What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back the gun up.... most likely, you're too close.
I know - I saw your advice about that on another thread. I’ve been working hard to find the Goldilocks distance. It seems though that if I back up enough to not blow out the plastic it doesn’t do anything. One thing I am wondering about is that I am using “Biolefin” - which is more biodegradable than regular plastic. When you put the heat gun to it, it shrinks in a sort of honeycomb pattern. I think this stuff is more sensitive - I’ve used regular plastic and not had this happen, but I was trying to use something that was slightly more sustainable. Keep meaning to research this issue.

I’ve found that I ruin less wraps if I stack a few bars and heat the sides first from a safe distance (what that distance is seems to change with every swipe of the heat gun!) then un-stack and hit the top and bottom gently to tighten. I don’t blow out as many seams that way. Maybe they have a chance to cool and strengthen and the stack more evenly distributes the heat!?!?! Who knows but it works for me.
I do that too and it does help. Usually it’s the face of the bar that I blow out.

Last edited:
I made a loaf of champagne scented soap in my almost perfected recipe. Then, since everything was out, I made a batch of salt bars too. I scented it with 8th and Ocean from NS which smells divine. If that one sticks I will make sure I never run out!
8th and Ocean sticks for a least a year in my regular soaps. I just used it in a batch of salt bars about a month ago and so far, so good.

Last night I made shower steamers for the first time. They were fun. I got the recipe from Cada website. I think I might buy the little auto-loader that she sells to make the little perfect cubes. I made half-sized bath bombs, and they were a little hard to get out. By the time I got on a roll of getting them out pretty nicely, I was out of mix lol.

Overall, I think they were a little expensive to make, but I guess cheaper than buying them. I got 21 out of the batch, including the broken one that I just HAD to try to squeeze together to fix a crack. I think the size is a little big. I ended up in the shower longer than I needed to be waiting for it to finish dissolving. I ended up moving it from a dryer end of the shower to an area that got more water...now my feet feel all menthol-y LOL.

The smell is lavender eo. I seem to be on a lavender kick this weekend. I couldn't smell the lavender over the menthol though. But then again, all I have been smelling for the past two days is lavender, so it might just be my nose.

So for personal use (not selling them) how should I store them? I've never made them before, or bath bombs for that matter. Will they break up in a baggie? Definitely not going through the trouble of shrink wrapping them.

I’ve found that I ruin less wraps if I stack a few bars and heat the sides first from a safe distance (what that distance is seems to change with every swipe of the heat gun!) then un-stack and hit the top and bottom gently to tighten. I don’t blow out as many seams that way. Maybe they have a chance to cool and strengthen and the stack more evenly distributes the heat!?!?! Who knows but it works for me.
I can’t wait to try stacking! I’ve got a new puck shaped bath bomb mold that I’m using with the press. I’ll airbrush some simple stencils on the surfaces. But, those will lend nicely to stacking and shrinking!

I can’t wait to try stacking! I’ve got a new puck shaped bath bomb mold that I’m using with the press. I’ll airbrush some simple stencils on the surfaces. But, those will lend nicely to stacking and shrinking!
Maybe it keeps the front and back from pulling or something, it just works for me. And it’s quicker too! I’m just jealous you got the new system… the wand!!! 😍😁😝

@TashaBird !!!!
201844E6-3FFF-421A-9295-064BA6AC2E92.jpeg
This is my favorite pull through!!! If anything happens to it I will be sad. Have you broken a plate yet? I was pulling one out and it snapped off half way through. The batter was pretty thin, so I’m not sure what happened.They just turn out soooo pretty! I should have waited until tomorrow morning to cut, still kinda soft, but I was sooo excited!

I'm finally over my soap burn-out and made 4 batches this week. I'm out of several kinds of soaps, and almost out of a couple of others, so I thought I would re-stock. I also created a costing spread sheet for my soap to see how much it actually costs me to make! I can't believe how much some of the essential oils I bought actually cost per ounce :eek: (Clary sage and Bergamot, I'm looking at you!)

I am making a 16 oz batch of liquid soap that my goal is to try and dilute all at once. My last batches I kept and diluted paste as needed. Diluting seems to be the hardest part. I am using lard which might not be normal to most but I liked my other batches and the kids liked it and so that is good enough for me. I read that zany from CO had good luck with diluted lasting a long time with out issue and so plan on putting it in a gal jug and hoping for the best.
I read the site for ideals I like and then try them and so far it is going well.
Cheers
gww

Last edited:
Thrift stores are a great place to find "gently used" stick blenders for $5. If you're not prowling the aisles of Goodwill and ARC now, I feel we've somehow failed you in your soapmaking journey. I have 3 at the moment. Good to have a back-up. I did have another one... almost toothless too... it was plastic and the first one I bought for $10 at Target. It melted in 2011 when I first started making GLS (Liquid Soap made with glycerin to replace the water portion of the lye solution. HOT HOT HOT! I broke down and paid full price for a Cuisinart Smart Stick with a stainless steel shaft. Luv it. 😁
Cool zany! The best stick blender I have, and the first one I bought, is a Braun found at Savers thrift store. I’ve had it 3 years and still going! Black Friday sale on Amazon I saw a refurbished quisinart for $18 Normally $60. I got it the other day in the mail. Boxed with all the trimmings! It should be framed 😂stainless steel shaft too. I could say more but it’s already created several jokes ….

@Basil Well done!
One of my other SB's is a Braun from a thrift store. They are the best of the oldies but goodies! I used to have 2 of them but sent one to Carrie Petersen who in this video at 2:50 says how much she'll miss her Braun when it dies. I considered it a small "Thank You" for introducing me and the rest of the liquid soap making community to GLS. :videovisit:

Last edited:
@Basil Well done!
One of my other SB's is a Braun from a thrift store. They are the best of the oldies but goodies! I used to have 2 of them but sent one to Carrie Petersen who in this video at 2:50 says how much she'll miss her Braun when it dies. I considered it a small "Thank You" for introducing me and the rest of the liquid soap making community to GLS. :videovisit:
Wow great video! And that Braun looks and sounds just like mine! I always wonder why it ended up at Savers and think maybe some poor lady passed and her family didn’t appreciate what it was .. I can’t imagine anyone letting go of something that works so well ….
I looked on Amazon last night and they were actually on sale for extended cyber Monday it seems if anyone is interested. Thank you for the video @zany!

Maybe it keeps the front and back from pulling or something, it just works for me. And it’s quicker too! I’m just jealous you got the new system… the wand!!! 😍😁😝

@TashaBird !!!!
View attachment 62938
This is my favorite pull through!!! If anything happens to it I will be sad. Have you broken a plate yet? I was pulling one out and it snapped off half way through. The batter was pretty thin, so I’m not sure what happened.They just turn out soooo pretty! I should have waited until tomorrow morning to cut, still kinda soft, but I was sooo excited!
I broke a plate once when I thought I should crank down the bolt with a tiny wrench.
Edit: I also broke one with a FO that accelerated.

Ordered my national shrink wrap system last week and just called to follow up. They won’t ship until next Monday. 😭

Finished my holiday gift soaps. Here they are. There are 2 lotion bars too. I’m spoiling everyone. Now just packaging everything up. Don’t know why I’m ahead of the game this year. Think I was so worried about the mail slowdown.View attachment 62991gView attachment 62992
Wow, @Martha , that is really something! Great looking soaps, great looking packaging. Your recipients will be thrilled.
Are your lotion bars in the photo and what's your recipe? You know I'm obsessed with lotion bars.

Finished my holiday gift soaps. Here they are. There are 2 lotion bars too. I’m spoiling everyone. Now just packaging everything up. Don’t know why I’m ahead of the game this year. Think I was so worried about the mail slowdown.View attachment 62992
Ditto on what Zing said, and also I'm loving the names. Especially Endpaper, for some reason it's really evocative!

Back