What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been doing lots of soapy stuff lately! Mostly restocking, but also some gift prep/giving too. My brother-in-law made me a bunch of bamboo soap dishes and I’m combining them with soap for gifts. He’s also going to make me a multi- bar soap cutter 😃
Your soaps are really nice. Are they all natural colorants? I really like the green one.

I labeled and wrapped lip balms and lotion bars. Tomorrow I head to my sister's for our first family Christmas since Lord knows when. Sis has an early January birthday so I labeled and wrapped soaps -- her precious Pittsburgh Steelers - themed soap, Ta-da! . Peeps, the yellow colorant -- Brambleberry's Buttercup Mica -- faded considerably during the cure! In the photo of my post, it's a vibrant yellow. Now it's faded to barely yellow. Hit me up if you've got a favorite yellow colorant.

Wishing everyone here a Happy and Healthy New Year! To those that celebrate Christmas and honor the birth of a baby whose parents searched for shelter, a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

glow_in_the_dark.jpg
Of course I had to mess around with my freshly arrived strontium aluminate “blue-green” glow-in-the-dark pigment 😃. I just grabbed the next colour neutral soap dough at hand, and kneaded in 2.4% (by total mass) of the pigment (itself wiht with a pale greenish tint). The pigment is remarkably coarse, you can easily see the individual crystals glowing as light dots in the soap. I used my time-honoured UV lamp to “charge” the pigment, so I could easily see when it was all mixed in evenly.

And IT WORKS! It's scary to knead something with your bare hands that appears somewhere between a piece of glowing charcoal (peripheral sight is really insensitive to colour!) and comic-style plutonium. It won't blind you, and after charging the initial bright glow is fading over a minute or so. But still visible enough that you will never have to switch on the light in the bathroom at night 😅.

I'm curious how this does after curing/drying. I can imagine that the moisture and/or the opacity of non-cured soap dough might mess with the glow. Also, of course, I have to check how the lather glows! But it'll take a week or two…
:swinging:

Yey for natural colorants! Your soaps look awesome 😊

No soap making today but lots of planning for next year.. While cleaning house, buying ingredients and prepping for Noche Buena tomorrow lol

View attachment 63338
Of course I had to mess around with my freshly arrived strontium aluminate “blue-green” glow-in-the-dark pigment 😃. I just grabbed the next colour neutral soap dough at hand, and kneaded in 2.4% (by total mass) of the pigment (itself wiht with a pale greenish tint). The pigment is remarkably coarse, you can easily see the individual crystals glowing as light dots in the soap. I used my time-honoured UV lamp to “charge” the pigment, so I could easily see when it was all mixed in evenly.

And IT WORKS! It's scary to knead something with your bare hands that appears somewhere between a piece of glowing charcoal (peripheral sight is really insensitive to colour!) and comic-style plutonium. It won't blind you, and after charging the initial bright glow is fading over a minute or so. But still visible enough that you will never have to switch on the light in the bathroom at night 😅.

I'm curious how this does after curing/drying. I can imagine that the moisture and/or the opacity of non-cured soap dough might mess with the glow. Also, of course, I have to check how the lather glows! But it'll take a week or two…
:swinging:
The soaps i make with GitD always sell out super fast! I love that stuff!! I have never thought about the lather! I look forward to hearing your report.

Zing wrote: "Wishing everyone here a Happy and Healthy New Year! To those that celebrate Christmas and honor the birth of a baby whose parents searched for shelter, a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!"
Dear Zing! The above sarcastic words hurt my religious feelings. Although some members may like them or find them amusing I think you may as well not offend people who have beliefs you do not share.

Ladka
I would think perspective wise that zings comments could just has easily been an attempt not to offend any other by pointing out who he was talking to. It could be looked at both ways and does not have to be looked at as a rubbing your nose in it type of thing but more as a recognition that not all believe the same. Perhaps read again and see for your self if this is possible.
Cheers
gww

Brambleberry's Buttercup Mica -- faded considerably during the cure! In the photo of my post, it's a vibrant yellow. Now it's faded to barely yellow. Hit me up if you've got a favorite yellow colorant.
Oh no! I used that mica too.

I’m ready to join in on the @Zing group hug! Can’t think of a more positive, encouraging member of the forum. Pretty sure we were talking about donating soaps to shelters (women’s and homeless) for the holidays at the time of the post. It was a very natural association to make. Let’s get back to soap and DM people if we have something personal to say.

@Tara_H
In what condition is your yin-yang column mould rotor? Have you ever given it another chance? I wonder what happens if, instead of two pours at a time, you only do one, but from a pitcher that holds a ITP/OPW/wood grain batter 🤔. Tara-Snail-lollipop style spiral tree-rings?

@Tara_H
In what condition is your yin-yang column mould rotor? Have you ever given it another chance? I wonder what happens if, instead of two pours at a time, you only do one, but from a pitcher that holds a ITP/OPW/wood grain batter 🤔. Tara-Snail-lollipop style spiral tree-rings?
I haven't revisited it actually! I keep wanting to do new things so the ones I've already tried end up being neglected... and then there was the too much soap problem. I do like the sound of that idea, maybe you could give it a shot? For science 😁

Well, I'd love to, but I'm not the one with that apparatus at hand… would first have to look around in the workshop to improvise one, that would by far not reach the engineering perfection of yours 😉.

Not making but gifting - my trainer and friend mentioned that he regularly visits an elderly lady in his congregation, so I gave him some soap for her, since I currently have loads to give away. He didn't need any himself as he still has some from about a month ago, but I did give him some of the fudge we make once a year. He doesn't celebrate Christmas so we don't do presents as such, but the fudge always goes down well. 😊

Latest posts

Back