share, which is a great excuse to make things like beard cream and runner's balm that I wouldn't normally have a use for 😁
My plan is to get everything made this weekend and drop it off to them tomorrow night. So far I have Frankincense and Orange bath bombs:

View attachment 63249

And Smoky Orchid and Cacao bubble bars:
View attachment 63250

The colours on those didn't come out quite as intense as I wanted, but the dough was getting too soggy with adding the dye so I had to stop... still I think you can just about make out the spiral pattern.

Looking forward to a nice long break now and maybe even making some soap again! I'm almost out of salt bars, so that counts as a 'needing more soap', right? (even if I have more than I can use in a lifetime of other kinds? 😆 )

Try paste food coloring. This is used to color icing and it can become an intense color with just a dab of it.

Wow, what a wonderful ritual! Salt bars are the perfect thing to joyfully anticipate and forget during the year.

My coconut-related but much less impressive soapy thing today is to melt up the chunk of CO in a bucket, to cast it into chocolate moulds for easier dosage.

Pics to follow (I know you're all craving for everything chocolate bar shaped 😋😜)…
ETA:
co92_bars.jpg

Last edited:
@AliOop and @Ladka you both are kind ladies!

I gave a whole load of bars to the builders who are constructing my parent's building next door (where my soap room is) and a few of them immediately used theirs for washing up before going home. Most said they were giving a few bars to their wives but a few said they were gonna hide them LOL

No other soapy thing besides sending out orders - I'm almost sold out for Christmas, yey! - but I did make a batch of lotion bars.

I’ve been doing lots of soapy stuff lately! Mostly restocking, but also some gift prep/giving too. My brother-in-law made me a bunch of bamboo soap dishes and I’m combining them with soap for gifts. He’s also going to make me a multi- bar soap cutter 😃

Attachments

• A293A442-1A6A-422F-B637-E7B3A25B1866.jpeg
    A293A442-1A6A-422F-B637-E7B3A25B1866.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 28
  • F513EDAC-97AA-415C-8EEB-166FAEA6A13E.jpeg
    F513EDAC-97AA-415C-8EEB-166FAEA6A13E.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DCCB638C-8C3B-4236-815E-B2C109A7173C.jpeg
    DCCB638C-8C3B-4236-815E-B2C109A7173C.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back