What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Master batched 20 batches of my bath bomb recipe. It was exhausting! But, I’m excited for all the fun, once I recover. The hubs is away all weekend, and my day job is super slow. So, hopefully I can get after it!

Attachments

• 0E2FC60D-D3F5-4EA5-8E36-0B1645E41B5F.jpeg
    0E2FC60D-D3F5-4EA5-8E36-0B1645E41B5F.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 220FBED4-5283-465A-9675-9F54B3519A45.jpeg
    220FBED4-5283-465A-9675-9F54B3519A45.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 27
I'd gone to Big Lots for Coconut Oil ( aka c-oil ) noticed every container had the same dark spots throughout the entire jug, it wasn't out of code' looks rancid to me! did not buy it.

I opted to run to Costco's for their C-Oil it's a great quality & has that natural coconut scent I just love, however it does change the scent in soap w/ whatever FO / EO you use just a wee bit, but I don't mind.

Oh they also had the "Cuisinart hand mixer w/ attachments " I may send the one I just ordered back & pick up that one, haven't decided its $29.00 bucks 💫👍🏼.

Attachments

• A791B226-4FC1-474C-9C90-C8074EF1D804.jpeg
    A791B226-4FC1-474C-9C90-C8074EF1D804.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 21
  • D2B11E30-2ADC-43D3-8286-6B713A4D9800.jpeg
    D2B11E30-2ADC-43D3-8286-6B713A4D9800.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 25
My soapy thing today was that I filed a formal application for the Litesa Cubeba fan club. I put a single drop of this fabulous EO in a one-shower LS sample (along with lemon tea tree, juniper, and fir). Ladies, I tell you, there wasn't much space left in my bathroom! I could still smell the litsea two hours later.
It's somehow unsettling that I don't know how to dose such EOs even more cautiously than drop-wise?

@Peachy Clean Soap
wavellite33348c.jpg
Similar looking example from a mineral (source)

It might be that it's just some weird effect of how the coconut oil crystals grew when it solidified. You can faintly see the cells of radially grown crystals, and the dark spots are in the centre (purest, clearest crystals with least light scattering in the middle).
But it also might be air bubbles or dirt. C-oil isn't that exotic that one couldn't switch to another source.

View attachment 62987I finished this project- an old dresser I refinished to use in my soap room to hold soap, supplies and equipment. View attachment 62986
:beatinghead:I already wondered why you've gone through all that effort to scrape off that gorgeous turquoise, just to replace it by an old-and-shabby wood finish instead.

:beatinghead:I already wondered why you've gone through all that effort to scrape off that gorgeous turquoise, just to replace it by an old-and-shabby wood finish instead.

Sorry- mixed up the photos. When my oldest son was about 4 he gouged the brown dresser with a screwdriver. I told him he could have new furniture when he was old enough to take care of it. Apparently that's at age 17 😂.

I'd gone to Big Lots for Coconut Oil ( aka c-oil ) noticed every container had the same dark spots throughout the entire jug, it wasn't out of code' looks rancid to me! did not buy it.

I opted to run to Costco's for their C-Oil it's a great quality & has that natural coconut scent I just love, however it does change the scent in soap w/ whatever FO / EO you use just a wee bit, but I don't mind.

Oh they also had the "Cuisinart hand mixer w/ attachments " I may send the one I just ordered back & pick up that one, haven't decided its $29.00 bucks 💫👍🏼.

I read where someone suggested Big Lots Coconut Oil. I purchased 10 of them. Something was not quite right! My Soap did not turn out well! I learned my lesson and will never use it again. I use quality ingredients in the making of my soaps and other products, however, this was not! Blessings!

I made some lotion bars this week. I did a batch with sweet almond oil and a second batch with coconut oil. Both are fabulous, glide on the skin, non-greasy, and I love them.

Last year I made the exact same recipe (from the Soap queen) using the exact same bottle of sweet almond oil, the same butter from the same jars, etc. and the result was gritty. The lotion went on, but I had to rub it hard and it left small pieces of grit on my skin, nothing harsh. Just wondering if anyone knows why they were different.

Attachments

• LOTION BARS_DEC 2021_3A.jpg
    LOTION BARS_DEC 2021_3A.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 11
I read where someone suggested Big Lots Coconut Oil. I purchased 10 of them. Something was not quite right! My Soap did not turn out well! I learned my lesson and will never use it again. I use quality ingredients in the making of my soaps and other products, however, this was not! Blessings!
Oh no! I have promoted Big Lots coconut oil. What was wrong with your soap?

I have a question that is probably too broad, but I don't know how to pair it down. It's about fragrances in cold processed soap. I searched the forum before I posed this question, but did not find an answer. I know soap has a natural scent. When I walk by my soaps they smell wonderful, but they don't hold the fragrance. Is this common with age? Is it specific to the scent used? The EO and FO's that I used were purchased new from reputable sources and were not outdated. The peppermint scent last the longest, but it fades after a few months.

So are FO's stronger than EO's for using. Does one last longer than the other? Will the scent last longer if I mix several scents? I've never tried mixing more than one.

Thanks for your help.

Thrift stores are a great place to find "gently used" stick blenders for $5.
You are very lucky to find them!
In the past 6 years I have not found a single stick blender in any thrift store, & I tend to visit at least 4 or 5 thrift stores every time I travel as well as the one in my own town.
Zany
I have to rely on mom for goodwill and such. We all live in the boonies with the closest probably 50 miles away and they go to the doctor more then me and so make more opportunities to shop in such places. Myself, I am a bit of a hermit and have a hard time leaving home for a 6 mile drive for milk.
I truly get that. I don't have to go 6 miles for milk where I currently live, but there were some years when I would walk 2 mountain miles to the nearest grocery store. I was younger and fitter then & used to do a lot of walking rather than driving when it wasn't far & I could plan purchases accordingly. I have done the same here as well but not for a few years, as I tire more easily, it seems.
And thrift stores seem to be few and far between in some parts of the country. A few years ago, I went to shop at the ones I used to frequent when I lived in the Santa Cruz mountains and most of them had closed up shop altogether. I was very disappointed.
Oh no! I have promoted Big Lots coconut oil.
Right, you guys keep saying Big Lots has CO on sale all the time. I've been to 3 recently and none had coconut oil on their shelves. One in the cities here, and the other 2 in towns somewhere between here and Texas; I don't quite remember what states even. I even asked about it at the one locally and the gal said, yeah we have it sometimes.

Sitting at a farmers market but it’s slooooow… I thought these would be big sellers but no one has bought them! 🤔
View attachment 63035
That's the funny thing about markets. You never know what will sell. What you think will sell like hotcakes sits on the table forever and one that you think will never sell goes in one day. I've stopped trying to figure it out. I just make it. It will sell eventually. :)

Pretty soap by the way.

You are very lucky to find them!
In the past 6 years I have not found a single stick blender in any thrift store, & I tend to visit at least 4 or 5 thrift stores every time I travel as well as the one in my own town.

I truly get that. I don't have to go 6 miles for milk where I currently live, but there were some years when I would walk 2 mountain miles to the nearest grocery store. I was younger and fitter then & used to do a lot of walking rather than driving when it wasn't far & I could plan purchases accordingly. I have done the same here as well but not for a few years, as I tire more easily, it seems.
And thrift stores seem to be few and far between in some parts of the country. A few years ago, I went to shop at the ones I used to frequent when I lived in the Santa Cruz mountains and most of them had closed up shop altogether. I was very disappointed.

Right, you guys keep saying Big Lots has CO on sale all the time. I've been to 3 recently and none had coconut oil on their shelves. One in the cities here, and the other 2 in towns somewhere between here and Texas; I don't quite remember what states even. I even asked about it at the one locally and the gal said, yeah we have it sometimes.
I buy it online - they have free shipping over $50. But I don’t know if that’s only if you are within a certain distance of a store? The online ordering is prompt, too. I got the Big Lots tip from @AliOop .

Last year I made the exact same recipe (from the Soap queen) using the exact same bottle of sweet almond oil, the same butter from the same jars, etc. and the result was gritty. The lotion went on, but I had to rub it hard and it left small pieces of grit on my skin, nothing harsh. Just wondering if anyone knows why they were different.
I always love seeing your smile pop up in the forum! Yay, lotion bars! I wish I could help you on your glitch from a year ago. I've made boat loads of lotion bars without experiencing grittiness. Given it was the same ingredients, I'm wondering if you were absolutely sure that everything was completely melted? I'm not sure the reason, but I read somewhere that you should melt shea butter slowly at low to medium heat. Glad this year's batch is good!
Sitting at a farmers market but it’s slooooow… I thought these would be big sellers but no one has bought them! 🤔
View attachment 63035
Heck, yeah, I'd buy that! I'd probably buy the whole batch! Great photo with the wood. Reminds me of the Christmas card we made last year (Mrs. Zing and I have made holiday cards since the late 80s). This photo is from Google but similar to the one we made. As I type this, now I'm thinking that next December I copy pay homage to you with a coordinated soap and card design!
1638636198993.png

I always love seeing your smile pop up in the forum! Yay, lotion bars! I wish I could help you on your glitch from a year ago. I've made boat loads of lotion bars without experiencing grittiness. Given it was the same ingredients, I'm wondering if you were absolutely sure that everything was completely melted? I'm not sure the reason, but I read somewhere that you should melt shea butter slowly at low to medium heat. Glad this year's batch is good!

Sorry, looks like I replied to a post instead of starting a new topic. Yes, I'm sure I did the previous one the same. I'm one of those people who measure twice, cut once. I gather everything I need and verify that I have it. I put all the ingredients in separate containers and then followed the directions (heating, melting, freezing). When last year's product came out, it looked and felt the same as the previous ones. I also stored them in the same place (the bathroom). I used them. I got the same experience with the feel of the lotion, just the grittiness with confusing. Glad it wasn't repeated this year.

I always love seeing your smile pop up in the forum!
I always love seeing your smile pop up in the forum!

Thank you. In high school, my nickname was Smiles.

Two years ago I decided to do a holiday season soap giveaway to friends in exchange for donations to a local women’s shelter. It’s a way for me to support an organization I believe in and also a good way to feel okay about accumulating soap. I’m so pleased that this year people have been asking me when the soap will be ready. I’ve been struggling to get the labeling done, but may have finally passed the halfway mark.

Here’s the daunting soap line up!

41476ADE-3B11-4DEE-BA4A-2221C218AB2C.jpeg

Back